Best Place In Chiang Mai To Buy Monitor,laptop Battery &ssd ?

worgeordie

I am looking to buy a new monitor,must have holes on back for vesa mount,say 21 -24 inch,a new laptop battery

for my daughters Acer laptop and finally a SSD, solid state drive, say 120GB,can anyone recommend the best place

to look.?

On Ebay uk I can see plenty SSD,Laptop batteries,at decent prices,and I could get

my other daughter to buy them for me and post here,with 17.5% VAT and postage

costs,maybe cheaper here,but it is sometimes difficult finding stuff here,and to find

actually the type and model that I need.,then there is the slight chance the parcel

could get lost in the post,so if possible i would like to purchase here.

Thank you regards Worgeordie.

Try Panthip Plaza for the battery there are several vendors, if they don't have one in stock they can order from Bangkok or open it up and replace the cells inside.

You will find monitors and SSD's also at Panthip 2nd floor.

Hi Mckeem, Thats good to know , they can open the battery and put new cells inside,maybe I can upgrade

it from the 6 cells it has now to 9 or even 12, that should increase the battery time on the computer.

Thanks regards Worgeordie

Try Panthip Plaza for the battery there are several vendors, if they don't have one in stock they can order from Bangkok or open it up and replace the cells inside.

You will find monitors and SSD's also at Panthip 2nd floor.

Hi Mckeem, Thats good to know , they can open the battery and put new cells inside,maybe I can upgrade

it from the 6 cells it has now to 9 or even 12, that should increase the battery time on the computer.

Thanks regards Worgeordie

They will just replace the standard Li-on cells .. crack open the battery pack,, peel off the spot soldered connections and replace the new cells spot soldering the original connctors

then glue the hopefully undamaged battery case back together.

A 9 cell pack would be bulky heavy and pricey if available - you can ask if they can procure one for you though.. They used to do this at Amorn before it was 'revamped' - a young lady would spot solder the connectors to the new cells if you took them out of the pack yourself and bought the new li-on cells there about 300B each.

For monitors ground & 2nd floor panthip

I saw a good selection of SSD's next to ICON 2 days back (Intel and another Taiwan? manufacturer) - just check prices between there and Panthip theres some at Computer Citeee also..

I'd also go with Panthip; less in your face and they have everything, including an IT City (1st floor, south side) and a Goodspeed (1st floor, by south escalators) for repairs. The main battery place is on the 2nd floor (3rd to Americans) middle, west side. Be aware that even batteries for older Acer models are around 3k--try the arc welder/freezer trick if it's fubar anyway. You'll see monitors and drives all over. If you want a good monitor (IPS), there's a Dell outlet on 3rd floor of Airport Plaza, just up from IT City. The U2412 is a fantastic bit of kit and comes with VESA 100.

You may have more joy with Icon and the others, and Amorn is always fun to wander around, but a bit more hurried.

Edited by jackr

I'd also go with Panthip; less in your face and they have everything, including an IT City (1st floor, south side) and a Goodspeed (1st floor, by south escalators) for repairs. The main battery place is on the 2nd floor (3rd to Americans) middle, west side. Be aware that even batteries for older Acer models are around 3k--try the arc welder/freezer trick if it's fubar anyway. You'll see monitors and drives all over. If you want a good monitor (IPS), there's a Dell outlet on 3rd floor of Airport Plaza, just up from IT City. The U2412 is a fantastic bit of kit and comes with VESA 100.

You may have more joy with Icon and the others, and Amorn is always fun to wander around, but a bit more hurried.

Thanks everyone for your help,saves me a lot of hassle, 3K seems a lot for a battery, can get off ebay uk for

15-20 pounds,yes the postage costs rule that out, but also of Aliexpress (china) for 25 $ post paid Thailand.

Arc welder trick , sounds like Frankenstein, if it works, ill shout out its alive, its alive, with my luck would most likely,blow

up in my face!

I check out prices of the Dell, at Airport Plaza and compare with Invadeit who also stock them I believe..

Once again thanks everyone regards Worgeordie

I recently bought an Intel SSD, 120GB. I went to every shop in Panthip and only one had this SSD for sale - at 4,990 Baht. I laughed at them and went to the 3 computer plazas just around the NW corner of the moat (I can never remember their names - I just know there are 3 of them!). In the second of the 3, going clockwise around the outer moat road, upstairs at the back, I found a shop that sold be one for 3,490 (or something close - I forget precisely).

I almost invariably find a better range of stock, and better prices, on all IT stuff at these 3 plazas when compared to Panthip. In fact I think I have probably made my last trip to Panthip - it is a plaza in major decline, whilst the 3 on the moat are thriving. Hardly surprising based on my 7 years of experience comparing the two!

You can buy online from invadeit.co.th but if you are in Chiang Mai the plazas are cheaper, especially when you have added in postage costs. I use their website to get a guide to prices; hence being able to laugh at the ridiculous price offered to me at Panthip. Had I not done this I may have been seriously ripped off...

PS I love my SSD. The computer boots extremely quickly and programmes open INSTANTLY.

Edited by JimShortz

I recently bought an Intel SSD, 120GB. I went to every shop in Panthip and only one had this SSD for sale - at 4,990 Baht. I laughed at them and went to the 3 computer plazas just around the NW corner of the moat (I can never remember their names - I just know there are 3 of them!). In the second of the 3, going clockwise around the outer moat road, upstairs at the back, I found a shop that sold be one for 3,490 (or something close - I forget precisely).

I almost invariably find a better range of stock, and better prices, on all IT stuff at these 3 plazas when compared to Panthip. In fact I think I have probably made my last trip to Panthip - it is a plaza in major decline, whilst the 3 on the moat are thriving. Hardly surprising based on my 7 years of experience comparing the two!

You can buy online from invadeit.co.th but if you are in Chiang Mai the plazas are cheaper, especially when you have added in postage costs. I use their website to get a guide to prices; hence being able to laugh at the ridiculous price offered to me at Panthip. Had I not done this I may have been seriously ripped off...

PS I love my SSD. The computer boots extremely quickly and programmes open INSTANTLY.

Hi Jim, I just won the bid on a new Crucial 128GB SSD on Ebay uk, for 2000+- Bht

I dont think post will be much, Is it easy to format an SSD and I would like to transfer everything

from my old hard drive on to it,could I do it,or best to take to one of the repair shops in say ICON

Mall,?, and would they need my computer or just the 2 hard drives ? regards Worgeordie, PS

changing RAM is the most technical thing I have done inside a computer.

Google is your friend... There are lots of articles on this. Try Googling "add ssd to computer" and do some reading. That brings up some good detailed articles.

I would definitely be doing a clean install to the SSD and them format the old disk to use as a data drive.

Just a thought but I would never format a drive which had just been my main squeeze system drive. I might delete a lot of system and other files and create a new partition for storage, but there's never been a time when I didn't forget some file I wish I had. I usually just put the old drive away somewhere gathering dust, and by the time I might want it it's so out of date, small and slow I don't want it anyway. In the meantime out it will come a couple of times to recover something. If I'm using a tower, I'll change the jumpers to slave, rename the boot files using BAK and it's always there for whatever.

$.02