Doi Suthep

JeffreyMcCollum

I due try to stay away from this place with thier heavy handed sales and forced ticket sales of a circus.

However this morning headed up there to try out a new motorbike on the hills and what a trash heap. Litter everywhere. Do they have no pride? No respect for the temple ? Guess it is now a 100% money grab free for all.

Although I am not a fan of double pricing which the temple has (although they do recognise Thai Drivers licences) they do seem to invest some of the money in tourist facilities. The lift and furnicular railway which replaces the old cable car which collapes dome years ago with signifigant loss of life can not be cheap. They also have installed a very good wheelchair ramp to get to the top level.

It's a very sad state of affairs up there and you wonder why the Temple Monks don't get something sorted out with their Thai followers and have a big clean up campaign.

Generally the Thai countryside is treated as one gigantic rubbish tip by the Thai people who just don't seem to care or understand anything about respect for nature or their surroundings. Education, education,education is what's needed but TIT, we just know it won't happen.

I find that the way of thinking here concerning many aspects of life is just so different than the way Westerners, including myself, were brought up that often it can be very difficult to understand. People dismiss it too quickly without trying to think the way the locals do, which might help. I've observed that things that have an odor are not thrown on the ground. I've been admonished for throwing an banana peel into the jungle for instance. Is this because they squat and eat so it would produce a bad smell and bugs where they eat? If only I knew. I have read that Thais base their reality on superstition as we do on facts. I recall that once there was a harmless rat snake in my yard and my lovely Mother-in-law (I kid you not!) suggested that we kill it as it was poisonous, but knowing otherwise I let it be. It got me thinking, as I respect the wisdom of the elders here, especially in matters they have more experience, me being a kid form the burbs of Boston, and what I came up with was this. The snakes could bite you, most probably when you were working in the rice field, which use to be tilled by water buffalo and you could get an infection from getting the feces in the puncture and perhaps die since there was no medical care available. I agree that education would have helped her understood that her grandchildren were not in harms way and at the same time I can see where she and her cause for concern was coming from.

I find that the way of thinking here concerning many aspects of life is just so different than the way Westerners, including myself, were brought up that often it can be very difficult to understand. People dismiss it too quickly without trying to think the way the locals do, which might help. I've observed that things that have an odor are not thrown on the ground. I've been admonished for throwing an banana peel into the jungle for instance. Is this because they squat and eat so it would produce a bad smell and bugs where they eat? If only I knew. I have read that Thais base their reality on superstition as we do on facts. I recall that once there was a harmless rat snake in my yard and my lovely Mother-in-law (I kid you not!) suggested that we kill it as it was poisonous, but knowing otherwise I let it be. It got me thinking, as I respect the wisdom of the elders here, especially in matters they have more experience, me being a kid form the burbs of Boston, and what I came up with was this. The snakes could bite you, most probably when you were working in the rice field, which use to be tilled by water buffalo and you could get an infection from getting the feces in the puncture and perhaps die since there was no medical care available. I agree that education would have helped her understood that her grandchildren were not in harms way and at the same time I can see where she and her cause for concern was coming from.

Well said.

Also not having seen the pile of litter I wouldn't know. But it would not surprise me if it contained all things of modern civilized countries invention'swai2.gif

• Like 1

and despite the beauty of the trek up there,; there are areas of trickling streams literally in the middle of no where, full of plastic bottles, bicycle tyres, car parts, clothes which must have been launched from the bridge up there only to settle in the narrower dried up areas.

Its a disgrace, but out of sight..out of mind same with everything

and despite the beauty of the trek up there,; there are areas of trickling streams literally in the middle of no where, full of plastic bottles, bicycle tyres, car parts, clothes which must have been launched from the bridge up there only to settle in the narrower dried up areas.

Well I suppose they could burn the refuse. Oops they will soon.

As I said in the post just before yours all creations of civilized countries trying to bring civilization to Thailand. [Western Brand Civilization]

Thanks JC, now I 'm beginning to understand the smoke pollution burn offs. Perhaps, the peasant farmers with no future & no hope are trying to hasten their exit from their current life so that they can be reincarnated a little higher up the social ladder. Maybe even as high as tuk tuk drivers. Drove by my nearest neighbour this afternoon, bringing my kids home. Recent garden cuttings were "burning", more like smoking. 3 generations were sat in the garden. Granny, Ma & Pa & baby. Said smoke (quite thick) was drifting straight through them. They looked as happy as pigs in sh1t. Wish I'd captured this happy scene on camera.

As I said in the post just before yours all creations of civilized countries trying to bring civilization to Thailand. [Western Brand Civilization]

Sorry HelloDolly, but i have to ask, are you really excusing complete lack of care regarding pollution on the availability of western branded products...?

Its not just Doi Suthep, every time I pull up on the side of a road while out riding I see filth and trash.

I have ridden almost every part of Thailand on big bikes and it is disgusting.

I am sure if a media campaign was started titled "Don't Trash Thailand" it wouldn't make an iota of difference.

Maybe just lead to an immigration check on overstayers!

Edited by justcruisin

Sorry HelloDolly, but i have to ask, are you really excusing complete lack of care regarding pollution on the availability of western branded products...?

Not exactly eek. I am from the states and can remember the jokes after Americans landed on the moon about how easy it would be to tell it was Americans by the trash.

I do believe we could try to educate them a little bit along with telling them how great are products are. You know what I mean instead of just out and out bashing take a little responsibility. I guess you could say it was a little tongue in cheek.coffee1.gif

Even today in North America I see sections of highways that are trash free and it is not because Americans don't litter. It is because private enterprise, some unions and social organizations agree to police certain sections of the roads. Not sure how many states or other countries do it but I do know it is done in places in the states and Canada. More in the states I think. Don't know about the rest of the world.

Edited by hellodolly

When I was a kid in '60s America, many/most passengers routinely tossed cans, bottles and trash from car windows. But in the ensuing years a national campaign of print and television advertising changed habits.

I grew up on a farm in the 60's and we had a burning barrel, and the shores of Lake Michigan were extremely polluted. You are right... All that changed a decade later. Many times I think living in Thailand for me is going back to the '60s!
  • Like 1

The earth is a dump, some places more, some less, It cost one or more generations to educate residents.to handle the litter from the developed civilization. I also feel myself nauseoes to see the garbage in the environment. But... If you have been in India, over here it's not even that bad.

Allright, we can complain but exept taking care of our own trash, what do we do about it? Even in my country, NL, there are volunteers needed to clean forests, the dunes etc. and to clean urban area's, is a complete industry.

It's disgusting, it doesn't matter why it happens, or the justification. If I was Thai, the chances are I would litter, too.. Or at least, the chances are far greater. I can accept that we are products of our social structure. That doesn't mean that littering is OK, though.

This is becoming another 'when i was a kid' thread, so here i go then....

When I was a kid in Britain we didn't have tin cans or plastic bottles to throw away as they didn't exist. We bought our drinks in returnable bottles and they had a deposit on them so you not only took your own back to get the dosh but looked around for others to take with you. They even had rubber screw tops that you had to take back as well so there was nothing to throw away. There was no Mc Donalds, KFC, Burger King or any other 'fast food' outlets other than Fish&Chip shops. We often ate our chips on the way home and then put the newspaper they were wrapped in either in a rubbish bin provided in the street or in the dustbin back home. These days everywhere you go you will see garbage from these outlets messing up the countryside. There were no 7-Eleven, Tesco Express, Chinese or Indian Takeaway shops where people buy bags full of everything that's pretty much bad for you and then dispose of what's left all over the roads and in the countryside. We were taught at School not to throw rubbish in the streets and if your parents, other relatives or even neighbours that knew you saw you do something like that there would be a stinging price to pay at some time shortly afterwards, like a clip around the ear.

Seems to me that wherever you go in this modern world things have actually got worse as far as personal discipline's are concerned. This is all the result of poor parental and teaching behaviours favouring the 'liberal' attitudes that my Father always warned me would ruin the future of the Planet. Not far out in his assessment was my old Dad.

• Like 1