Thais And Their Dogs.

rics21

Neither convenient or practical. I don't know by what means you suggest that people can kill their own dog, rather than taking it to a vet.

Seems to me he thinks putting animals down is actually uncivilized, maybe not a westerner.

I have nothing against putting animals down, if you want to kill your dog, or pay someone to kill it for you, go ahead. I just don’t understand all the whining about vets not wanting to do it, just do it yourself.

Just give it an overdose of sedative, put it in the oven and gas it, hit it with a bat, or grow some hair on your ass and drown it. I could probably list a hundred ways, but what difference does it make?

As far as getting rid of the carcass, Do you have any Koreans in the building? (just kidding). What would you do with it if you came out and found it dead on the kitchen floor? When my dog dies (she’s 12 now) I think I’ll just have a little service with the wife and kid and bury her in the yard. If I didn’t have a yard, I would find someplace else to bury her. If digging is too much work, why not take it to the vet, and tell them you think it’s in a coma, and then after they tell you it’s dead, just pay them to throw it away for you? Or better, just tell them you have to go out to the car and get a blanket and just take off.

I understand completely how much more convenient it to have someone else kill and dispose of the pet you love so much, but unfortunately, it is generally against the religious beliefs of the vets in Thailand, I respect that, many people do not, so be it.

Hey, why not just take it up on one of the walkways over Sukumvit and throw it off in front of a bus? You can kill it and get rid of the carcass at the same time? It just does not seem that complex to me.

Since when is commenting whining? Maybe you have the heart (or lack of) to crush your old sick dogs skull with a rock or hammer, most people don't. I took my dog to the vets in Australia after his heart gave out at 15 years old, and the vet gave him an injection and he died peacefully. The idea of crushing his skull just didn't occur to me. What does that make me, gutless?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither convenient or practical. I don't know by what means you suggest that people can kill their own dog, rather than taking it to a vet.

Seems to me he thinks putting animals down is actually uncivilized, maybe not a westerner.

I have nothing against putting animals down, if you want to kill your dog, or pay someone to kill it for you, go ahead. I just don’t understand all the whining about vets not wanting to do it, just do it yourself.

Just give it an overdose of sedative, put it in the oven and gas it, hit it with a bat, or grow some hair on your ass and drown it. I could probably list a hundred ways, but what difference does it make?

As far as getting rid of the carcass, Do you have any Koreans in the building? (just kidding). What would you do with it if you came out and found it dead on the kitchen floor? When my dog dies (she’s 12 now) I think I’ll just have a little service with the wife and kid and bury her in the yard. If I didn’t have a yard, I would find someplace else to bury her. If digging is too much work, why not take it to the vet, and tell them you think it’s in a coma, and then after they tell you it’s dead, just pay them to throw it away for you? Or better, just tell them you have to go out to the car and get a blanket and just take off.

I understand completely how much more convenient it to have someone else kill and dispose of the pet you love so much, but unfortunately, it is generally against the religious beliefs of the vets in Thailand, I respect that, many people do not, so be it.

Hey, why not just take it up on one of the walkways over Sukumvit and throw it off in front of a bus? You can kill it and get rid of the carcass at the same time? It just does not seem that complex to me.

What a load of trash your talking, nobody said anything about the carcass. I would take the body home and bury it. Does it make you feel tough to kill an animal ?

I was just thinking of the most painless bloodless and respectful way to get a sick pet out of its misery. Maybe you get off on killing.. not everyone does.

I have nothing against putting animals down, if you want to kill your dog, or pay someone to kill it for you, go ahead.

Yes, in western countries we are much more civilized, we gather up all the stray dogs and kill them.

MoganDave, I respectfully submit that your cool ability to casually dispatch and dispose of our four-legged furry friends is head and shoulders above that of the average farang here. May work for you, but isn't a practical suggestion for most of us cornfed first-worlder expat.

It is my opinion that part of being a vet is putting your superstitious nonsense aside to be able to do your job, or at the very least be able to refer a concerned pet owner to someone that can.

Just like Georgetown University's hospital is forced to cover contraceptives for its female staff members even though it was founded by the Catholic Church, just goes with the territory if you're in that business - or at least it should do in my book.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

What a load of trash your talking, nobody said anything about the carcass.

Farmers usually have a gun to kill an animal, whether it be a cow or a dog. Most people who live in the city don't, and you still have the problem of disposing of the animal.

My bad, i read dispose as too kill.. must have seen too many crime movies. Sorry you are right.

I have nothing against putting animals down, if you want to kill your dog, or pay someone to kill it for you, go ahead.

Yes, in western countries we are much more civilized, we gather up all the stray dogs and kill them.

MoganDave, I respectfully submit that your cool ability to casually dispatch and dispose of our four-legged furry friends is head and shoulders above that of the average farang here. May work for you, but isn't a practical suggestion for most of us cornfed first-worlder expat.

It is my opinion that part of being a vet is putting your superstitious nonsense aside to be able to do your job, or at the very least be able to refer a concerned pet owner to someone that can.

Just like Georgetown University's hospital is forced to cover contraceptives for its female staff members even though it was founded by the Catholic Church, just goes with the territory if you're in that business - or at least it should do in my book.

Corn-pone more like.

I am relatively certain the vet’s in Thailand are not concerned about what you consider superstitions nonsense, I certainly am not.

Your contraceptive analogy is weak. It is referring to a regulation an company is forced to comply with, not a mandate forcing individuals to perform procedures they do not want to perform. Try again.

I think people should be able to do what they want and live their lives as they see fit, you apparently disagree, so be it.

What a load of trash your talking, nobody said anything about the carcass.

Farmers usually have a gun to kill an animal, whether it be a cow or a dog. Most people who live in the city don't, and you still have the problem of disposing of the animal.

My bad, i read dispose as too kill.. must have seen too many crime movies. Sorry you are right.

Don't confuse that: First comes the kill, after the disposal problem.

In reality, as much, as in crime movies.

Ok, the cement shoe thing from the Italians may work 'two in one', but everything else ...?

"I think people should be able to do what they want and live their lives as they see fit, you apparently disagree, so be it."

So you're advocating a lawless society?

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) by definition a lawless society not now nor has it ever been possible. Society is full of other individuals also want to do what they want to do, and want to run their lives as they see fit. These people group together and make rules,people are free to abide by the rules, work to change the rules and or break the rules. People that choose to break the rules, do so with an understanding that they may have to suffer consequences for their actions, but they are ultimately free to make the decision.

As far as I know, there is no law that requires vets to kill (put down if it makes you feel better) animals for people that want them killed. Why should Thai vets be scoffed at for not wanting to perform this service, regardless of their reasons? We look at it as humane, they do not. Why do we want to force our beliefs onto them?

we have s problem with vicious dogs. it came through the gate the other day, bold as ever.

but im not buddhist so i hit the dog with a piece of pipe, slung it rather. snd guess what? it quickly left the yard! i may try doing something similar the next time one threatens to bite me. what a great idea!

• 1 month later...

Stray dogs are a massive issue here, working in AR has taught me that one un-spayed/neutered animal can create a colony in a few years.

I see countless big balled dogs and pregnant females, if you spay/neuter one animal then the knock on effect is huge..

The sad issue is that there's not enough education let alone funding for a programme tht would sort this out in a few short years..

Well fed and family filled they may be, but it's a huge issue here that most western countries have found a solution for

People who think Thai people are cruel with animals should read this

"The dog who wouldn't die" http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/buck-dog-shot-face-facebook-fence-texas-160301593.html

"Sadly, cases like Buck's are not uncommon, particularly in Texas.

In July, a small dog was discovered tortured in what the Dallas Morning News described as "one of the worst cases of animal cruelty ever reported in the county."

The pug mix—nicknamed Hope by her rescuers—was found near Weatherford, Texas, dehydrated, with her mouth sealed shut with electrical tape, tongue protruding and five large cuts that took more than 100 stitches to close."