Extension Based On Thai Spouse Renewal - A New Wrinkle

zippydedodah

I think an Immigration officer can "enlarge" upon the rules. When Hubby did his recent visa extension (for retirement), they asked for copies of every extension since he entered Thailand on his O-A visa. It may have been related to his transferring his visa from an old to new passport at the same time -- but actually that was another process, done by a different officer (with a different queue number, of course), after he obtained the extension in his new passport.

I've also run into another example of why you should keep old passports -- bank managers can also make up their own rules, especially when you turn up and say you want to withdraw a large amount, like your 800,000 baht retirement account. In the case I'm aware of, the manager really made it difficult -- one "problem" was that the account was opened with the old passport, which had expired and been tossed and now the account holder wanted to close the account and had only the new passport. Eventually the manager let the funds go, but she managed to dream up three or four other "problems" first. Not a kind thing to do to someone who wants to withdraw the funds to return to his home country to obtain medical care.

That doesn't surprise me. When I went to deposit an overseas cheque, the bank manager wanted me to go to Immigration! Luckily I had previously banked a cheque, so knew he was just full of it, but had I not known, it would have been a big problem. TiT.

It's hard to believe that they actually have computers and know how to use them.

What is a pension warrant? I am too young for retirement withdrwals even though I just received my retirement visa last week...

All I have is income statements from my own financial portfolio that I provided this time but she didn't really understand them as she also said next time I need to provide pension documents....

Hopefully I won't have a problem next time as the in-take clerks seemed to stuck on retirement income and pension income to meet the fin. income requirement....

Granted this probably represents 90% of retirement visa folks but not the remaining folks like myself....Their approach should be show me how you meet the fin. requirement not show me this or that document....

CB

I have been staying here on a "retirement" visas and am I'm applying for my first "supporting" annual visa next week (I support a Thai as their legal father). Anybody have any experience with this type? Know if there is anything special I need (I do have a birth cert., court doc. and Amphur reg.) to have or be aware of?

What is a pension warrant? I am too young for retirement withdrwals even though I just received my retirement visa last week...

All I have is income statements from my own financial portfolio that I provided this time but she didn't really understand them as she also said next time I need to provide pension documents....

Hopefully I won't have a problem next time as the in-take clerks seemed to stuck on retirement income and pension income to meet the fin. income requirement....

Granted this probably represents 90% of retirement visa folks but not the remaining folks like myself....Their approach should be show me how you meet the fin. requirement not show me this or that document....

CB

You meet the financial requirement simply by putting 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account.

If you want to meet the income requirement you have to do it their way and can not expect them to be experts in all the account statements that may be issued by financial institutions all over the wold. Even if they were those statements do not represent your income, they represent individual sources of income and could be way off the mark if you have losses elsewhere which they have no way of knowing.

So they have rules to implement their justifiable effort to try to insure people who get extensions have funds. Sure those rules are not perfect, none are, and they do not fit everyone but everyone who wants extensions must comply.

You will be a lot better off if you cease suggesting "their approach should be" because your approach should be to give them what they want.

I have been staying here on a "retirement" visas and am I'm applying for my first "supporting" annual visa next week (I support a Thai as their legal father). Anybody have any experience with this type? Know if there is anything special I need (I do have a birth cert., court doc. and Amphur reg.) to have or be aware of?

Much easier to get your extension based on retirement. 800,000 baht in a Thai bank (seasoned for 2 months) or proof of 65,000 baht/month pension (letter from your embassy).

I doubt being the father of a Thai child would qualify for an extension, only being married to a Thai with supporting paperwork. You still need 400,000 baht season in bank or 40,000 baht/month income. Take it from me that would be a hard road to get an extension.

• Like 1

CB

You meet the financial requirement simply by putting 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account.

If you want to meet the income requirement you have to do it their way and can not expect them to be experts in all the account statements that may be issued by financial institutions all over the wold. Even if they were those statements do not represent your income, they represent individual sources of income and could be way off the mark if you have losses elsewhere which they have no way of knowing.

So they have rules to implement their justifiable effort to try to insure people who get extensions have funds. Sure those rules are not perfect, none are, and they do not fit everyone but everyone who wants extensions must comply.

You will be a lot better off if you cease suggesting "their approach should be" because your approach should be to give them what they want.

Excellent answer. While official Thailand does many things that are illogical and infuriating to farangs, it is their country and we must comply.

Much easier to get your extension based on retirement. 800,000 baht in a Thai bank (seasoned for 2 months) or proof of 65,000 baht/month pension (letter from your embassy).

I doubt being the father of a Thai child would qualify for an extension, only being married to a Thai with supporting paperwork. You still need 400,000 baht season in bank or 40,000 baht/month income. Take it from me that would be a hard road to get an extension.

Appreciate your response, does "take it from me" mean that you've tried?

i could be wrong, but i was told a few years ago that the "supporting" visa was for thai nationals who are supporting a returning parent (who is not thai)... in other words, your mom/dad is falang, you are thai and living here and you want mom to come back to thailand and live with you and so you (as a thai national) support your mom/dad and they get a "support" visa..... but who knows what the rule is today...

• Like 1

Being the father of a Thai child does qualify one for an extension of stay. But you have to be the legal father of the child, not merely be on the birth certificate and you have to live with the child.

The requirements seem to difer a bit per immirgaiton office, can't comment on CM-immigration.

Appreciate your response, does "take it from me" mean that you've tried?

No, my comment related to obtaining the year extension with a Thai wife. Believe me it's hard work and needs a lot of patience. I can only imagine how much more difficult is would be being the father of a Thai child. The retirement method is so so much easier, and yes I extended that way when I turned 50 so I 'tried that'. As it happens since then I acquired a Work Permit so i can't use the retirement method while I have the WP. Have to used the married man method bah.gif