Do You Plan To Carry A Passport Copy From Now On?

Do you plan to carry a passport copy from now on?  

277 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After 14 years of visiting the LOS, I have never been asked for my passport. Originally, I carried it, but one songran it got wet and almost didn't get out of the country because the stamp got smudged. Since then have not carried PP. Overall, I guess I should at least keep a copy, but like I said, have never been stopped and asked for it. I do carry if I leave a province though.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Normally I'm not asked to show my passport, but I have travelled extensively in border areas and there it is not unusual to be asked for my passport. Mostly when traveling with public transport, with a private car I normally just get waived through.

A copy of the passport including the valid permission to stay is normally enough, but police can insist on the original passport and rightly so. Your passport and or permission to stay could have been revoked since you made the copy.

I could be wrong, but i do not think checking passport falls under police jurisdiction. They do not know anything about Visa's and large majority can not even read English.

Any id should be sufficient enough to prove your identity, i do not think passport is a requirement, unless its some kind of extortion.

Around Asok area, the passport checking scam and fines for smoking is very frequent.

From personal experience, few years back, i was pulled up for smoking(well throwing the butt away), they wanted 2000 baht fine, and for me to sign some papers in Thai.

I refused to sign or pay and told them to take me into police station.

After some "thinking time" they let me go with 100 baht donation and never bothered me again.

You did the right thing asking to be taken to the station. Those uniformed officers "fining" tourists for dropping cigarette butts are not regular police officers but BMA (Bangkok Metropolitan Authority) officers commonly referred to as Tessakit. The correct fine is THB100 and must come with a receipt. The trick they are using is that under BMA city ordinance the maximum fine is set at THB2000 for littering and THB10,000 for polluting a waterway (that's why putting a butt down a drain makes it worse) but as the maximum fines they are intended for serious offences, not just arbitrarily meted out by an officer on the street.

These are the same guys that collect "cleaning fees" from every street vendor. They don't carry guns and don't have the power of arrest. To have you arrested they would have to call the real police from the local precinct which they will never do. They absolutely don't have the power to demand your passport but of course tourists don't know that so it's part of their intimidation tactic.

If you have really committed the offence, pay them 100 but demand a receipt. If they ask for more or you haven't dropped any litter, stand your ground and ask for the local police to attend. Don't discuss else anything with them. They will soon walk away.

• Like 2

I got stopped and they ran my bar code number through a portable device............I came up as 250 Baht. wink.png

Seriously, as Tommo says a Thai D/L (new type) has your passport number on the front and your address on the back.

Your driver license has the passport number of the passport you had when you got the license, not necessarily your current passport.

That's correct and it's easy enough (should) to update with your new passport number or address.

I got stopped and they ran my bar code number through a portable device............I came up as 250 Baht. wink.png

Seriously, as Tommo says a Thai D/L (new type) has your passport number on the front and your address on the back.

Your driver license has the passport number of the passport you had when you got the license, not necessarily your current passport.

That's correct and it's easy enough (should) to update with your new passport number or address.

"you DL ok, come back 3 years"

Don't you think?whistling.gif

• Like 1

Always carry up to date copies -- PP, visas, 90 day report -- in the car with DL in my wallet. Accept for the occasional highway 'tea money' road block never been asked to produce them. Near on 12 years now.

Me, too, in a pocket diary I keep always in my back pocket. SOP.

From the Australian DFAT website.

Thailand.

Foreigners are required to carry identification at all times.

In other words an original document which states who you are. eg. Passport , drivers licence, ID card with a photograph of holder etc.

A Passport is the property of your government and penalties may be applied if it is lost or stolen.

Not sure what you mean, but I have a 5 year DL. However, if I change my address or passport, all I have to do is get another COR and go to Chiang Mai driving office, where the most polite female government worker in Thailand will take care of things.

Normally I'm not asked to show my passport, but I have travelled extensively in border areas and there it is not unusual to be asked for my passport. Mostly when traveling with public transport, with a private car I normally just get waived through.

A copy of the passport including the valid permission to stay is normally enough, but police can insist on the original passport and rightly so. Your passport and or permission to stay could have been revoked since you made the copy.

You ar very correct ...BUT your passport could be revoked also your visa even when not present and so not delivered your passport to do so........and by a random check whiteout an information check by computer or telephone the police officer could ALSO not know your present situation wink.png

I don't carry copies. I normally have my passport with me at all times unless it is a short trip around town (never in village).

I have have never understood peoples paranoia about carrying their passports with them. In over 35 years of regular trips (for work) to many countries plus here I have never lost or had my passport stolen.

---------------------

I've worked and lived and worked in 15 countries around the world for 45 years before I retired to Thailand.

Carrying my passport with me is like carrying a pen in my shirt pocket.

I'm so used to carrying my passport around I feel undressed without it.

Never lost one or had one stolen either....yet anyhow.

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean, but I have a 5 year DL. However, if I change my address or passport, all I have to do is get another COR and go to Chiang Mai driving office, where the most polite female government worker in Thailand will take care of things.

i mean, the people behind the counter don't think, there is a need for changes in the driving license, as long it is not in the last couple of month of the validity. They see it from the 'What's your ploblem, driving license is for show 'can' drive vehicle, not for show address of registration"-point of view.

But it sounds, like you did that:

Is the validity of the new license still the 'rest-validity' of your inaccurate license? Or did you get a brand new 5 years periode?

Or do they change the address with a sticker on the old license? How about the Passport number?

How much did you pay, for the service?

Thanks for the information!

I don't carry copies. I normally have my passport with me at all times unless it is a short trip around town (never in village).

I have have never understood peoples paranoia about carrying their passports with them. In over 35 years of regular trips (for work) to many countries plus here I have never lost or had my passport stolen.

---------------------

I've worked and lived and worked in 15 countries around the world for 45 years before I retired to Thailand.

Carrying my passport with me is like carrying a pen in my shirt pocket.

I'm so used to carrying my passport around I feel undressed without it.

Never lost one or had one stolen either....yet anyhow.

I do not carry a pen in a shirt pocket, either!

I never carry an Id with me in Thailand and I have never been asked to provide any id.

If required I will go back to my place or ring my girlfriend to bring my passport.

More hassle losing a passport than any risk of some one asking to see it.

• Like 1

Doesn't passport often mean ID here? At the airport for instance they always say passport when flying domestically but don't blink if u show them a Thai DL.

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. The airport staff will ask Thai's (in Thai) for their ID card and foreigners (in English) for their passports. And it's the case in many situations simply because that's what they assume you are most likely to have.

I frequently fly domestic for work and I'm not being facetious when I say that I'm sure I could board the aircraft with a library card as long as it had my name & photo on it.

• Like 1

I never carry an Id with me in Thailand and I have never been asked to provide any id.

If required I will go back to my place or ring my girlfriend to bring my passport.

More hassle losing a passport than any risk of some one asking to see it.

And if you don't have a girlfriend or somebody else to bring your passport, what will happen then? Spending time in a cell at the police would for sure be more hassle for me compared to get a new passport.

Many embassies in Thailand used to advise against carrying your passport with you but recommended to carry a photocopy. The reason is that many passports get stolen all the time. If you carry your passport all the time and have not experience a theft, you are lucky. Ask your own embassy how many lost or stolen passports they have to deal with every week.

The embassies don't put that on their websites any more, because it would be advising to violate Thai law.

In the past more than 20 years, I have carried my passport only when crossing international borders (or travelling near the land borders). When taking domestic flights, or checking in at hotels all over Thailand, my DL has always been sufficient.

The passport is too valuable to risk losing, it stays in the safe. coffee1.gif

Yup. Agreed

I could be wrong, but i do not think checking passport falls under police jurisdiction. They do not know anything about Visa's and large majority can not even read English.

Any id should be sufficient enough to prove your identity, i do not think passport is a requirement, unless its some kind of extortion.

For a stop by the "BIB," e.g. the routine traffic stop police, you are correct.

However, if you are in a situation where the Immigrations Police are present, you might find yourself in an awkward situation if you don't have your passport. It's not uncommon to read that the Immigrations Police are present at raids at night spots. The BIB ("regular police") are simply interested in identifying who you are, so a driver license or photocopy of passport satisfies them. The Immigrations Police, however, are interested in verifying that you entered the country legally and are not on overstay, and will not be amused if you cannot provide your passport.

Edited by wpcoe
  • Like 1

However, if you are in a situation where the Immigrations Police are present, you might find yourself in an awkward situation if you don't have your passport. It's not uncommon to read that the Immigrations Police are present at raids at night spots. The BIB ("regular police") are simply interested in identifying who you are, so a driver license or photocopy of passport satisfies them. The Immigrations Police, however, are interested in verifying that you entered the country legally and are not on overstay, and will not be amused if you cannot provide your passport.

yeah i agree, i was referring to just regular police, immigration is a totally different ball game

Many embassies in Thailand used to advise against carrying your passport with you but recommended to carry a photocopy. The reason is that many passports get stolen all the time. If you carry your passport all the time and have not experience a theft, you are lucky. Ask your own embassy how many lost or stolen passports they have to deal with every week.

The embassies don't put that on their websites any more, because it would be advising to violate Thai law.

In the past more than 20 years, I have carried my passport only when crossing international borders (or travelling near the land borders). When taking domestic flights, or checking in at hotels all over Thailand, my DL has always been sufficient.

Yup. Agreed

Me too. Absolutely spot on.

Yup. Agreed

Me too. Absolutely spot on.

Have to agree. After 22 years in Thailand, I recently lost my passport. What a painful experience it was.

Insider story, the paper work they have to do, and dealing with embassy's are a pain in the butt for them. They don't like to.

I would prefer to sit for many hours in a cop shop until sorted rather than having to run around for days at the embassy, getting people to certify I am me, and then the rigmarole of dealing with getting all the local immigration stamps re- issued.

Insider story, the paper work they have to do, and dealing with embassy's are a pain in the butt for them. They don't like to.

I would prefer to sit for many hours in a cop shop until sorted rather than having to run around for days at the embassy, getting people to certify I am me, and then the rigmarole of dealing with getting all the local immigration stamps re- issued.

Exactly. Not to mention work permit, authorised signatures for everything under the sun, being stuck until new passport arrives & re-entry transferred and the monetary cost of all that.

They have access to their own records presumably including photos visas and how long you can stay.

At worst this would mean a trip to immigration while they sort it out.