Taxi Fare Advice

parabone

hi guys

need to take taxi from Suvarnabhumi to Big C On Nut

last time i had this ride was on the way to the airport and it costed me around 210 THB.

now i know that from Suvarnahumi to city is a bit tricky.i arrive also close to midnight

how much will the taxi fare be, provided i find a metered taxi with ''good functional'' meter?

On Nut Road or Expressway?

thx.

Good grief.

The poor taxi driver. Wait hours for his cue and get a fare to On Nut Big C area. Near my old apartment. After waiting, paing for his taxi rental at 650 - 700 Baht a day, + fuel, and paing airport fees, maybe he just made a profit of 10 baht off you. Maybe.

My guess to is you will pay exact, no tip, and he is on his way with maybe enough to get a bottle of water.

For the really cheep transportation try the old buses with no A/C or walking, It's not that far that you can not do it in a day

my friend..please share your sarcasme with ur bottle of Chang.

it's not about the money...nobody likes to be ripped off.

i lived myself in a poor country(eastern europe) almost all my llife before moving to the West..but never expected double price or tried to extort foreigners.

thx for advices.

• Like 1

I believe no matter which route the driver takes the difference in fare should be within a tolerable price of 30 baht.

Unless the driver if routing you up to Rangsit and route back to Bangna On-Nut than that i would call double price or extorting !!!

If 30 baht is not tolerable i would suggest to take a public bus.

Good grief.

The poor taxi driver. Wait hours for his cue and get a fare to On Nut Big C area. Near my old apartment. After waiting, paing for his taxi rental at 650 - 700 Baht a day, + fuel, and paing airport fees, maybe he just made a profit of 10 baht off you. Maybe.

My guess to is you will pay exact, no tip, and he is on his way with maybe enough to get a bottle of water.

For the really cheep transportation try the old buses with no A/C or walking, It's not that far that you can not do it in a day

i lived myself in a poor country(eastern europe) almost all my llife before moving to the West..but never expected double price or tried to extort foreigners.

thx for advices.

Not your friend just telling it like it is

Sorry don't drink

Nobody is ripping you off but at the same time, the locals or anyone else don't like being taking advantage of.

Meter is a meter in a taxi. Not 1 button for Thai and another for foreigners.

Few really know Taxi drivers pay 650 - 700 Bt a day to rent their taxi

Then add the cost of the fuel

as well as the fee to work the airport.

End of the day most drivers earn about 300 Bt. Hard to make a living on that

i must reiterate that, like in the song, it's not about the money.

no cheap charlie story here..why should i try to save 100 THB on a taxi fare, after paying thousands of baht on a flight ticket?

it's about principles...like i said before...i am from Eastern Europe and worked for a short time in tourism industry back home, but NEVER tried to extort foreigners nor expected they should pay double prices despite my monthly salary was very low..NEVER thought, that earning a shitty salary, makes me entitled to some kind of favours from foreign visitors.

it's about respect and fairness...living so many years in a country with corruption at high levels(just like Thailand), i know what fairness and respect means...whatever.

and i know how it feels like living on a extremely tight budget, like many thais...trust me.

i always tip taxi drivers while being in BKK...but i surely dont want to repeate the last experience when i had to pay 650 THB from Swampy to On Nut.

Edited by parabone
  • Like 2

Going rate is the going rate.

Christ next people will be saying they give money to the mafia installed begger's in tourist areas and believe the renta friend from the bar loves them for who they are............

• Like 1

Good grief.

thx for advices.

Not your friend just telling it like it is

Sorry don't drink

Nobody is ripping you off but at the same time, the locals or anyone else don't like being taking advantage of.

Meter is a meter in a taxi. Not 1 button for Thai and another for foreigners.

Few really know Taxi drivers pay 650 - 700 Bt a day to rent their taxi

Then add the cost of the fuel

as well as the fee to work the airport.

Everyone has been ripped of by taxi's once in a while. They can take an alternative route and i have met one (unfortunately) with a rigged meter. So what the guy is asking is not unreasonable at all. If he knows the price he knows if he gets ripped off or not.

Im the same its all about principle, its not about money. If get ripped off you feel bad.

I always try to get a cab on the departure level nowadays.

Too many nasty experiences with those on the arrival level. Too many rigged Meters, too many crooks...... I must have been riding Taxis in BKK more than a Thousand times in my 8 years here, and they only bad experiences I made were ENTIRELY when taking a Cab from the "official" booth at the arrival level...... There must be an organization who offers ALL registered Airport-Cabs to manipulate their Meters. My last bad experience with a ridiculously rigged Merter was just 2 months ago and ended in a VERY unpleasant ride and a not-so-nice argueing and discussing through the entire journey (Luckily my Thai is quite okay so I can give a "CONTRA" and thats what I did, so the driver miraculously managed to "slow down" the meter to regular level again after he found out I won't fall for his scam / pay triple the regular rate

This is how I do it and NEVER been scammed. Go to arrival's lot's of local cab's turning up all the time, N/B not the one's that are waiting in the middle, just grab one and tell him where your going and you want it on the meter. They are more than pleased to get a trip back to BKK, when I arrive I always round off the fare ie 230bt I make 300 bugger me that's cheap every one's happy, well I am.

In 13 years of traveling to and from Thailand, and almost 6 years living there, I can count on one hand the times I have had unpleasant experiences in taxis.

I do speak Thai...and am always polite, both of which I think go a LONG way. I have acquaintances who live in Thailand--who speak little to no Thai--and they're constantly reporting problems with taxi drivers. One has even gotten into fistfights with a few.

I have a theory, that having problems with taxi drivers (including getting "scammed") is directly related to how little Thai one knows, and how much of an asshol_e one is...

In 13 years of traveling to and from Thailand, and almost 6 years living there, I can count on one hand the times I have had unpleasant experiences in taxis.

I do speak Thai...and am always polite, both of which I think go a LONG way. I have acquaintances who live in Thailand--who speak little to no Thai--and they're constantly reporting problems with taxi drivers. One has even gotten into fistfights with a few.

I have a theory, that having problems with taxi drivers (including getting "scammed") is directly related to how little Thai one knows, and how much of an asshol_e one is...

I would say, it has nothing to do with that at all but teachers think to they know the real Thailand best. It has to do with the location where you grab a cab. I find it much harder and more annoying to grab a cab near tourist places then out where i live.

As for the Thai speaking, been in a rigged taxi with the gf present and had rude annoying taxi's with the gf present. Been alone in taxi's having polite conversation with them in Thai (but certainly not at the level of the gf). So that kinda screws your theory. The ahol part i do agree with but that goes for everything the more one is one of that kind the worse one get treated too.

There are just loads of scammers around who cherry pick their rides. I prefer driving my car or m/c. But most taxi drivers around here are ok, most around MBK ect not.

It's so easy to get a fair taxi fare from the airport. Simply go down to the metered taxi booths, tell them where you want to go, go with the taxi driver to his cab, get in and make sure he turns on the meter, sit back and enjoy the ride (hopefully he doesn't speed too much), and when you reach your destination pay the meter charge plus the 50 baht airport surcharge. I've done this scores of times and NEVER had a problem.

Edited by HerbalEd

Good grief.

Smart alek, but I love it !

I always try to get a cab on the departure level nowadays.

Too many nasty experiences with those on the arrival level. Too many rigged Meters, too many crooks...... I must have been riding Taxis in BKK more than a Thousand times in my 8 years here, and they only bad experiences I made were ENTIRELY when taking a Cab from the "official" booth at the arrival level...... There must be an organization who offers ALL registered Airport-Cabs to manipulate their Meters. My last bad experience with a ridiculously rigged Merter was just 2 months ago and ended in a VERY unpleasant ride and a not-so-nice argueing and discussing through the entire journey (Luckily my Thai is quite okay so I can give a "CONTRA" and thats what I did, so the driver miraculously managed to "slow down" the meter to regular level again after he found out I won't fall for his scam / pay triple the regular rate

If you knew anything about meters you wouldn't post such rubbish. Can't slow down a rigged meter.

A rigged meter is at driver control and not normally used and very few vehicles will even have such a system - only if they suspect the passenger is not aware of correct price would they even trying using it. Driver can easily return meter to normal operation - normally by a hidden switch but I have also seen a program function of meter itself being used in one case. I have used taxi several times a week for the last 20 years and have not had such usage more than a handful of times although accept that such activity may be a bit higher in tourist areas where passenger is not expected to know better. A good indication is occasional quick increase close together for simple shock absorber microswitch system. But even in worst case this has only added about 20% to final bill so not worth fighting over considering the very low taxi fares and that tips are not normally expected.

A rigged meter is at driver control and not normally used and very few vehicles will even have such a system - only if they suspect the passenger is not aware of correct price would they even trying using it. Driver can easily return meter to normal operation - normally by a hidden switch but I have also seen a program function of meter itself being used in one case. I have used taxi several times a week for the last 20 years and have not had such usage more than a handful of times although accept that such activity may be a bit higher in tourist areas where passenger is not expected to know better. A good indication is occasional quick increase close together for simple shock absorber microswitch system. But even in worst case this has only added about 20% to final bill so not worth fighting over considering the very low taxi fares and that tips are not normally expected.

I have noticed it once.. and it was a 50% increase. I used to take a taxi to go fishing at Bungsamran and went there many times. This time i was with my gf and we went back and the meter was at least 200 bt more then normal. She did not allow me to confront the guy. She just noted his nr and called the taxi central later.

Most people do not make 600 baht taxi runs but for that distance it could be a bit more but has never been anything near 50% for my 100 baht trips (which can vary a great deal by the amount of traffic we encounter). And yes; non-confrontation is the best choice and if you feel it is serious later reporting (that can result in taxi being checked and modifications found/removed even if driver is not found).

Most people do not make 600 baht taxi runs but for that distance it could be a bit more but has never been anything near 50% for my 100 baht trips (which can vary a great deal by the amount of traffic we encounter). And yes; non-confrontation is the best choice and if you feel it is serious later reporting (that can result in taxi being checked and modifications found/removed even if driver is not found).

It normally was a 200-240 trip ended in a 400bt trip. So it was extreme, it also was the only time i consciously been in a rigged taxi. I wanted to make a scene.. she did not. Even let him stop in front of the village. Did not want the guy to know our house and she reported him. Dont know what happened. after that.

The ability to use a higher rate is more common than you suggest but I agree that it is rarely done. Though, I would suggest that there has been a rising incidence of the practice in the last 18 months.

Firstly, some general background info.

There are around 85K-90K registered taxis in Bangkok province according to DLT figures. (reportedly there are also around 20K unregistered taxis) Of those around 21K-22K are private owned (the yellow & green OR fewer blue & red taxis) with the rest run by the 100+ private companies (20 major ones) and hired by drivers for 12 hr shifts - typically shifts change between 3-4pm and 3-4am which is why it can sometimes be a hassle at those times.

Typically, a driver pays 500-700 'rental' for an older taxi per shift or 700-1000 for a newer taxi. Fees vary depending on a range of factors, if you add a few hundred baht for NGV fuel, it gives you an idea of what a driver needs to make per day to cover costs and be ahead a few hundred baht which is their minimum aim. Some make 700-800baht a day and a few around 1000 baht. Not bad money when working in a factory would bring in much less.

This will also give you some insight into why many drivers prefer an airport run even if it means waiting 2-3 hrs lined up at the AOT taxi car park along with 3K others taxis before getting a fare from the airport. (Though clearly a quick pick up at departures is the preference of all taxis drivers, and most pax).

In respect of 'rigged meters', there are some common misconceptions and 3 easy steps to take to ensure one is never taken for a ride (pun intended). When metered fares were reintroduced compulsory for all taxis in 1992 by the DLT (they were first used in 1958 but it never really took off) there was consideration of having a night rate. This was deferred but many meters installed in taxis in the late 1990s and early part of the new century were programmed for the potential introduction of a 'night rate'. (Reportedly there are about a dozen meter companies and not all programmed their meters for this).

Whilst there are 'rigged meters' where usually the seal has been broken, the most common way that many drivers who try to scam pax use is by activating this previously programmed higher rate which was never approved. This is done by pushing the button 2-3 times. To turn on a meter the driver only needs to push the button once.

The newer fleet of taxis (Toyotas from the last 2-3 years or the few Nissans) have newer meters that only have one rate preprogrammed - and more recent ones with a receipt print out. Only older taxis with older meters have the higher rate ability. (When the last rate rise occurred in 2008 there was such a rush, and mess, to reprogram taxis that it seems this issue was not, in the main, dealt with).

The 3 easy steps to ensure you don't get scammed by the meter:

1) The first and most important. Use the 555 rule!

At 5km your meter should read 55 baht - assuming that you haven't been stuck in traffic and subject to the 1.5baht per min surcharge (stationary or less than 20km/h). It might read 57 baht or 59 baht but if it reads 75 baht then something is definitely wrong.

2) The driver only needs to press the meter once to activate it. If he or she presses a button 2 or more times, just get out and take another taxi. That is your first sign that something may be wrong ....................assuming that they are not drunk or have Parkinsons and thus missed the button, in which case...............well,........ it is obvious.

3) As new taxis meters don't have the ability to activated at the higher rate then take one. I always take a new taxi as it will be cleaner (less sweaty bums over the years - thousands compared to 10s of thousands, think about it!), the aircon works better and it should be generally more comfortable. Also, the newer Toyotas are very slighter wider in the back seat if you have 4 pax. You can usually spot the newer Toyota taxis from a distance as they have more 'squarer shaped' headlights than older taxis.

In a city where it is common to have much choice of your taxi why would you take a 10-15 year old taxi when a 1-2 yr old one is but a few more seconds away? (I even take my preference further and take a new yellow or green taxi if possible as both these companies have a new, clean fleet)

In summary, step (3) greatly minimises your chances of being scammed, step (2) provides the warning and step (1) gives you a good rule of thumb to measure your journey by.

Though we all know that the Rule of Law in such matters is but a superficial concept it should be pointed out that the police will take it very seriously if a driver is discovered to have used a rigged meter, not turning on a meter or charged a fare higher than the set rates. The problem is obviously the context of a fare dispute (do you want to escalate it?) and the hassle of going to the police. It is also worth noting that is is unlawful for drivers not to use the meter and refuse to take a customer to their requested destination - except for shift change over time or out of province trips.The Taxi Complaints Call Center (1154) do actually take details when reported and they will take action against a driver who receives multiple complaints. There was a recent campaing on the issue of drivers who refuse pax destination requests.

Caveat: one can follow the above 3 rules to minimise exposure to being scammed but obviously nothing is 100%. There are as many enterprising souls as there are scams as there are ignorant visitors. On the whole follow those 3 steps and you should be fine 99% of the time.

Politics and the future: as part of the 'quid pro quo' post election the government promised to helped taxi drivers cope with cost of living issues. They have been issuing coupons to compensate for fuel hikes. The mooted new fare rise from April/May 2012 did not eventuate but it can't be that far away. Another proposal was to reduce the BKK fleet to around 50-60K taxis but that idea seems most unlikely to be implemented given demand.

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 1

A meter can be rigged to start higher,shorter distance and more for time. While meter is on it cannot be changed without turning it off and reseting it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is how I do it and NEVER been scammed. Go to arrival's lot's of local cab's turning up all the time, N/B not the one's that are waiting in the middle, just grab one and tell him where your going and you want it on the meter. They are more than pleased to get a trip back to BKK, when I arrive I always round off the fare ie 230bt I make 300 bugger me that's cheap every one's happy, well I am.

The taxis dropping people at the departure are the best ever, never had a problem.

Just go down the line away from the head of the line and thoes stopped (Scamers, mates of the cop there)

Pick one just dropping people off, ask "Meter on" OK..... there real happy to get a fare back into town.

But have had a trip late at night in BKK with a fast meter years ago.

and one that took the very long way to the airport.

They seem too selective about who/where they will go sometimes.

Compared to Sydney Taxis there just good value.

aussiep

Which is by now the gellegal minimum wage, IF you are soooooo pitiyfull about these assumed poor drivers-so when are there 10000s too many? Everywhere I look around i see notes for ''workers sought'' -that garantees thus the same you quote, without nasty farang- and all that other ''poor people'' humdrum.

But as such: a taxi cost about 5,5 bt/km-so its easy to see that even large detours will not add up much. And its by midnite-so there are hardly jams to expect. And no need to use expressway either.

BTW-also normal Thai know HOW to instruct drivers to go where they want-its common that people know the place they go to-whereas dumb-ass westerners expect cabbies to know each+every adress. Thats also a major reason why many fares are refused.

Polski/Cesky: if that was 210 FROm your place-then why expect it to be much different going there? I kinow you people to have brains that work the old way. Only add the legal 50 bt airport surcharge.

That jeffery may set up a ''support poortaxidrivers'' fund-maybe its even a tax-asset wher he comes from.