Truevisions To Lose Epl?

petedk

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't surprise me if the premier league becomes available through true for an extra 500b or so per month.

I would take that now.

I mean an extra charge on top of the existing gold/platinum charge - i.e. a price increase.

Erh, yea I know what you meant.

Oh I see. Not sure if I'd pay it or not. Might just watch champions league and have more time for other stuff.

taotoo - Pure speculation at this point anyway mate.

Btw, do you, or anyone else for that matter, know if true are showing the FA Cip this season? Rounds 1 and 2 were not shown, so maybe not.

I don't know, and can't remember exactly but in previous years I think we've perhaps got to see at least the semis and final, either on True or terrestrial or both.

The picture (yes pun intended) will not be clearer for a few months in relation to the EPL 2013/14 broadcasts.

However, if you check the Business section, Telecommunications of another paper for an article dated the 11th about a Hong Kong TV deal there is some info. (or you could just google CTH)

In summary it says that, CTH is looking to have 120 channels, 70 premium, with monthly rates starting at 350 baht and max of 1000baht.

Edited by Lakegeneve

taotoo - Pure speculation at this point anyway mate.

Btw, do you, or anyone else for that matter, know if true are showing the FA Cip this season? Rounds 1 and 2 were not shown, so maybe not.

Channel 7 have the rights until 2018, they said they expect to show at least 15 FA Cup games each season. They tend to on sell some games to Channel 3 so expect to see big games on both?

• 3 weeks later...

I notice that at the end of January (I think), ESPN on TrueVisions will become FOX Sports.

This name doesn't conjure up football to me, only that American game that calls itself football.

And on that note,have True visions actually made an announcement yet regarding the discontinuation of premier league coverage.

I've seen nothing official from them as yet,although we are all aware that they didn't win the contract.

Also they state that they will try to acquire alternatives for the loss,with what exactly ?

Edited by stoneyboy

I notice that at the end of January (I think), ESPN on TrueVisions will become FOX Sports.

This name doesn't conjure up football to me, only that American game that calls itself football.

And on that note,have True visions actually made an announcement yet regarding the discontinuation of premier league coverage.

I've seen nothing official from them as yet,although we are all aware that they didn't win the contract.

Also they state that they will try to acquire alternatives for the loss,with what exactly ?

-Good point: True have as far as I am aware made no announcement regarding the discontinuation of premier league coverage. Those who contact True are being told something along the lines they are "negotiating" coverage. It may well be that True know full well their coverage of the premiership is finished but new subscribers are signing on in ignorant of that fact and assume the current coverage will continue next season: "Let the buyer beware".

Edited by Zodiac
  • Like 1

-Good point: True have as far as I am aware made no announcement regarding the discontinuation of premier league coverage. Those who contact True are being told something along the lines they are "negotiating" coverage. It may well be that True know full well their coverage of the premiership is finished but new subscribers are signing on in ignorant of that fact and assume the current coverage will continue next season: "Let the buyer beware".

My thoughts exactly,obviously business ethics dictate that they aren't going to start spouting off that they have lost the biggest attraction for many from their subscription service,I am fortunate in ways it seems at least this time that if/once the EPL is no longer available I am under no obligation to continue my subscription as I purchased the equipment outright and have in the past when travelling overseas dropped the subscription many times without problem.

I am also fortunate in that my town has in place already a cable TV service,of which I'm hoping that if it does come via this system the subscription should be substantially less,meaning I may win all round,my only concern is the possible loss of HD,which leads me to believe that True may have a so called joker in the pack,I wait with baited breath to see the eventual outcome.

I've never heard of, or seen anything about, Cable Thai Holdings prior to reading on this topic... But I do enjoy amusing myself with anything related to TrueVisions, their lousy programming and overpriced service.

So, when I look about CTH, they seem to have a website entirely in Thai and does at least appear to claim they'll have a bunch of other farang channels....

http://www.cth.co.th/

They also have a page that references a set-top box for their EPL coverage, and it seems to be asking potential customers whether they want SD or HD content.

http://www.cth.co.th/?page_id=277

What I can't tell, though, is are they actually providing real cable service anywhere right now? Or is this all another big dream proposal (one of the kind that often come to nothing around these parts)?

The company also seems to be talking about wanting to be a "triple play" provider, similar to True, with cable TV, broadband internet and VOIP telephone services.

Via Google Translate from the CTH website:

By dividing the operation into three phases: 1. Upgraded membership cable TV and all digital network fiber optic 2. Started offering Internet and telephone system through the internet (VOIP) 3. Expansion. Digital multimedia systems are currently members of the Company's 2.5 to 3 million households. A target within two years to expand membership to 10 million households, the company also aims to serve as a one gigabit-speed Internet access to every household member. The model will be sold in the form of a distribution. "Convergence" or combine all services under the company's products.
Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

And the December The Nation article linked above included the following from TrueVisions:

Suphachai said that at the moment, TrueVisions has no policy to become a sub-licensee of Cable Thai Holding (CTH) to air EPL matches but it would focus on seeking content from other sports and variety programmes and also develop its own content to serve customers.

CTH surprised EPL market observers by beating fancied rivals, like existing rights-holder TrueVisions, to snatch the EPL broadcasting rights for Thailand, Cambodia and Laos for three seasons from 2013-14 to 2015-16. CTH reportedly offered about Bt10 billion to win the rights.

Suphachai said that TrueVisions had considered options to satisfy its subscribers after its EPL broadcasting rights end in May. Among the possible options are reduction of the monthly subscription fee for premium package subscribers or offering them an additional High Definition (HD) channel programme or more content. However, the company has yet to finalise the plan.

Contrary to the view of industry pundits, Suphachai does not think that TrueVisions' business would be severely affected by its failure to win the EPL broadcasting rights as most TrueVisions subscribers are family viewers.

None of the above helps if you want to watch the EPL does it. What a load of crap and there is one thing for certain and that is if I cant get the EPL on True, I will be cancelling and looking elsewhere. I guess that many will do the same.

CTH is at least now cashed up which is a good sign......

BBL funds CTH with Bt4-bn loan deal

SUCHEERA PINIJPARAKARN THE NATION January 9, 2013 1:00 am

Bangkok Bank, which yesterday signed a Bt14-billion loan agreement with Cable Thai Holding (CTH), is confident that lending demand from the cable- and satellite-television sector will now begin to flourish due to the development of broadband services.

The bank's senior executive vice president, Chansak Fuangfu, said broadband network services in Thailand were now starting to take off, besides which there is the upcoming introduction of 3G services. These developments present greater opportunities for the provision of voice and data services, including via cable and satellite television.

As well as CTH, he said the bank believes that other players in the broadband industry will now acquire more content and broadcasting rights, thus boosting loan demand.

CTH last year won the tender for broadcasting rights to English Premier League football matches for three seasons, 2013-14 through to 2015-16.

Bangkok Bank has signed a three-year loan agreement with the company. CTH can withdraw the first tranche of the Bt14-billion financing by end of this month, for EPL rights down payment.

Additional tranches will be used for further EPL rights payments, as well as for CTH's network investment and working capital.

Full article: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/BBL-funds-CTH-with-Bt4-bn-loan-deal-30197542.html

Here's an interesting article from The Nation from last April that talks about the principal sharesholders of CTH, including one guy who's Thaksin's former lawyer.

But more broadly, it also talks about CTH being a pre-existing entity comprised of 200 some smaller cable operators and that the venture was originally founded as a collaborative way for the small frys of cable to acquire foreign programming content.

I wonder if all those small partner cable systems will automatically become carriers of the EPL content via their local systems.... provided, I gather, that individual subscribers agree to pay for special set-top boxes for that purpose.

http://www.nationmul...a-30179315.html

The company in expanding its fibre-optic infrastructure network across the country, a project that should be completed in three years.

The advanced fibre-optic cable network will allow cable-TV operators to offer a wide range of services through cable lines, including providing Web-based services such as Internet protocol television (iPTV) on top of improved-definition programmes.

Wichai said CTH would invest Bt5 billion this year on this network expansion and related technology, of which Bt1 billion will be from its own cash and Bt4 billion from loans and suppliers' credits.

CTH has set an investment budget of Bt20 billion for the period 2012 to 2016, he added.

CTH's members currently have a combined subscriber base of about 3.5 million, which is expected to reach 7 million in the next four years.

The company will break even on the planned investment if it can boost the subscriber base to 7 million, he said, adding that also has eyes on CTH being listed in the stock market.

Meanwhile, re Lakegeneve's good post above, that seems like A LOT of baht for BKK Bank to be doling out in loans based on what seems like not much more than promises and prospects. Not much in the way of collateral or assets, as best as I can see.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Quality games like Dundee Utd. vs Ross County I expect.

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Exactly thats what I'm worried about,I'm afraid the EPL is irreplaceable for me at least.

I am fortunate in ways it seems at least this time that if/once the EPL is no longer available I am under no obligation to continue my subscription as I purchased the equipment outright and have in the past when travelling overseas dropped the subscription many times without problem.

Just as an FYI, i rent the equipment and i too have dropped subscription - i think they call it freeze rather than drop - without problem, and renting the equipment does not in any way oblige me to continue subscription.

biggrin.png

Cricket *shudder*

• 3 weeks later...

Cricket *shudder*

Well that, IMHO, would be infinitely preferable to an increased diet of baseball, basketball, American football, golf and tennis which Truevisions will no doubt be inflicting on us from next August in order to fill the void in their sporting schedules. Alternatively, they might well succeed in concluding agreements with the premier leagues of Patagonia and Lichtenstein to show their games instead.- yippee!!!

As far as the EPL is concerned, I strongly suspect that the service provided by Truevisions from the start of next season will turn out, at best, to be a single-channel (non-HD) one based on that currently offered on ch101 but minus the English-language News and Football Today programmes. In other words, the Three Wise Men will continue to pontificate in Thai from behind their laptops before, during and after each game shown live - as will the gangster rapper lookalikes to present editions of the Yamaha Uncut programme. And, who knows, such stunning programmes as Coca-Cola Fight For 90 might well be revived!

On the positive side, Truevisions should, at least, hopefully spare us the dross originating from the UK and shown on their HD2 channel (135) such as Fanzone, A Game Of Two Halves and a plethora of historical EPL games dating back to 1873. And, all being well, the irritating Big Important Announcements in Thai, which frequently intrude on the start of live editions of the English-language News and Football Today programmes on ch101 (although, thankfully, not on ch135), should be a thing of the past since there will, of course, no longer be anything big and important football-wise for Truevisions to announce.

As for any hope of ESPN coming to the rescue (with, effectively, a return to the pre-Truevisions era), they have, of course, now be rebranded as Fox Sports - which presumably means that they will continue to focus exclusively on the likes of - guess what - baseball, basketball, American football, golf and tennis.

Unfortunately we are stuck with the Truevisions Gold package since cable TV does not appear to exist in any shape or form in our neck of the woods - although it is looking increasingly likely that we shall be cancelling our HD channel subscription. Hopefully Truevisions will, however, continue to show live snooker on ch’s 104 and 105 - which, for me, would go a little way to compensating for the voids which will probably exist in my life on a permanent basis after May.

Edited by OJAS

Cricket *shudder*

Well that, IMHO, would be infinitely preferable to an increased diet of baseball, basketball, American football, golf and tennis which Truevisions will no doubt be inflicting on us from next August in order to fill the void in their sporting schedules. Alternatively, they might well succeed in concluding agreements with the premier leagues of Patagonia and Lichtenstein to show their games instead.- yippee!!!

As far as the EPL is concerned, I strongly suspect that the service provided by Truevisions from the start of next season will turn out, at best, to be a single-channel (non-HD) one based on that currently offered on ch101 but minus the English-language News and Football Today programmes. In other words, the Three Wise Men will continue to pontificate in Thai from behind their laptops before, during and after each game shown live - as will the gangster rapper lookalikes to present editions of the Yamaha Uncut programme. And, who knows, such stunning programmes as Coca-Cola Fight For 90 might well be revived!

On the positive side, Truevisions should, at least, hopefully spare us the dross originating from the UK and shown on their HD2 channel (135) such as Fanzone, A Game Of Two Halves and a plethora of historical EPL games dating back to 1873. And, all being well, the irritating Big Important Announcements in Thai, which frequently intrude on the start of live editions of the English-language News and Football Today programmes on ch101 (although, thankfully, not on ch135), should be a thing of the past since there will, of course, no longer be anything big and important football-wise for Truevisions to announce.

As for any hope of ESPN coming to the rescue (with, effectively, a return to the pre-Truevisions era), they have, of course, now be rebranded as Fox Sports - which presumably means that they will continue to focus exclusively on the likes of - guess what - baseball, basketball, American football, golf and tennis.

Unfortunately we are stuck with the Truevisions Gold package since cable TV does not appear to exist in any shape or form in our neck of the woods - although it is looking increasingly likely that we shall be cancelling our HD channel subscription. Hopefully Truevisions will, however, continue to show live snooker on ch’s 104 and 105 - which, for me, would go a little way to compensating for the voids which will probably exist in my life on a permanent basis after May.

The EPL programmes you refer to are official Premier League programmes that are made available worldwide, so they will probably be part of CTH's coverage as well. Personally, I think they're great (especially John Dykes) although I can do without A Game of Two Halves!

Any news on the extent of CTH's cable infrastructure? I still find it difficult to believe that anyone who wants to susbcribe will actually be able to do so!

I'd really like to know where CTH will be available too. I have a nasty feeling I won't be able to subscribe as I don't think I am in an area where True's cable service is available (just moved house so not sure). I'm only about 4 kilometres from the centre of Chiang Mai but I'm pretty sure cable internet is not available where I am, so I am guessing the infrastructure is not in place here. sad.png

Edited by inthepink

AFAIK, there shouldn't be any particular availability connection between where TrueVisions is available now, and where CTH is or will be offering their services.

TrueVisions has their cable strung where it goes. And CTH will have theirs, an entirely separate system as best as I can tell.

The only thing I'm not clear on is, if you read back thru the CTH articles, you'll see mention of part of their ownership being a consortium of many of the little guy cable systems spread around Thailand. So when CTH starts as a broadcasting entity, will their channels be carried across all those consortium cable systems. Or the small systems will continue their own programming setups, but continue to use CTH only in its original role of helping to acquire international programming content.

I haven't seen that answer addressed anywhere. The CTH website talks about them already having a couple million subscribers... But it's entirely unclear from their site just who or where those subscribers are.

The EPL programmes you refer to are official Premier League programmes that are made available worldwide, so they will probably be part of CTH's coverage as well. Personally, I think they're great (especially John Dykes) although I can do without A Game of Two Halves!

Completely agree with you as regards the 30-min News, 120-min Football Today and 90-min Preview programmes originating from the UK, which I shall sadly miss from the start of next season unless CTH enter into a suitable sub-agreement with Truevisions.

The "Three Wise Men", Yamaha Uncut programme and irritating Big Important Announcements, on the other hand, are, unfortunately, purely Truevisions creations with which we might still be lumbered in whole or in part after August. After all, the fact that ESPN (now Fox Sport) don't hold the necessary TV rights for live matches doesn't appear to prevent their Verdict, Scorecast and Full-Time Reaction programmes from being shown here.

Going off-topic for a moment, I recall a thread you originated a couple of years ago regarding your UK passport renewal experiences with Hong Kong. I am presently going through that agonising process.... sad.png

• Like 1

AFAIK, there shouldn't be any particular availability connection between where TrueVisions is available now, and where CTH is or will be offering their services.

TrueVisions has their cable strung where it goes. And CTH will have theirs, an entirely separate system as best as I can tell.

The only thing I'm not clear on is, if you read back thru the CTH articles, you'll see mention of part of their ownership being a consortium of many of the little guy cable systems spread around Thailand. So when CTH starts as a broadcasting entity, will their channels be carried across all those consortium cable systems. Or the small systems will continue their own programming setups, but continue to use CTH only in its original role of helping to acquire international programming content.

I haven't seen that answer addressed anywhere. The CTH website talks about them already having a couple million subscribers... But it's entirely unclear from their site just who or where those subscribers are.

It seems to me that they will have absolutely no chance of laying (or stringing along poles in Thailand I guess) miles and miles of cable in order to provide access for a reasonable number of subscribers before next August, or am I missing something? Edited by inthepink

It seems to me that they will have absolutely no chance of laying (or stringing along poles in Thailand I guess) miles and miles of cable in order to provide access for a reasonable number of subscribers before next August, or am I missing something?

I would like to know how many Thai visa members are subscribing to the CTH network.

How many Thai visa members have been sounded out to subscribe to the CTH network.

Any Thai visa member noticed any advertising in their area for the new network.

Chicog says it would be easy to recoup the 200 million dollars they have paid for the EPL rights

for the next 3 years, but when you take into account they will have to pay other providers for the

rest of the channels they will have to provide, plus paying for the advertising they will do in order

to promote their service.The 200 million will look like 400 million before they finish.

Interesting to see the True visions share price as risen about 70% in the past 3 months,

my wife bought at 4.2 Baht and today they are 6.95 Baht.

Looks like there are a few good stock market judges who are not worried about the CTH network