British Embassy Hopes To Raise Awareness Of The Dangers Of Driving In Thailand

webfact

2012 World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims

Sunday 18 November 2012 marks the World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims to remember all those killed or injured in road traffic accidents, together with their families, the emergency services and all others affected or involved.

BANGKOK: -- To mark the World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims the British Embassy Bangkok is hoping to raise awareness of the day and warn people of the dangers of driving abroad.

There are over 25 million vehicles in Thailand, a high proportion of which are motorcycles and mopeds. Sadly road traffic accidents in Thailand account for the second most frequent cause of death among British nationals as well as a high number of hospitalisations. The majority of these involve motorcycles and mopeds. Although it is compulsory for the rider to wear a helmet in Thailand, many do not do so.

Some of the key factors behind accidents involving visitors abroad are:

Research has shown that holiday makers abroad are most at risk of having an accident just 60 minutes into their first journe Further information and tips for driving abroad can be found at www.fco.gov.uk/drivingabroad.

Visitors to a foreign country are one-and-a-half times as likely to have a serious accident when travelling in a 100-110 km/h speed limit zone as domestic drivers, because of unfamiliarity at driving at these speeds. Familiarise yourself with the local driving laws – including local speed limits.

Visitors to a foreign country are twice as likely to have a serious accident as domestic drivers because of driver fatigue. Don’t drive when you’re tired, jet lagged and take regular breaks on long journeys.

An international or Thai driving licence is required to drive in Thailand.

Travelling by motorcycle, scooter or moped is significantly more dangerous than by car - if you’re not accustomed to riding a motorcycle you should not attempt to ride one for the first time when abroad on unfamiliar roads. Always wear a safety helmet and suitable clothing.

The probability of being involved in an accident increases for car drivers when renting a vehicle, but is six times higher for people who hire mopeds or motorbikes. If hiring, rent from a reputable company and check your insurance cover. Some motorcycles or scooters for hire in beach resorts are often unregistered and cannot be used legally on a public road.

You could be held personally responsible for any claim for injury or damage if you are not fully covered. Check with your insurance company that you’re fully covered to drive abroad including breakdown recovery and any medical expenses resulting from an accident. Make sure your travel insurance covers you before you decide to drive or be a passenger on a motorbike - check the exclusions carefully.

In the UK all drivers and passengers are required to wear a seatbelt and all motorcyclists wear a crash helmet and safety clothing. These simple but life saving measures are all too often forgotten or ignored when abroad.

Don’t drink and drive. The legal blood-alcohol limit in Thailand is 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. In the UK, the alcohol limit for drivers is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood.

Road traffic accidents are a cause for great concern having a profound effect on both those individuals involved and their families. Accidents do occur and not all tragedies are avoidable, but the outcome could be very different with many lives being saved and critical injuries reduced if people adopted the same safety precautions abroad that they would naturally take at home.

Our consular team provides assistance and support to families bereaved as a result of road traffic accidents and additionally, regularly assist individuals who have sustained severe head and brain injuries caused by motorcycle accidents. Regrettably some of these people suffer life changing, incapacitating injuries. It is not uncommon for families to have the additional worry of mounting hospital bills as either the motorbike’s engine size or the failure to wear a crash helmet invalidates many travel insurance policies.

During his recent visit to Thailand, the UK Foreign Secretary Mr William Hague raised road safety with his counterpart , Thai Foreign Minister Dr Surapong Tovichakchaikul. The UK stands ready to share its experience in achieving one of the best road safety records in the world, and would be happy to support Thailand in this area.

British nationals involved in an accident and needing consular assistance from the British Embassy should call us on 02 305 8333 and my consular team will do all they can to help. For more information on how to prepare yourself for driving abroad, visit our website. [more...]

Full story: http://ukinthailand....sR&id=835713482

-- UK in Thailand 2012-11-16

footer_n.gif

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may even hear the statement "The UK is not our father".

...hence the carnage.

I do try, honestly I do, but " when in Rome" constantly springs to mind when I am out and about on my little Honda.It will take years to eradicate the entrenched thinking that is the Thai attitude to driving, though dare I say it, on the whole on my travels all over BKK it seems to work remarkably well, that is, of course, if you ignore the masses of white chalk on the roads...
  • Like 2

Well the only thing I can say is "Drive safe and dont take chances" Best of luck to all Thaivisa members. Hope you may all live a good life with no accidents biggrin.png

Hmmm, as an experienced motorcyclists, its often suggested to me to "Ride fast, take chances!"

(its like saying 'break a leg')

Edited by qdinthailand

...hence the carnage.

Indeed. Perhaps if the Thais were a little more inclined to accept advice the road toll would not be what it is. I don't think that the UK Government were being paternalistic or colonialist, simply trying to lend a hand. Let's face it - the miracle here in Thailand is not that the road toll is so high - the miracle is that it isn't a whole lot higher! A could start a listof where to start - but there isn't enough space on the page. suffice to say we could start with driver training and law enforcement and probably see a drop of 50% in road fatalities. But, alas, that is unlikley to happen. So, buckle up everybody!

Something to take heart from is at least on this subject the Embasy is prepared to acknowledge that this is a high risk countr for road users but I note from the tone that ther is little critism of the driving standards here .It is the visitors lack of ability /knowledge that is the main culprit. Yeah Right !

• Like 1

a very old topic ....with such a high rates in deadly car accident in thailand , all different governments should have done something about it , 20 years here I never see any improvements just seen more cars and more accidents. Send the people to driving school would be a first good thing , teach Thais road safety and respect , then it might be better .. you can write what ever articles you want on road safety and dangerous roads , nobody except foreigners will pay attention. I would be curious to know how many drive without proper license.

• Like 1

Most farang embassies employ someone full time to take care of their deceased citizens. The job is referred to as the undertaker. Motor cycle accidents are one of the leading exit routes taken by tourists. Sometimes there is very little left to put in the coffin due to fires and explosions after the accidents. This is known as a sand bag job in the trade.

50mg of alcohol per 100ml blood........

This one would make a hell of a cocktail!

No wonder there are so many accidents

Don't understand your reasoning as this is just over half that allowable in England or 1 pint of beer or less!!!

Part of the problem is that there is no education on how to drive for thais... But they want us to have an international drivers liences and to follow what we are taught... But this only works if the other 90% of the domestic drivers that are on the roads have the same learning... Thais just dont care about the consequinces of there actions... Dont think its just Thais either... Farang come here and think that renting and driving moped is so easy, but they need to understand that we at home don't drive them and dont have the expeience on them...

• Like 2

hahahaha, maybe if the thai drivers actually knew the road rules or had a license it might be better. Considering most thai drivers only care about themselves and what they want to do, trying to drive by the rules here is almost impossible. Double lines on a blind corner mean go fast when you cross over them, the cars coming the other way will go off the road for you, what a joke. I have to admit though, I am getting used to it but it would be nice if they understood they need to stop at red lights.

What rules would that be? To have a good chance of avoiding accidents driving in Thailand, you need to drive defensively all the time and use a lot of common sense. There are around 13000 Thais dying on Thai roads every year probably mostly through drink driving and a severe lack of common sense, which we all know Thais are not known for.
  • Like 1

hahahaha, maybe if the thai drivers actually knew the road rules or had a license it might be better. Considering most thai drivers only care about themselves and what they want to do, trying to drive by the rules here is almost impossible. Double lines on a blind corner mean go fast when you cross over them, the cars coming the other way will go off the road for you, what a joke. I have to admit though, I am getting used to it but it would be nice if they understood they need to stop at red lights.

What rules would that be? To have a good chance of avoiding accidents driving in Thailand, you need to drive defensively all the time and use a lot of common sense. There are around 13000 Thais dying on Thai roads every year probably mostly through drink driving and a severe lack of common sense, which we all know Thais are not known for.

Because they are not taught how to drive properly.If they are taught the rules andfollow them there would be alot less accidents...

This offer for help will go no where! First, Thai especially officials just lost face from the suggestion! How do you ask someone to change when they themselves don't embrace the problem. Watch these officials from government offices, police stations, hospital, teachers etc... and watch them drive they are doing the same thing they have been entrusted to enforce. In the end, they don't see anything wrong with the way they drive. It's only when there is a big accident this same guy steps forward and act like he understand what happened then back to the same old which is back to his office with his feet up on the desk. If they really care they would put many of the foreign comments in their Thai newspaper and instead of showing each night on T.V. who died and how they might want to place situation spots showing how stupid they drive!

I for one am a little surprised by all the negativity towards Thai driving standards, surely this problem is not only limited to Thailand, but the majortiy of developing world countries.

I have been here nearly 2 years now ad have driven a car many times and my motorbike everyday, and yes ,there are serious perils out there and you have to really be aware of everything going on around you.

My missus would not let me drive here shiny new Yaris for at least 6 weeks after I arrived here, which was a good thing as it really let me become familiar with driving here, and i would suggest the same for most long term visitors here. As for short term visitors, then the embassy is right to warn, as it should be doing with all the other countries. However, te advice being given by the embassy does seem to be concentrated towards the short term visitor rather than the expat, which I do find a bit disconcerting, are we less important? Where is the advice for expat insurance schemes, in Thailand rather than the UK international cover included by the home country when travelling abroard? How does that little square annual insurance/ tax disc on my scooter work in the case of an accident ? odd that the expat seems to get a slightly rougher deal than the holiday maker in many cases with the Embassy, but that maybe the topic for another discussion .

During his recent visit to Thailand, the UK Foreign Secretary Mr William Hague raised road safety with his counterpart , Thai Foreign Minister Dr Surapong Tovichakchaikul. The UK stands ready to share its experience in achieving one of the best road safety records in the world, and would be happy to support Thailand in this area.

Excuse me Mr UK Foreign Secretary but Thailand does not need any help from any foreign country for any situation. I.E. the USA sending a fleet to assist during last years floods that killed 900+ Thai citizens. They were told to go away, we don't need you.

What the fark? You absolute..... insert profanity here

On the one hand the USA offers help for the flooding and you claim 'we dont need you' but in the same sentance declare that 900 people died?

And the UK having one of the best road safety records in the world - offers advice to one of the most dangerous countries in the world for driving.... Free, impartial advice.... And you speak on beahlf of the Thai people and state they dont need help?

You are totaly and utterly off your rocker. Have another beer, keyboard warrior.

Never heard of Sarcasm then??

• Like 2

Not less than 30 minutes ago I witnessed 4 tourists renting two scooters. The second scooter attempted to move about 2 metres forward to get next the first scooter. The two girls on the scooter let out a big scream as they almost slid into the first scooter. Today might not end well for them. I hope they realise their error and return the bikes early.

If not, I hope they follow my example of rarely going over 40km/h and assuming every driver is going to hit you, every motorbike is going to pull out in front of you and every motorbike is going to fail to indicate or brake before turning off the road.

Som nom na everyone but me.....