Hire Place Holding Passport

Steiner

A mate was out from the UK to visit and after spending a week in Bkk with us headed off down the coast alone.

Before he left I gave him 10 copies of his passport and warned him not to give anyone his passport for any reason under the sun and to use the copies.

We can all guess what happened next; he hired something and handed over his passport passifier.gif

They ran the 'stolen so you have to pay' scam on him and refused to return his passport.

Now I was thinking let them stick the passport where the sun don't shine and get an emergency one before he leaves.

Question is what do we think are his chances of walking through the gates at the airport?

The crooks have his passport and departure card so he is worried that will all tie together and work against him.

Thoughts?

Please no 'I would never hand my passport over' that ship has sailed.

Lost his passport and dont know and cant remember where, get an emergency travel doc at the Brit Embassy to get home and get a replacement when back in the UK.

Dont over think it, they arent that bright.

Edited by CharlieH

Never hand over your passport to anyone. That is the biggest scam there is.

I had the same situation in Koh Phagnan 5 years ago. Hired a motorcycle. They said there was a scratch and wanted 9,000 baht.

I just flat out refused. Said I was going to call the American Embassy and tell them that they had stolen my passport.

They then tried to cut it down to 2,000 baht. I headed for the door. They relented.

Tell him to report it to the Embassy. They will contact the police and he will get his passport back.

The U.S. government makes a big deal about a stolen passport due to the whole terrorism thing.

Never hand over your passport to anyone. That is the biggest scam there is.

I had the same situation in Koh Phagnan 5 years ago. Hired a motorcycle. They said there was a scratch and wanted 9,000 baht.

I just flat out refused. Said I was going to call the American Embassy and tell them that they had stolen my passport.

They then tried to cut it down to 2,000 baht. I headed for the door. They relented.

Tell him to report it to the Embassy. They will contact the police and he will get his passport back.

The U.S. government makes a big deal about a stolen passport due to the whole terrorism thing.

I don't think the US would care about a UK passport.

• Like 1

If he reports the passport stolen it will be cancelled and he will have an Emergency one to go home with.

Of course if he did rent something, without insurance, and it was stolen, then he should be up for that replacement cost.

It was brand new and would have had full insurance, just a scam and the BIB haven't helped at all.

So do we think he would have any issues walking through the gate?

Or should he create a stink through the embassy?

I reckon try to get through to at least discuss it with the embassy before leaving the scene - just be straight with them - yes I'm sorry I know I'm an idiot for letting my passport out of my possession etc. - they may be able to facilitate recovery without having to report it stolen officially.

Where exactly is he? I assume you're talking a domestic flight. If he goes that route, he should get a police report for the stolen passport to carry with him along with government-issued photo ID.

Reminds me of the time i hired a car in Hau Hin, they not only wanted my passport but my three childrens passports!!!!

The negotiations where more about the passports than the type of car and price!

Only in Thailand!

They got a copy of my passport after i had videod the car the contract and the people involved, all in the nicest smiliest way of course.

At one point i told them " too many cons in Thailand with farang and hire car" - I actually think they respected me at the end for not taking any of their BS.

Edited by Chittychangchang

ordinary bike insurance doesnt cover rental.

If he reports the passport stolen it will be cancelled and he will have an Emergency one to go home with.

Of course if he did rent something, without insurance, and it was stolen, then he should be up for that replacement cost.

It was brand new and would have had full insurance, just a scam and the BIB haven't helped at all.

the usual free insurance from dealer doesnt cover rental bikes. did you friend sign the piece of paper without opting the insurance for additional charges?

It wasn't really stolen. These types of scams go on a lot. The guys who work for the hire company followed him and picked up the hired vehicle so they can later scam him for money. They probably just use the address he gives when hiring and go there to take back the vehicle.

I reckon try to get through to at least discuss it with the embassy before leaving the scene - just be straight with them - yes I'm sorry I know I'm an idiot for letting my passport out of my possession etc. - they may be able to facilitate recovery without having to report it stolen officially.

Where exactly is he? I assume you're talking a domestic flight. If he goes that route, he should get a police report for the stolen passport to carry with him along with government-issued photo ID.

Thanks for making me smile smile.png you strike me as a fellow who has had little, if any, contact with the British Embassy ?

Took days for them to get their ass out of the door for a tsunami......

Edited by roamer

Unless it's too late see if your friend can negotiate down to say 5k baht. With all the hassle of obtaining an emergency passport and a replacement in the UK it would be more time and cost effective.

Would the Embassy be bothered to contact the Tourist Police as all the Embassies state do not hand over your passport.

EDIT: I had my passport stolen in Malaysia and had to go to the immigration office to get permission for an exit stamp, for which they charged the equivalent of 1k baht, as they would not process at airport immigration. Do not know if Thai immigration are the same.

Edited by simple1

My niece lost her passport at a full-moon party on Koh Phangan,luckily her Uncle was able to get her a shiny new replacement in Bangkok in 24 hours!

Get a police report and get a new one,simples!

Forget the scamming idiot or having to pay police in on the scam for it,spend the money on a new one,end of!

Unless it's too late see if your friend can negotiate down to say 5k baht. With all the hassle of obtaining an emergency passport and a replacement in the UK it would be more time and cost effective.

Would the Embassy be bothered to contact the Tourist Police as all the Embassies state do not hand over your passport.

EDIT: I had my passport stolen in Malaysia and had to go to the immigration office to get permission for an exit stamp, for which they charged the equivalent of 1k baht, as they would not process at airport immigration. Do not know if Thai immigration are the same.

Why a replacement in the UK,get one in Bangkok?

Why do you think a New motorbike would be fully insured ? None are in Thailand. Non are were I come from. Usually rentals don't have thieft insurance, and if they do maybe they cover 60%

But your friend rented it, Choose to leave his passport and not a cash deposit which any chop will take,, and now he does not want to be resposible ?

So your friend wants to screw the poor small time rental shop operator

Why a replacement in the UK,get one in Bangkok?

From the British Embassy Bangkok website states they do not issue full replacement passports, but processed in H.K. so probably minimum ten days timeline. If the British have the same ID requirements for a full replacement passport, for a lost/stolen passport, as Australia, it requires original ID documents. I doubt OP's friend would have originals to hand in Thailand. For Emergency Travel Document - £95 (4,940 THB)

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Anyone who doesn't travel with a birth certificate and other original ID sufficient to satisfy their country's requirements for getting a new passport is IMO as stupid as those handing their passport over to strangers. I've been doing this since I was twelve and never imagined not everyone does.

And of course don't keep them in the same places as your passport.

Anyone who doesn't travel with a birth certificate and other original ID sufficient to satisfy their country's requirements for getting a new passport is IMO as stupid as those handing their passport over to strangers. I've been doing this since I was twelve and never imagined not everyone does.

I never have traveled on holiday with original ID doco other than passport & drivers license nor do any of my friends. However, Australia government when applying for a full replacement, passport, if lost/stolen, the application and back of one photo must be signed by a person who has known you for a minimum of one year together with their contact details. Just this process takes about 10 days elapsed if overseas if no one local to sign-off. So in Thailand with adding the Australian Embassy processing time of ten working days you're looking at at least 22 days elapsed from reporting the lost/stolen passport if seeking a full replacement passport. Other country embassies may of course have a faster turnaround time.

Edited by simple1

Love all these replies from non Brits about how to get a new British passport and they actually have NO idea. TV can be so helpful until the fools start giving advice about stuff they have zero experience of.

Spot on, I've never had any issues at all & I've required service in Manila, Ottawa & Bangkok all top level. Sure people bitch about the cost but I don't care it's an honour to carry a passport. I for one can't wait for the shared Embassy concept to take off.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/09/23/canada-britain-eye-joint-embassies/

Love all these replies from non Brits about how to get a new British passport and they actually have NO idea. TV can be so helpful until the fools start giving advice about stuff they have zero experience of.

So what's the processing time for obtaining a full replacement British passport in Thailand if reporting a lost/stolen passport. I note from the UK BKK embassy links that it states you cannot have a "premium service" for replacement of a lost/stolen passport. Obviously emergency passports are a different matter

EDIT: In my opinion people underestimate the time and doc requirements for replacing lost/stolen passports; not an emergency passport. e.g. the Australian government process is to apply for a new passport in the same manner as when originally applying for a passport; it is not a replacement passport process. I am also a UK citizen and my understanding HMG has the same requirements; please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by simple1

I never have traveled on holiday with original ID doco other than passport & drivers license nor do any of my friends.

. . .

Other country embassies may of course have a faster turnaround time.

All an American needs is an original birth certificate and one government-issued photo ID, and in an emergency (like showing an ongoing ticket out) an embassy can turn it around in hours - 24 hours is not unusual.

This was as true back in the days before high-speed international computer networks as post 9/11.

But I must admit I haven't had to actually test the system for over six years, with budget cuts it may be slower these days.

So what's the processing time for obtaining a full replacement British passport in Thailand if reporting a lost/stolen passport. I note from the UK BKK embassy links that it states you cannot have a "premium service" for replacement of a lost/stolen passport. Obviously emergency passports are a different matter

I actually have no idea but believe all that is issued is an emergency travel doc that will get him home and he then needs to obtain his new passport in the UK. Bangkok no longer issues passports, everything is sent to/from the UK via Hong Kong at costs considerably more than just getting one in the UK.

If he has the Police report he can go to the Embassy to get an Emergency passport, this allows for a trip back to the UK. The waiting times for a UK passport differ, as the paperwork is sent to Hong Kong then the new passport is sent from the UK.

Also the person in question has to have an Interview at the Embassy to determine the reason for the loss and other details, usually can get an Emergency passport within 24 hours.

Edited by beano2274
  • Like 1

I never have traveled on holiday with original ID doco other than passport & drivers license nor do any of my friends.

. . .

Other country embassies may of course have a faster turnaround time.

All an American needs is an original birth certificate and one government-issued photo ID, and in an emergency (like showing an ongoing ticket out) an embassy can turn it around in hours - 24 hours is not unusual.

This was as true back in the days before high-speed international computer networks as post 9/11.

But I must admit I haven't had to actually test the system for over six years, with budget cuts it may be slower these days.

I certainly do not have my Birth Certificate with me, it is the long UK one, never needed to get a new passport. I doubt if many people actually have their Birth Certificates here.