Pattaya Grinds To A Halt As Heavy Rain Drenches The City

Rimmer

Pattaya grinds to a halt as heavy rain drenches the city

2012-04-01-11-59.jpg

Pattaya: The city recovered quickly from the promised deluge of Sunday and main roads drained well. Traffic however was another matter as gridlock hit the city from north to south

All major roads were at a standstill this afternoon as traffic reacted to the flooding brought on by a huge storm. At one time water was waist high in some areas and the Sukhumvit was virtually unpassable. All Pattaya Roads leading to the Sukhumvit quickly froze and the rains still fell.

Despite the fact that the new city drainage did a pretty good job, Pattaya‘s Soi Buako area remained flooded in most places until after dark with traffic unable to move, roads leading to and from third road are also reported to be still under water in some cases as are many which join second road toward the ocean.

Full story:http://www.pattaya103.com/pattaya-grinds-to-a-halt-as-heavy-rain-drenches-the-city/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-11-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Pattaya is a down hill run from Sukhumvit. You would think the runoff to the sea would be swift?

you are right. the problem is that it is never, of course, a straight run, and there are many rises as well as falls in the road, which make for catchment areas. prime xample is soi chayapoon and the many between it and pattaya central ( klang) .

I remember those days, bout 10 years back when I lived there. I would ride the motorbike through 12-18inch (30 to 45cm) deep flood waters with the honey de jure on squealing on the back with her little feet up trying not to get them in the water. Never once stalled. Those were fun days :D

• Like 1

Pattaya is a down hill run from Sukhumvit. You would think the runoff to the sea would be swift?

It would be, but the buildings on the sea front form a sort of reverse harbour wall that prevents drainage. You can see this happening in Ko Tao and Phi Phi too: anywhere where buildings are slung up haphazardly without regard for flood drainage.

I drove yesterday (Sunday) around 18.00 o'clock on Sukhumvit, just for about 1km, Jomtien Na (Floating Market) and the road was fine and dry.

The only area that was flooded on Sukhumvit, that I saw, was in front of the Floating Market, but that was because they were pumping water OUT of the Floating Market in to the road.cheesy.gif

Guess the tourist shops there got under threat of flooding.

Edited by ronthai

Yes I agree, considering its location and proximity to the ocean there is no reason for Pattaya to flood like that. They just need to spend a bit of money on a drainage system.

Alternately, when these 5 star hotels and shopping complexes move in, make it obligation within the planning permission/contract. I'm sure they would be only too happy.

• Like 1

I was on Soi Pattaya Tai 22. From Pattaya Klaeng south for at least one km, it was at least 9" deep. Some beer bars had 4" of water in them, with their customers sitting on the tables with their feet on the chairs. I pulled over when my motorbike stalled, waited 15 minutes, saw that it was not going down, and finally got out of there. It was a mess to say the least. (Wish I knew how to paste a picture here).

soi Boonsamphan (khao noi) was flooded, again, as per normal after a heavy rain. Only the section between the bypass road and the 2nd 7-11 (heading up Khao Noi) though. And, again, as per normal, half the drain pipes are apparently plugged so that after a short period, the water was gushing up OUT of the sewers and onto the roadway. The torrents of knee-deep water (and mass amounts of garbage) got to the grates that are the width of the road (just before the Bypass) and were eventually drained off (leaving the first couple of grates plugged solid with various bits of mostly plastic garbage).

It was almost funny driving up there in a baht bus with the driver worried about whether or not we'd get swept away by the raging current (though only knee-deepish, it's a downhill run all the way to those drainage gates and that water was moving pretty good). Could have done a "brown-water" rafting course down the soi. I noticed that all the side sois were relatively free of water, as it all gets channelled down onto Khao Noi.

All good fun and a couple hours later it's hard to tell that it ever rained at all !

I remember those days, bout 10 years back when I lived there. I would ride the motorbike through 12-18inch (30 to 45cm) deep flood waters with the honey de jure on squealing on the back with her little feet up trying not to get them in the water. Never once stalled. Those were fun days biggrin.png

"Honey de jure" ... since "de jure" means "by law", that would be your wife. Never heard her referred to that way before, though

I remember those days, bout 10 years back when I lived there. I would ride the motorbike through 12-18inch (30 to 45cm) deep flood waters with the honey de jure on squealing on the back with her little feet up trying not to get them in the water. Never once stalled. Those were fun days biggrin.png

"Honey de jure" ... since "de jure" means "by law", that would be your wife. Never heard her referred to that way before, though

Yep, the fun days when neither you nor the 'Honey de jure [sic?]' stalled.

I am sure that he meant "du jour", as in "soup du jour" -- soup [honey] of the day. Got it? Perhaps "honey du nuit" might be more accurate....

Oh, they are spending money the problem is most of the drains are put incorrectly. My street they put one in but when they did it I could see it wasn't level to drain down to the main pipe instead it was placed draining backward. They didn't care nor did the workers have any idea what they were doing. Then many of the drains in the city are full of said and dirty so unable to drain. Just look at the drains they are putting in on the darkside Soi called Nernpludwan, many of the drains are six inches or more above the surface road so they they are tearing up the road to level the higher place drains but when they finish the road will now be higher on one side so when the rains hard the water will not drain into the drains but down towards he lower end of the road which guess what flood the lower end side.

Edited by Rimmer
Inflammatory
  • Like 1

October of last year was a month long of thunder lightning and rain by the bucketfull per drop...

At the time I was living out in Kao Talo (east Pattaya) while Bangkok turned into a big lake to say the least...

We had bolt lightning not less tha a 100 yards (about a football field) away for days, the crack of the bolts were instantaneous probably twice as loud as a 16-incher kicked out by one of USA's biggest battleships - eg; say like "The Mighty Mo'" w00t.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Sorry for the Bangkok pain of course...

MaiThaiMai

wai2.gifwai.gifwai2.gif