Moving To Thailand

luke69

Hi guys

I'm thinking of moving to Thailand for a couple of months starting from January 2013.

and as usual I've got a couple of questions.

1. what's the best course of action? I'm thinking: get a hotel for a month, see if I like the place, and if I do get someone local to help me find a place to rent long-term. is that a good way to do it?

2. from research I think I want to live somewhere outside of the Patong area on Phuket. any recommendations for places to stay? is it a good choice?

3. I'm still struggling to make a choice between Phuket and Pattaya..

I understand Phuket is a bit more expensive and I think a bit less busy. is that correct?

any other pro's / con's?

I'm also into windsurfing but I think I can do that in both places.

any help is much appreciated.

thanks

Yes to number one. Check out different areas of Phuket as well. It a fairly large island and there are quite a few different areas to choose from to live.

I lived in Patong over 7 years ago, I wouldn't want to live there now. I moved to Rawai after I lived in Patong, I still live there, although it isn't as nice and quiet as it used to be. There are quite a few other areas to check out to live though.

I haven't been to Pattaya in 8 years. I went once and never wanted to go back. I guess it may be cheaper for some things. It all depends on your lifestyle. You can spend a lot or not, either place... If you are a beach person, I would say Phuket would be more to your liking. The Andaman Sea is a lot nicer than the water and beaches around Pattaya, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Phuket is not just a bit more exspensive it's a lot more exspensive and it is just as busy as Pattaya now.

As Jimi says it depends what you want the beaches are definately better here that is if you can get on them with all the beach chair's, jet ski's and the illegal building of restaurants on the beach.

If you do not rent a bike to get around on Phuket it is very hard if not impossble to get around as there is no public transport and you are at the mercy of the tuk tuk and taxi scum who charge more than a hotel room for a short journey.

Pattaya on the other hand has excellent public transport in the form of the very cheap baht bus.

When you say get a local to help you look for a house do you mean an expat or a local local because if you mean the latter expect him to want paying as they do not do anything for nothing here.

If I where you I would have a look around before settling.

I have lived on Phuket for 7 years now and used to love the place but over the last 2 years the place has become a nightmare.So much building and the traffic is gridlocked a lot of the time not to mention the rip offs and the aggressive nature of the locals here.

I have just been to visit a friend, four and half hours from here it has beautiful deserted beaches and the locals are old school they actually smile and want to talk to you without wanting anything from you I even had a guy stop his truck so I could cross the road.

So that's it I have come back to sell up and get out of here before it gets any worse.

Both area's offer whatever you want or need. Yes they are expensive but you can live on the cheap here as you can anywhere in Thailand. Get hotel room for 1 week and search around from there. Monthly rentals in Jan. will be more $$$ but you can find places from 10,000 bht w/AC to 20,000 in and around Phuket. Good luck did this same move 2 years ago and love it. Half time in Hawai'i and other here in Kata Beach. Aloha

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Both area's offer whatever you want or need. Yes they are expensive but you can live on the cheap here as you can anywhere in Thailand. Get hotel room for 1 week and search around from there. Monthly rentals in Jan. will be more $$$ but you can find places from 10,000 bht w/AC to 20,000 in and around Phuket. Good luck did this same move 2 years ago and love it. Half time in Hawai'i and other here in Kata Beach. Aloha

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect App

So is Kata Beach better than Patong?

Seems like most people recently don't recommend going to Phuket at all

Depends what you are looking for. Kata is much quieter than busy Patong, and the beach is much better especially if you want to surf.

Those that slam Phuket - 'well - up to them' Phuket Island has much much to offer.

Depends what you are looking for. Kata is much quieter than busy Patong, and the beach is much better especially if you want to surf.

Those that slam Phuket - 'well - up to them' Phuket Island has much much to offer.

Great thanks.

Any recommendations for places to stay?

Edited by luke69

Great thanks.

Any recommendations for places to stay?

Give us an idea of your budget range on a long stay home rental, Karon and Kata areas are good, Chalong area is also good and more budget friendly.

Edit// January is a bad month to get good price as it's the peak high season.

Phuket is not just a bit more exspensive it's a lot more exspensive and it is just as busy as Pattaya now.

As Jimi says it depends what you want the beaches are definately better here that is if you can get on them with all the beach chair's, jet ski's and the illegal building of restaurants on the beach.

If you do not rent a bike to get around on Phuket it is very hard if not impossble to get around as there is no public transport and you are at the mercy of the tuk tuk and taxi scum who charge more than a hotel room for a short journey.

Pattaya on the other hand has excellent public transport in the form of the very cheap baht bus.

When you say get a local to help you look for a house do you mean an expat or a local local because if you mean the latter expect him to want paying as they do not do anything for nothing here.

If I where you I would have a look around before settling.

I have lived on Phuket for 7 years now and used to love the place but over the last 2 years the place has become a nightmare.So much building and the traffic is gridlocked a lot of the time not to mention the rip offs and the aggressive nature of the locals here.

I have just been to visit a friend, four and half hours from here it has beautiful deserted beaches and the locals are old school they actually smile and want to talk to you without wanting anything from you I even had a guy stop his truck so I could cross the road.

So that's it I have come back to sell up and get out of here before it gets any worse.

Where are you moving to?

If windsurfings your thing then Pattaya is your best option. Here in phuket its better for surfing and kiteboarding but I never see many people on windsurfers here. Jomtiem beach which is about 5 mins from Pattaya beach and walking street ( nightlife area) is supposedly the best place in Thailand for windsurfing, the national team are based there and there is a big competition in dec or Jan I believe. Your budget will go much further there too at any time of year but especially now in high season. Phukets way more scenic got a much more tropical feel to it but getting less so all the time and heading the same way as pattaya which is pretty much just a big city by the sea and has a pretty seedy feel to it IMO. As for nightlife the Clubs are way better up there, If your gonna rent a board you should cut a deal for the month wherever you go to get a better deal, If you bring your own you need to think about how your gonna get it to the beach everyday which could be a nightmare in Phuket unless your staying pretty close by or think you can manage on a motorbike. Hope this helps

If windsurfings your thing then Pattaya is your best option. Here in phuket its better for surfing and kiteboarding but I never see many people on windsurfers here. Jomtiem beach which is about 5 mins from Pattaya beach and walking street ( nightlife area) is supposedly the best place in Thailand for windsurfing, the national team are based there and there is a big competition in dec or Jan I believe. Your budget will go much further there too at any time of year but especially now in high season. Phukets way more scenic got a much more tropical feel to it but getting less so all the time and heading the same way as pattaya which is pretty much just a big city by the sea and has a pretty seedy feel to it IMO. As for nightlife the Clubs are way better up there, If your gonna rent a board you should cut a deal for the month wherever you go to get a better deal, If you bring your own you need to think about how your gonna get it to the beach everyday which could be a nightmare in Phuket unless your staying pretty close by or think you can manage on a motorbike. Hope this helps

That's really good to know, thanks

thanks for the help guys

Im 24, budget is $2000 / month for everything (rent, food, fun, etc.)

Nightlife is somewhat important but I would put windsurfing above that

$2,000 is about 60,000 baht a month - doubt there will be too much left for "fun" after rent,food etc

Hi guys

I'm thinking of moving to Thailand for a couple of months starting from January 2013.

and as usual I've got a couple of questions.

1. what's the best course of action? I'm thinking: get a hotel for a month, see if I like the place, and if I do get someone local to help me find a place to rent long-term. is that a good way to do it?

2. from research I think I want to live somewhere outside of the Patong area on Phuket. any recommendations for places to stay? is it a good choice?

3. I'm still struggling to make a choice between Phuket and Pattaya..

I understand Phuket is a bit more expensive and I think a bit less busy. is that correct?

any other pro's / con's?

I'm also into windsurfing but I think I can do that in both places.

any help is much appreciated.

thanks

Hey Luke,

Just moved to Thailand recently and Phuket in particular. Spent time here before the move so I had good knowledge of the surrounds in BKK, Pattaya and Phuket. But being a tourist on all those occasions you never get into the long term aspects such as actually being here long term and visas for long stay and procedures for certain things when you not a citizen. Not an issue just a very big shift from enjoying Thailand as a tourist. Research upfront on all aspects and try obtain the correct visa for a long stay before embarking to avoid visa runs in country as its just an added inconvenience when trying to make a place your new home.

Chose Phuket because its my favorite place from previous experience. Beautiful island with all the amenities for those who like western comforts. International airport and pretty much everything you need as your BASE in Thailand that some more remote areas don't offer.

I stay in Kalim around the corner from patong... Iam young, younger than you even and I would never live in patong itself. For a 3 week holiday hell yea!!! But for a permanent move you will get sick of it. Nice to be close enough to it at your age because I guarantee you will be spending a decent amount of time there. Whether its the wealth of restaurants, beach activities, shopping malls, partying its definitely the hub of Phuket.

As mentioned before the transport industry here is up to shit... Stay close to where you want to base yourself on the island especially if you on a scooter (which will be your means of transport on that budget) as the less time spent on the road will potentially = the longer you stay alive. Cynical but a harsh fact of the road dangers here.

Regards to the negativity on "Phuket being the most expensive" in all honesty I haven't noticed it the way I live comparing central BKK, pattaya and phuket. But with your budget it might be a consideration. However although it should be a consideration I don't think it will be an issue on the island. Can't live like a king though on any level.

With the budget your biggest cut is going to go into rent so try not shell out too much so you can enjoy spending money. Kata, Karon, Patong and Kalim on the whole you not going to find much if anything in budget. There always going to be small back Soi tiny apartments and the likes all over but your best bet on higher standard living on a budget will be Chalong, Rawai, Phuket town, Kathu, Thalang and some back set areas of Kamala. To mention the main areas.

I suggest you come along to phuket grab a hotel in Patong for a week or 2, rent a scooter and do a nice tour of the island! Forsee what you will enjoy and what you wanna be close to! Basically find your preferable base then hit up some of the big real estate companies here. Do a web search give them your budget your preferable locations and they will arrange viewings for you!

Hope that helps!

thanks for all the in-depth info guys. really appreciate it.

So what do you think would be a comfortable budget to have on Phuket?

I know it varies from person to person, so maybe a better question would be how much do you guys spend a month?

I know it varies from person to person, so maybe a better question would be how much do you guys spend a month?

Comfortable is dependent on your definition of it:) but you can live more than adequately on your budget... You're earning about double the starting rate of the Farang teachers in Phuket and they have some fun from what I hear. And I doubt anyone will answer your latter question.

That's an impossible question for our members to answer. We have no idea of your life style and requirements. Previous topics on this same subject have ranged from 40,000 - 200,000 baht/month.

My advice to new Phuket residents is 40,000 on budget and 120,000 to be comfortable (nice rental home, bike, car, and comprehensive vehicle and medical insurance)

Comfortable is dependent on your definition of it:) but you can live more than adequately on your budget... You're earning about double the starting rate of the Farang teachers in Phuket and they have some fun from what I hear. And I doubt anyone will answer your latter question.

It's been asked and answered before:

With a very limited budget like that, I suggest that your accom planning be centred around being close to places you are likely to spend most of your time - transportation around here is relatively expensive. If you plan on hiring a m/cycle, make sure you have a m/cycle licence in your home country and get an International Driver's Permit at your local auto club. You also mention only coming here for a 'couple of months' - hardly the same as moving here, and you will be wanting 'short term' accom, not long term. Long term involves leasing for at least 6 months (with many places requiring 12 months up). You may find it more comfortable if you could find another couple of thousand dollars, since your rental options for short term are limited and will be at high season prices. Good luck.

thanks for the help guys

Im 24, budget is $2000 / month for everything (rent, food, fun, etc.)

Nightlife is somewhat important but I would put windsurfing above that

Why do people keep posting in dollars are we not in Thailand?

The OP luke69 isn't ! smile.png

Pattaya definately is cheaper than Phuket for almost everything, budget of 60K a month......not being biased as I stay in Pattaya but that will be a stretch in Phuket, dont forget things like transport, Pattaya has the 10Baht songthaew...Phuket 500baht taxis....If you intend to party a lot again Pattaya is a much cheaper....January is high season so accommodation will be a large chunk out of your budget, again I would think Pattaya is cheaper although Phuket residents may be able to give some alternatives they know about. Of course the downside with Pattaya is the beaches and scenery dont compare to the Andamon.

Edited by PattayaPhom

I think if your coming to Thai for a couple of months then really you are just having a holiday and trying to get more informed about the place , but if you are really looking to come to Thai for a extended period you really want to stand in front of a mirror and ask yourself what is the reason you want Thailand , and go to suit what you are all about. eg surfing ok a beach place . sexy man and you like the girls and drink ok Pattaya ,phuket , bangkok . peace and quiet ok North Thailand not far from the border .

As u asked for an opinion... I am the same age as you and 5 years ago i spent 3 months in pattaya. I stayed at a friends bar right in the centre and had a very good time. Ive been to phuket and its great and all but imo pattaya's better. Theres more to do and its not so far away. I dunno if u've been to thai before and how native ur prepared to go but money can go quick. So be careful. Theres soo much to 'invest' in here. My advice would b pick a convient base that is close to everything. Food, fun the lot it will really make ur trip and enable u to hve a gd time.

Have a great time. Many people wish they cud do it all again.

I have spent time in both places and can assure you that Pattaya is much cheaper and easier to get around. As you are only here for 2 months I would suggest a guest house. Nice places in Patts for 10k a month, which leaves you plenty for fun stuff. The seas around Phuket are nicer than Patts, but as someone pointed out already, the windsurfing is supposed to be good at Jomtien (near Pattaya). You could of course do a month in both places and discover for yourself biggrin.png

Edited by DoctorG

thanks for all the info guys.

It seems like the best course of action for me might be to go to Pattaya first which seems cheaper.

Spend some time there, establish my cost base, and then think about other opportunities.

Btw.

I've read so many topics on this forum about monthly costs of living.

Seems like most people cant answer simple questions about how much they spend and what they have for that money (which would help a lot, i.e. I live in a small appartment and pay XXX THB or I live in a villa with a pool and pay XXX THB)....

...its suprising because everyone is posting under an alias and not a real name + surname so its all safe and no one will knows who you are.

But instead people use these topics as penis extensions.

Anyhow, thanks to all the good people for helping me out with some good tips.

Much appreciated.

• Like 1

It seems like the best course of action for me might be to go to Pattaya first which seems cheaper.

Spend some time there, establish my cost base, and then think about other opportunities.

Btw.

Seems like most people cant answer simple questions about how much they spend and what they have for that money (which would help a lot, i.e. I live in a small appartment and pay XXX THB or I live in a villa with a pool and pay XXX THB)....

...its suprising because everyone is posting under an alias and not a real name + surname so its all safe and no one will knows who you are.

Much appreciated.

You could google "real estate Phuket" and find many websites for Real Estate Agents. On those websites, they have a "buy or "rent" search. There will be photos, details and prices. You can get a rough idea of costs.

Also, check hotel booking websites and then go to the hotel's actually website. Many will do monthly rates.

<snip>

Cost of living in Phuket topics will always give very varied results, and there have been many here on Thaivisa. I can understand why many members don't want to contribute as those that spend very little attract the 'doubter's posts' and those that spend a lot get the 'abusive posts. Fact is that everyone has different expectation, and big differences in income.

Btw.

Much appreciated.

How much do you want to spend per month and then you may get some answers

I know people who only spend 15K baht a month and people who claim to spend 100K baht a month or more