Suv + Ppv

rics21

there are quite a lot of choices for SUV/ PPVs nowadays, so which one is better?

Toyota Fortuner PPV: good on resale value but "old" model / engine

Honda CRV SUV: good on resale value and its a new model, but the consumption has got some bad reviews.

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport PPV: not really good on resale value and the model is dated.

Chevrolet Captiva SUV: The Thai version of the Daewoo, pricey for its performance.

Chevrolet Trailblazer PPV: not sure on the resale value yet, but cant be good. The HP is @ 180 and it weights only around 1.8 tonnes. It should be able to perform better than the tuna/ PJS. Look at Thaicruze’s topic on the servicing of chev in Thailand, it really turns me off.

Isuzu Mu7 PPV: almost outdated.

Nissan X –Trail SUV: its ugly, and has really bad resale value. 136 HP for a 1460kg SUV is somehow ridiculous.

Ford Everest PPV: Its an antique.

Ford Escape SUV: guess they need the Kuga to relieve the escape. But after 3 recalls in the US, it’s a goner.

Changed your mind?

Last time your purchase choices were:

1) BMW X1 18i

2) BMW X1 20d

3) Merc Benz C200

4) BMW 318i

5) Volvo S60

saai.gif

My vote goes to:

You found a new acronym.

i was looking for a replacement for my wifes vios. still not sure which to sell; the PJS or the Vios.

i will most likely change for a car with better image.

Changed your mind?

Last time your purchase choices were:

1) BMW X1 18i

2) BMW X1 20d

3) Merc Benz C200

4) BMW 318i

5) Volvo S60

saai.gif

My vote goes to:

You found a new acronym.

i was looking for a replacement for my wifes vios. still not sure which to sell; the PJS or the Vios.

...get the X1 than...biggrin.png

Just let her chose a colour she likes and buy whichever car comes in that colour.giggle.gif

• Like 2

Just let her chose a colour she likes and buy whichever car comes in that colour.giggle.gif

clap2.gif

IMHO, it's still a solid battle between the Pajero Sport and the Fortuner...

The lastest 2 minor changes to the Fortuner have seen it's ride quality now improve to (perhaps even slightly edge past) PJS levels, and the addition of a 5-speed AT and engine tweaks now give it comparable performance to the PJS. But, it's 3rd row seat implementation still sucks, the interior feels bland and dated, and even now on it's 3rd styling change it's hard to forget you've been seeing the shape for 8 years..

The PJS is half the age of the Fortuner (released Q3 2008), matches the Fortuner for resale value, performance, FE and in-cabin NVH (but the Tuna's 3.0L diesel is still the quietest in the segment from outside), and is loaded to the rafters with standard features - some of which the Fortuner doesn't offer at all.. for less money. It's a hard to ignore value proposition in the segment.

The Trailblazer tries to combine the best attributes of the Fortuner and Pajero Sport, and gets very close to the mark too, but somehow or other it doesn't excite - hard to explain. Maybe it's the horrid interior, maybe it's the rear end styling that looks like it was grafted from a completely different car... maybe it's just because it's a Chev and you know in the back of your mind that service is going to suck, and so is resale value.. Or maybe just because you spent some time trying to rehearse your response to "Why didn't you buy a Fortuner or Pajero?!?", and you just couldn't nail a solid argument.. :P

The Everest and Mu-7 are both non-starters IMHO - both of these antiques are in dire need of a new generation.

If you can live with the looks and running costs, and don't actually need to seat 7 people reguarly, don't do big road trips with heavy weights on board, don't ever venture off-road, the CR-V and Craptiva crossovers are worth considering. Yes you're getting less metal for your money (due mainly to unfavorable tax rules) but both are arguably a little more refined to drive and have better NVH than the PPV's and nicer interiors too...

I'm going to guess that for you, stepping into the VIOS is hard to do after stepping out of the PJS, but I'm also going to guess that while your wife loves the visibility in the PJS, she still prefers parking a VIOS ;)

Why not consider one of the new smaller SUV/crossovers we'll be seeing in TH next year? The Mazda CX-5 is a great looking car in the metal, and the top-spec model with the 2.2L diesel and 6AT is very nice to drive, to look at and to sit in.. We'll also be seeing the new Ford Escape (Kuga) which if launched with the 2.0L ecoboost engine the US models get is also a great car to drive.. But it is perhaps a little over styled, and Ford doesn't carry the same brand prestige in TH that Mazda enjoys...

• Like 1

I'm going to guess that for you, stepping into the VIOS is hard to do after stepping out of the PJS, but I'm also going to guess that while your wife loves the visibility in the PJS, she still prefers parking a VIOS ;)

Why not consider one of the new smaller SUV/crossovers we'll be seeing in TH next year? The Mazda CX-5 is a great looking car in the metal, and the top-spec model with the 2.2L diesel and 6AT is very nice to drive, to look at and to sit in.. We'll also be seeing the new Ford Escape (Kuga) which if launched with the 2.0L ecoboost engine the US models get is also a great car to drive.. But it is perhaps a little over styled, and Ford doesn't carry the same brand prestige in TH that Mazda enjoys...

I looked into the CX5 specs. The performance seems to be lose out quite a bit as compared to CRV. - tell me if I m wrong, u r the pro anyway.

Its known to be green, and its fuel consumption is great. Any idea how much will it be priced?

I guess the ford kuga will not be launched soon? Ford Thailand seems to really slow when bringing a new car over here. I read the long waits on the wildtrak.

The design is really flamboyant, which is quite unique.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

I looked into the CX5 specs. The performance seems to be lose out quite a bit as compared to CRV. - tell me if I m wrong, u r the pro anyway.

Its known to be green, and its fuel consumption is great. Any idea how much will it be priced?

I guess the ford kuga will not be launched soon? Ford Thailand seems to really slow when bringing a new car over here. I read the long waits on the wildtrak.

Sounds like you may have been comparing specs on models in different markets - here's how the top-spec (~1.5M-1.6M Baht) TH versions will stack up:

0-100 KM/hr:

CX-5 2.2L 6AT 4WD - 9.3 secs

CR-V 2.4L 5AT 4WD - 11.8 secs

Combined fuel economy:

CX-5 2.2L 6AT 4WD - 17.5 KM/L

CR-V 2.4L 5AT 4WD - 11.5 KM/L

There's a very obvious leader there ;)

Pricing for TH hasn't been revealed yet (indeed nor has the car), but I would expect it to range from 1.0M to 1.6M as per the other players in the segment.

• Like 1

Sounds like you may have been comparing specs on models in different markets - here's how the top-spec (~1.5M-1.6M Baht) TH versions will stack up:

0-100 KM/hr:

Combined fuel economy:

There's a very obvious leader there ;)

Pricing for TH hasn't been revealed yet (indeed nor has the car), but I would expect it to range from 1.0M to 1.6M as per the other players in the segment.

Thanks. That is something worth waiting for.

That's great news/info.

Now we just need a RAV4 to get made over here and we'll have a good selection of crossovers to choose from.

I doubt that. The CR-V and Captiva have had the cross-over market to them selves for years and probably will continue for a while.

For what ever reason Mazda and Ford have not bothered to get the CX5 and Escape replacement here yet. Why do Ford bother with the Territory at 3M?

Toyota do not seem interested in RAV4 or the Kluger / Highlander for LOS. The RAV4 was on the market here 10 years ago at prices close to the Territory.

Nissan are not really trying with the old X Trail.

VW, Subaru, Hyundai, Ssangyong and Suzuki prices and dealer networks are not competitive.

I hope Ford and Mazda get their new models here soon.

0-100 KM/hr:

Combined fuel economy:

There's a very obvious leader there wink.png

Think we'll see the new MU7 or Everest at the auto show?

0-100 KM/hr:

Combined fuel economy:

There's a very obvious leader there wink.png

Think we'll see the new MU7 or Everest at the auto show?

At the motor show in 9 days time:

MU7 - yes, the new model will be publicly revealed.

New Everest - highly unlikely, unless they surprise us with a concept, but that's unlikely ;)

Anyone know the current delivery time on a new PJS?

No official word... But you can be 100% sure the wait time will start growing quickly in 9 days time wink.png

I tot the PJS will have a model change by 2014. Why will anyone buy it now?

Uhh, because they need a car?

cant they buy the CRV?

Mid-late 2014 likely, though 2015 possible.

Not many people in the market for a car now would be willing to wait 2 years, and besides, the new model will launch with higher prices and less equipment anyway - it can't launched fully loaded, otherwise how would Mitsubishi keep their MO of a yearly minor change? Paint the wheels black, put stickers on it and call it "Xtreme"? :D :D

• Like 1

Mid-late 2014 likely, though 2015 possible.

Not many people in the market for a car now would be willing to wait 2 years, and besides, the new model will launch with higher prices and less equipment anyway - it can't launched fully loaded, otherwise how would Mitsubishi keep their MO of a yearly minor change? Paint the wheels black, put stickers on it and call it "Xtreme"? biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

so where is your new cars for 2013 and beyond post?

That's great news/info.

Now we just need a RAV4 to get made over here and we'll have a good selection of crossovers to choose from.

Keep thinking I see one, but then it has a Chery Badge on it... Tiggo looks pretty good for 825,000 baht, ABS, Airbags and leather, not many would be any the wiser if you stuck a Toyota + Rav4 badge on it

Anyone know the current delivery time on a new PJS?

I called into the Mitsu dealership in Khon Kaen (the one roughly opposite Tesco Lotus) and picked up a 2WD black one from stock.

It was even ready for collection before I could transfer the money over from England. This was just over 3 weeks ago.

Just noticed they increased the price of the PJS by 30 K... A 2WD price is now 1.209 K THB... Quite a hike for the few changes (steering wheel radio controls, and rear video console - sold normally 6 K by the dealers). Oh yes, and not to forget: the rear spoiler which is now standard!

Just noticed they increased the price of the PJS by 30 K... A 2WD price is now 1.209 K THB... Quite a hike for the few changes (steering wheel radio controls, and rear video console - sold normally 6 K by the dealers). Oh yes, and not to forget: the rear spoiler which is now standard!

Just out of curiosity, and not that it justifies the price hike but have they also upgraded the entertainment system? It has looked like the V6 had a different system and I assume that it would find its way across the range with this update.

Just out of curiosity, and not that it justifies the price hike but have they also upgraded the entertainment system? It has looked like the V6 had a different system and I assume that it would find its way across the range with this update.

Not too sure about that, but it would not seem so. IMHO had mentioned these changes in the sticky on the Motor show:

2013 Pajero Sport:

Same updates at the 2013 Triton, plus: Updated power steering on all models (less turns lock-lock?), reversing camera and black interior now standard on GT models, GT 4WD and GT V6 models now come standard with navigation (with 3D imagery).

I think I may regret the black interior... biggrin.png