Big Crash!

dogpoo

I honked a guy on my bike as his big ford truck was about to pull out in front of me. He pulled out after me horn blowing right up my ass shouting wanke_r out the window...bit irrelevant post but that guy was a wanke_r if the highest order... Parks in Bronte road and an old fella if anyone knows him to tell him...

Yep you got to be a bit careful with your horn over here ,the one time I used the horn because dome idiot stopped his car in the middle of the road while he looked out his window to see what fruit they were selling on side of road ,he got out his car called me a dick hard and threatened to shoot me ,I just laughed at him.

Last week someone was saying how he honked his horn at a silver minivan in Phuket and the bloke got out and punched him in the face,so be warned now i only use the horn when I'm in a rage and always ready to get out and have it with the guy

Are you saying you are ready to be involved in a fight with another road user? are you not concerned with possible visa problems should you be arrested for violence?

I have honked at many road users and never had a problem, would I get involved in road rage, no never for it will end in disaster!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why honk then (after the issue) ? Here I reserve the honk for averting disaster not as a "f u ... Why you do that" like most times in oz ... Serves no point beyond self satisfaction once the potential issue is over. of course you want to but why bother... And yes I have honked after the potential issue here when was a very close call but generally it's a case of why bother...

Why honk then (after the issue) ? Here I reserve the honk for averting disaster not as a "f u ... Why you do that" like most times in oz ... Serves no point beyond self satisfaction once the potential issue is over. of course you want to but why bother... And yes I have honked after the potential issue here when was a very close call but generally it's a case of why bother...

Using the horn in a road rage type situation will more than likely provoke the other driver and lead to a problem, I have used my road horn on quite a few occasions to let people know I am there and to let them know they have done something stupid, never had a problem with this so far, ideally it is best to let it go and think to yourself that the other person is an idiot!! this is difficult for people who can not control there emotions!

You got to expect the unexpected over here and be ready to take evasive action when required ,you done well and saw him positioned in advance you just failed the expect the unexpected part never mind glad no-one was injured.

I see what you are saying but we were literally only a few feet away from him when he pulled out, no one on this planet could have avoided it, as I have said before speed kills, I always drive at sensible speeds, if I had been driving at 60/80 kph I think we would both be in hospital!!

I still think it's your fault. You could have noticed that the guy didn't look at you or recognize you at all, and slowed down, used the horn, etc.

People keep telling me accidents happen through no fault of their own. I don't buy it. Take some responsibility for the things that happen to you. And consider those motorcyclists - usually the old people in the village - who never have an accident. Are they just so lucky?

I mean yeah it's possible that you actually could have done absolutely nothing but in most cases that's not entirely true. Was that unexpected? Sure! Dumb? Sure!! But we all make mistakes. The guy made a big mistake not looking at all in your direction, you made a small, easy to make mistake in thinking he wouldn't just take off.

For example on my home stretch on canal road, there's lots of closed off bridges; some are quite popular for a U-turn, so people come flying out of these from the sides onto what a normal person would consider a freeway.

Then there are closed off bridges that almost nobody uses and those are really dangerous - can I trust those kamikaze pilots to always look, and to always see me before they take off on their mad dash across the freeway? Of course not, I have to keep an eye on those blocked off bridges, even those that I've never seen anybody come out; some day somebody will.

I've had some crashes but they were all my very own stupidity and each one a lesson learned :D

• Like 1

You got to expect the unexpected over here and be ready to take evasive action when required ,you done well and saw him positioned in advance you just failed the expect the unexpected part never mind glad no-one was injured.

I see what you are saying but we were literally only a few feet away from him when he pulled out, no one on this planet could have avoided it, as I have said before speed kills, I always drive at sensible speeds, if I had been driving at 60/80 kph I think we would both be in hospital!!

I still think it's your fault. You could have noticed that the guy didn't look at you or recognize you at all, and slowed down, used the horn, etc.

People keep telling me accidents happen through no fault of their own. I don't buy it. Take some responsibility for the things that happen to you. And consider those motorcyclists - usually the old people in the village - who never have an accident. Are they just so lucky?

I mean yeah it's possible that you actually could have done absolutely nothing but in most cases that's not entirely true. Was that unexpected? Sure! Dumb? Sure!! But we all make mistakes. The guy made a big mistake not looking at all in your direction, you made a small, easy to make mistake in thinking he wouldn't just take off.

For example on my home stretch on canal road, there's lots of closed off bridges; some are quite popular for a U-turn, so people come flying out of these from the sides onto what a normal person would consider a freeway.

Then there are closed off bridges that almost nobody uses and those are really dangerous - can I trust those kamikaze pilots to always look, and to always see me before they take off on their mad dash across the freeway? Of course not, I have to keep an eye on those blocked off bridges, even those that I've never seen anybody come out; some day somebody will.

I've had some crashes but they were all my very own stupidity and each one a lesson learned :D

The young lad was looking at us or looking through us! Shame I did not have some helicopter blades attached to my back as this is the only possible chance of avoiding a collision, no it was not my fault, I was driving at a speed which was safe considering the road and conditions, yes it was the young lads fault because even though he appeared to be looking our way he obviously thought he could get out of our way quick enough, he was wrong! The people apologized straight away and are paying for all repairs, this does not sound like my fault, what do you think?

It may make them realize that they almost killed someone through their own stupidity, and assess how not to do so again, thus possibly saving an accident from happening in the future.

Or it could get you hunted down and executed by an angry Thai man with a severely delicate ego and years of resentful, built up anger.

The latter is more probable.

I've had some crashes but they were all my very own stupidity and each one a lesson learned biggrin.png

I've had 3 accidents in Thailand.

One of which I was stationary in a side street traffic jam and a taxi reversed into me from a parking spot.

Another, a car tired to over take my car in a multi story car park (I guess I was going too slow while hunting for a space).

Another, I was turing right and a mini-van tried to over take me at the junction and hit my drivers door.

With the benefit of hindsight I can't see how any of my accidents could have realistically been avoided other than by not being there at that point in time.

While driving carefully and defensively it is also unrealistic to have to stop each and every time we see someone at a junction who might pull out in front of us. It's OK to say that, but I doubt any of us find it realistic to stop each time we approach an occupied junction. If we did someone on this forum would also blame us for being rear ended for stopping unnecessarily.

We simply have to accept that in Thailand there are a far greater number of careless or even dangerous and idiotic drivers on the roads.

No matter how defensively we drive we can always be involved in an accident where the only responsibility that can be thrown at us is for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I can't see how the Op was at fault, if he stopped on the main road in anticipation of an accident he may well have been rear ended by a following vehicle with far worse consequences.

I see it time and time again, an accident happens through shear carelessness and stupidity. In many cases it doesn't take two to tango, it takes one careless driver and simply another in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't ride a bike. But what worries me is a silly motorcycle rider pulling out straight in front of me and I can do little to avoid at times what may be potentially devastating consequences.

After reading threads like these a dash cam seems like a great idea.

Great advice from the poster who suggested the Op doesn't take his daughter on the bike, especially if he has an alternative and can afford a car.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

On my Thailand scooter trip I only honked twice in anger after the event... The second time he reappeared 20 mins later 1m away on the highway at 80kms and stayed there until (I think) he saw I was suitably scared...

I 'pap' my horn quite frequently which has helped avoid many potential minor accidents. I do my best to do the 'double - PAP-PAP' which I sounds a little friendlier than a blasting out a long 'honk'...

I've also appreciated the odd motorcycle who's sounded their horn at me when I've not noticed them floating in my blind spot.

The long blast of the horn can potentially get us into trouble, but a short double-tap on the horn doesn't seem too aggressive.

• Like 2

How do you make eye contact with a car who has tinted windows or a motorbike rider who has a tinted visor?

The post, I wrote about tinted windows, visors or sunglasses, you've answered to it!

I try to make it easier for you:

"That's why I handle all cars with black glasses like 'They never looked into my direction'.

Motorcycles driver with black visor or sunglasses also."

I honked a guy on my bike as his big ford truck was about to pull out in front of me. He pulled out after me horn blowing right up my ass shouting wanke_r out the window...bit irrelevant post but that guy was a wanke_r if the highest order... Parks in Bronte road and an old fella if anyone knows him to tell him...

Yep you got to be a bit careful with your horn over here ,the one time I used the horn because dome idiot stopped his car in the middle of the road while he looked out his window to see what fruit they were selling on side of road ,he got out his car called me a dick hard and threatened to shoot me ,I just laughed at him.

Last week someone was saying how he honked his horn at a silver minivan in Phuket and the bloke got out and punched him in the face,so be warned now i only use the horn when I'm in a rage and always ready to get out and have it with the guy

Are you saying you are ready to be involved in a fight with another road user? are you not concerned with possible visa problems should you be arrested for violence?

I have honked at many road users and never had a problem, would I get involved in road rage, no never for it will end in disaster!!

Think I worded my post a bit wrong ,now I don't use the horn , but if I'm having a bad day and someone does something extra stupid I will give them a beep and would be willing to get out the car if needed,in other words I'm not gonna sit cowering in my car if someone gets annoyed cause I beeped them when they were doing something dangerous or stupid.

I've had some crashes but they were all my very own stupidity and each one a lesson learned biggrin.png

Yes, many times you may could have done something better even if the accident was the other party's fault. But we should not blame someone for something we do not exactly know how it happened. It was clearly the young thai guys fault and i would be shocked too if it would have happened to me with a kid as my pillion.

It takes years to get used to such conditions like crazy thai traffic till you get an instinct for dangerous situations. But we should not forget, there are traffic rules, even in Thailand. And if someone is causing an accident than its not my fault if my instinct wasn't good enough.

How do you make eye contact with a car who has tinted windows or a motorbike rider who has a tinted visor?

The post, I wrote about tinted windows, visors or sunglasses, you've answered to it!

"That's why I handle all cars with black glasses like 'They never looked into my direction'.

So you honk at every car with tinted windows? :cheesy:

So you honk at every car with tinted windows? cheesy.gif

But you did follow the topic, didn't you?whistling.gif

Edited by noob7

There are no clever explanations to my accident, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the right thing, the accident was unavoidable, no serious injury and damage minimal, it's that simple!! I thought I would share the experience in the hope that others would think and take extra care from now on!!

I'm staunchly in the honk the horn camp. See any other road user making a decision? Honk the horn!

horn-please-mywork11.jpg

In Indonesia my left hand riding gloves always had a small hole in the thumb from using the horn. The most scary ride was when the horn stopped working one day. Had to ride about 150kms without itohmy.png

There are no clever explanations to my accident, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the right thing, the accident was unavoidable, no serious injury and damage minimal, it's that simple!! I thought I would share the experience in the hope that others would think and take extra care from now on!!

I know, it happened to me too.

A taxi pulled out between the cars on the opposite direction doing a U-turn 2 meters in front of me, sometimes there just is nothing you can do.

ed: and this is in spite of driving a chopper that in effect is a continuous horn honking, albeit not quite as loud

Edited by poanoi

Thank goodness, no major injuries. I can’t imagine what went through your mind while looking to see if your daughter was ok.

She was great as I got off the bike she was already standing on the opposite side of the road, she is made of strong stuff!!

You got lucky sir, I assume she was wearing a helmet correctly placed on her head with chin straps on...

Young blokes always missjudge the distance between themselves and the next motorbike, I bet if you were going faster, he would have waited as he would know that he could not make it. He just thought you probably were not going fast enough and he would have plenty of time to get out before you would be in the same spot. (He should have paid more attention in his maths class)...

I am sure that he was in the wrong, I was not there but what I usually do is to not be too far on the shoulder of the road, that way, if the "clown" I assume will pull out, does that, I can pass him on two sides... I then have options.

When was learning to ride bikes back home in the mother country, my instructor always claimed that if you did not have an "hail mary exit route" you had some to blame yourself. Maybe the roadplacement was wrong, maybe you assumed that he would wait (assumtion is the mother of all <deleted>... ups) or something, depending on how you angle it... I am sure a slippery insurance agent could find ways that you were at 100% fault, maybe even claiming you were riding to fast???

I think that you did your best, and I am happy that you and your daughter is ok, I am also happy as you claim the boy is also ok. Accidents happen, and this might just be one of the... But to claim that you were completley free from the blame, NOPE, there is always something that could have been done differently. Practice harder, become a better rider, learn how to do evasive manouvers, emergency brakings and so on, learn how to spot those "emergency exits"... Is it easy? no, but it will make you a better and safer rider.

And don't forget to NEVER trust ANYONE that is on the road, you DON'T know what they are doing, thinking, planning and so on...

Get well soon, take care and get back on the bike as soon as possible...

Seems that all members are scared of the crazy thai traffic. So everyone has his own special way for dealing with it. Of course, if i do not have an accident for a while i start thinking "I am a very good rider and doing everything right". But some situations are uncontrolable. And shit can happen to everyone.

These are the important things to do. And there is not much more you can do:

• wear safety gear and clothes in signal colors
  • have a good insurance
  • no alcohol when riding
  • avoid speeding
  • avoid riding in a hurry
  • keep your bike in good shape

The following things are all true somehow:

• get an instinct for dangerous situations
  • get a loud pipe
  • expect anything at anytime
  • look into the eyes of riders and look at the wheels of cars
  • practice harder to become a better rider

But they are also the most useless advices. There are reasons why such things are not taught when getting a driving license. And there are reasons why they are not relevant for the question of guilt smile.png

Just dont give up riding a bike that easily....

Second, it is an accident and can happen anywhere in this world.

A bit of a blase response.

It's just that it happens with 14 times' more frequency (with fatalities) here than in your (presumably) Western home country. Let the rider beware!

the comments about attaining eye contact with the other rider/driver as helping you out are dangerous because youre assuming you know what's in another human being's head. Vision and perception are two different things; they could be looking right through you while looking for cars behind you, thinking of an argument earlier in the day, blind drunk, or all of the above for that matter.

When you see eyes in your direction, take it as only a bit of comfort, but don't let your guard down by any means, and have an escape plan at the ready.

The famous Hurt Report [uCLA I believe], found that California Motorcycle Cops were as likely as civilian bikers to have cars turn in front of them or pull out from side roads, and the offending cage drivers all had the same story, even as they were looking in that direction: "I didnt see em!" It wasnt out of lack of respect for bikers tha cagers pulled out - theyre just not looking for/perceiving bikes, or bikes are harder to see in the urban visual field. The takeaways were Visual Conspicuity, Headlight ON 24/7, appropriate speed, adjust lane position for visibility & evasive action if necessary, and lastly, always have an escape plan for the what-if scenario.

This is the part i can't stand, it just ain't no fun at all to drive in fear some schmuck

is going to cut right in front of me without prior warning, but that is the reality

I agree, urban riding in LoS is Survival Work most of the time, and anything but relaxing. Whats that old saying, "IF YOU'RE NOT ALARMED, YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!" Sad, but true. tongue.png

This is the part i can't stand, it just ain't no fun at all to drive in fear some schmuck

is going to cut right in front of me without prior warning, but that is the reality

I agree, urban riding in LoS is Survival Work most of the time, and anything but relaxing. Whats that old saying, "IF YOU'RE NOT ALARMED, YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!" Sad, but true. tongue.png

I really do not want to ride my bikes here anymore, the fun has gone!! I have a car so not a problem, I have a lovely CBR 250 which I have spent a lot of money on, won't sell until I am absolutely sure I never want to ride a motorbike again!!

Just dont give up riding a bike that easily....

Second, it is an accident and can happen anywhere in this world.

A bit of a blase response.

It's just that it happens with 14 times' more frequency (with fatalities) here than in your (presumably) Western home country. Let the rider beware!

C'mon man.

The frequency of the accidents here might be14 times more than our countries but the number of bikes are 20 or 30 times more in Thailand so if you do a calculation i m sure the precentage of accidents per bike is less than our countries still - by the way please post here whereabouts of this statistic you mentionef so we can see as well.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by loserlazer

I really do not want to ride my bikes here anymore, the fun has gone!! I have a car so not a problem, I have a lovely CBR 250 which I have spent a lot of money on, won't sell until I am absolutely sure I never want to ride a motorbike again!!

How long ago, that the fun of riding a car on Phuket has gone? In special at school times, people dropping or picking up the kids?

Edited by noob7

Dogpoo dont listen others. It s not your fault. Just enjoy your nice cbr250.

I had some accidents in my life too here and before and i know it s psychologically hard - and painful:D - to ride a bike after the accident. You remember the accident for some days and feel bad. I know.

Time is your medicine here.

Just give yourself sometime and you will start to enjoy your bike again.:D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by loserlazer