Fortuner Broken Turbo, Advice?

nikster

^ thanks for the info Soundman

Now if anybody knows a good place to get this done in Chiang Mai, I am still looking. If I can't find a place, it'll have to be 50k to toyota :(

I don't know how broken our turbo is exactly, I didn't look at it and if I did I probably wouldn't know either, I know nothing about these things.

I know it cut out on the mountains, and since then it appears to work but it makes a high pitched sound, sort of like a siren. Not very loud, but clearly noticeable. Toyota "cleaned" it and it's still the same. Could very well be a broken bearing.

If a bearing had gone it will make a racket and Toyota would not clean it as a turbo bearing failure would be obvious to a mechanic.

..and you wouldn't be able to see the road behind you for the oil smoke.laugh.png

The turbo on my second hand XR4Ti gave out at about 350,000 kms.whistling.gif I bought a used one for $550 and fitted it myself.thumbsup.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

If it dosnt smoke, dosnt rattle,dosnt screech then there is probaly nothing wrong with the Turbo.

"makes a noise like a siren on a hill" you say, more likely an intercooler/pipe problem, you can check this yourself to a certain extent, the forced air goes from the turbo to the intercooler and then to the inlet manifold, along the way there is reinforced rubber pipes, check the joints for black marks [like feathers] and small puncture holes ect, if nothing found it could be the cooler rad,

The "professinal" way to check this is remove the rubber pipe feed into the engine, stuff some rag in start engine, rev and listen where noise is coming from.

Or fill plastic bottle with strong solution of washing up liquid and water, on a cold engine, spray this over the turbo and pipes and cooler, manifold ect, start and rev engine, check for bubbles at joints,,

• Like 1

Warn bearings can whistle a (relatively) long time before they go.

From memory, the turbo was loudly whirring and whistling for nearly 5000 km's before the engine management system finally put the car into crwal mode.

When we dismantled the turbo unit, the bearings were clearly stuffed, but not completely ceased.

From memory, the turbo was loudly whirring and whistling for nearly 5000 km's before the engine management system finally put the car into crwal mode.

When we dismantled the turbo unit, the bearings were clearly stuffed, but not completely ceased.

So if it aint broke dont fix it, dont do preventative maintainence, no sod that, lets break down in the middle of nowhere, very good move,yeah right!!!

So if it aint broke dont fix it, dont do preventative maintainence, no sod that, lets break down in the middle of nowhere, very good move,yeah right!!!

Not sure where that's coming from. No one has reccomended waiting until it goes south to service it.

You may well know more than most about turbo's, but apart from changing the engine oil, exactly what other preventative maintenance could/should be done on a variable vane turbo unit?

I would be really interested to know so the next time it comes to my attention, especially when someone else who does not know much about mechanics is driving the car, that an un-serviceable bearing starts going on the unit, I can do something in time to save it.

Fortuners and Vigos, have problems with there Turbos.......... Price this week is 38,400 net + what ever mark up the retailer charges... you may find a non Toyota garage will charge you less for the unit smaller mark up...........

If buying new be sure to keep the receipt safe, 6 weeks ago over 2,000 units were stolen

• Like 1

You may well know more than most about turbo's, but apart from changing the engine oil, exactly what other preventative maintenance could/should be done on a variable vane turbo unit?

I would be really interested to know so the next time it comes to my attention, especially when someone else who does not know much about mechanics is driving the car, that an un-serviceable bearing starts going on the unit, I can do something in time to save it.

Ok, i will tell you, on pre-intercooled big trucks, where an imminent bearing faliure can cause a lot of damage to the head/heads valves and pistons, it was a recommended service procedure to remove the turbo inlet pipe {from air filter] and check for lift in the spindle shaft, and for vane chafing on the body of the turbo, if there is no chafing, but a lot of spindle lift, i would place a socket and t-bar on the spindle nut and start engine, then test the spindle bearings with oil pressure, this test would be done every 6 weeks, approx 12k miles, of course im talking working big trucks here, and this test can be done on intercooled turbos, I hope that answers your question,

Personally i dont think the OP has any such problem, more likely an intercooler or pipe problem, but yes, go ahead and fit a new turbo, and still have the same problem, up to you.

Nik, did Mr.X identify what the problem with your turbo was and what caused it?

Our Fortuner is approaching 100,000 km and so far no problems. I'm hoping it continues that way but stories like yours are a worry.

I didn't ask him to be honest. For me it was good enough to know that the turbo (1) cut out (2) wasn't working well anymore, e.g. very little power, (3) was diagnosed by both Toyota and Mr. X as needing replacement and (4) made that strange whining noise.

If your turbo is fine, don't worry - it seems to break rather gradually, it doesn't just die and leave you stranded on the road.

I would, if I were you, follow the instruction in the Toyota User's Manual though - make sure the engine is running before you hit the gas seriously when it's cold - this allows the engine oil to flow into the turbo. And don't switch it off suddenly, allow it to cool down for 30 seconds or so. I have a turbo timer now that leaves the engine running for 30 seconds after you turn off the ignition so I never have to think about it. This is only when you come to a stop from riding the car hard - for example driving on the highway, pulling into the gas station and turning it off or something like that.

Mr. X did not think that sythetic oil made any difference he said it's better to change oil and oil filters frequently. But the Fortuner service interval at 10k ensures that anyway.