What 2Nd Hand Pick-Up Truck Suitable For Extremely Bad Dirt Roads - Around 200K

g00dgirl

To anyone who is familiar with the current used pick-up market and available models:

What would be a good make, model and year for 2nd hand pick-up truck around 200k THB?

Criteria:

Safe to drive condition

comfortable also on longer highway trips

Prefer double-cab

Suitable for very bad dirt roads

Reliable air-con

Would prefer automatic transmission

200K is not a lot of money for a used pickup - at that budget you might as well just take the first one you can find that seems to still run well / is still in one piece wink.png

You'll need to budget 300K and up to start picking and choosing..

Here's a link to pickups under 200K:

http://one2car.com/search/search_result.aspx?Price1=1&Price2=200000&Type=2&

Edit: revised link to exlcude "0 Baht" ads..

Edited by IMHO

It will be difficult to meet your criteria on a budget of 200k. Toyota and Isuzu are popular and carry a price premium, so at this price level they will be well worn.

Mitsubishi, Nissan, Ford or Mazda pickups are just as good and slightly cheaper in LOS. You may need to increase the budget or be flexible with the criteria.

For all of the pickup brands, Dual Cab Autos are more expensive new and therefore used values are higher as well.

The common rail turbo diesel versions are much better to drive on the highway but they are newer and cost more.

The older diesels with mechanical fuel injection are OK but less powerful, making them slow on the highway.

All of the major brands handle rough roads similarly, i.e. they are all bouncy without a load.

Good luck

2nd hand pick-up truck around 200k THB

Prefer double-cab

prefer automatic transmission

Wow not impossible but would need a lots of searching....

There will be no such things as Airbag or ABS....

Many older Auto truck have had an old 1JZ engine fitted with LPG....... so are you in an area with Gas ?

Pickups are a work horse, some older one have done many 100's of 1,000's of km..

Isuzu and Toyota are the most popular so more likely to find a 4 door Auto, but at 200k ? maybe a 1991 -93 Isuzu TFR, more likely in auto as a Station wagon. parts for interior or body on these or from TR bodies are VERY expensive..

You may find a Mitsubishi L200 Strada 1999/2000 model........ new parts are difficult to find, if you OK with 'copy' parts or 2nd hand part then fine may well be the best deal around.

I have seen a old Mazda Fighter 4 dr Auto, but 300k......... early Chevrolet 4 dr Auto are even more expensive, as are Toyota Tiger's

As an idea.... I change the pickup every 3 years with around 400,000+ km on the clock, last 3 have been the D-Max, and the high km appears to make no difference to the trade in price..... Thai friend in the same Business has the new model Eco-PWR 4dr Auto Nissan, top model with canopy cost 901,000 baht........ is for sale, looks as new, but on this last Sunday km reading 344,900 km and far less then 3 years old..

Happy hunting for an Auto model..........

I have a 1996 Nissan BigM 2.5TDi, 2 door extended cab, raised suspension, spaced big tyres.

Cost 150k, needed another 10k for repairs (mainly air-con and steering joints)

No problems with parts, one of the most popular older pickups in Thailand.

Works well, very tough, strong steel body.

Not 4 wheel drive and manual transmission.

You should give them a look.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

As an idea.... I change the pickup every 3 years with around 400,000+ km on the clock, last 3 have been the D-Max, and the high km appears to make no difference to the trade in price..... Thai friend in the same Business has the new model Eco-PWR 4dr Auto Nissan, top model with canopy cost 901,000 baht........ is for sale, looks as new, but on this last Sunday km reading 344,900 km and far less then 3 years old..

Happy hunting for an Auto model..........

You are doing more km's pr month than I do in a year, lol. You must be spending a lot of hours behind the wheel everyday.

Yes I agree with other posters, up you budget to 3-400k bath if possible.

Quick question, why a 4 door ? why a Pickup ? 2 door pickup your saying money on road Tax, but not on a 4 door..

There are a number of 4x4's. diesel, petrol and gas conversions about from around 180 - 250 k = 4 doors + Auto + good for tracks and bad roads..

CRV and Landrovers are 300 k + Jeep price is right but petrol 4 lt motor !! but 180 - 250 k any of the ones below are here

post-42643-0-66054300-1353456725_thumb.j

post-42643-0-54572900-1353456758_thumb.j

post-42643-0-82630400-1353456799_thumb.j

post-42643-0-31772800-1353456827_thumb.j

post-42643-0-05740600-1353456857_thumb.j

Can't find a picture

http://www.one2car.com/MITSUBISHI_PAJERO/G27540131

someone in my Village has one, he bought last year Private for 245 k