Brakes On Rental Bikes/scooters.

RogueLeader

This is something I've been wondering about for some time: the brakes on rental motorbikes in Thailand always seem incredibly soft. I know maintenance isn't the first priority of most rental shops, but it seems that they're universally mushy and unresponsive.

Is there a reason for this?

Edited by RogueLeader

No idea, but whenever I need to rent a Bike (when out on Travels for example) I go to a MB shop and gladly pay 100 or 200 THB to check the Bike which include among other things, brake, Chain, Tyre Pressure, oil level etc etc

Just in case !

• Like 1

Quite easy to inspect by checking the discs for grooves. If grooved the linings won’t be grabbing the entire disc when brake is applied.

Inspect the disc pads and if OK adjust the brake on the handlebar, this usually takes out the sponginess in the front disc/discs.

Rear brake if disc the same applies as the front.

If drum, adjust by lifting the bike up on the rear stand and tighten the brake up until the rear wheel won’t spin. Then back off until the wheel spins freely and the brake is not grabbing the drum.

This is basic maintenance for a hire bike as they dont get much if any maintenance, or serviceing done on them.

• Like 1

Quite easy to inspect by checking the discs for grooves. If grooved the linings won’t be grabbing the entire disc when brake is applied.

Inspect the disc pads and if OK adjust the brake on the handlebar, this usually takes out the sponginess in the front disc/discs.

Rear brake if disc the same applies as the front.

If drum, adjust by lifting the bike up on the rear stand and tighten the brake up until the rear wheel won’t spin. Then back off until the wheel spins freely and the brake is not grabbing the drum.

This is basic maintenance for a hire bike as they dont get much if any maintenance, or serviceing done on them.

Yeah, I know how to do that - I used to ride a scooter when I was a teenager and have done all sorts of maintenance. I'll try pretty much anything that doesn't involve disassembling the clutch. But I just wondered whether there was a reason that the brakes on hire bikes were all so spongy.

Could be very old brake fluid..it's hydroscopic which means it can absorb water (unless a silicone based fluid). My guess is it is poor maintenance and old rubber brake lines which expand under pressure. When bikes are left out in the sun, the black rubber brake lines are affected by UV rays and deteriorate. Just a thought.