Any Other "alternative Lifestyle" Members Here..?

ChrisP

Hi..

I'm a new member here... I LOVE the variety, wit and sheer information that I find here.

Oh, and btw, I'm gay.

There are several Web Sites that "specialize" in Thailand/Gay issues.. but they don't have the vibrancy of discussion that I find here.

Are there any other members here also playing on my team..? (I know some people may not waish to be "identified" in such a manner... but I hope some will be comfortable enough to do so....) :-)

I DO believe that we have MANY of the same issues to deal with.. cultural, expectations, etc etc...

I sincerely hope that this site can be accepting of all lifestyles..

Cheers

Chris

Hi..

I'm a new member here... I LOVE the variety, wit and sheer information that I find here.

Oh, and btw, I'm gay.

There are several Web Sites that "specialize" in Thailand/Gay issues.. but they don't have the vibrancy of discussion that I find here.

Are there any other members here also playing on my team..? (I know some people may not waish to be "identified" in such a manner... but I hope some will be comfortable enough to do so....) :-)

I DO believe that we have MANY of the same issues to deal with.. cultural, expectations, etc etc...

I sincerely hope that this site can be accepting of all lifestyles..

Cheers

Chris

Chris

Its good to see you here and I hope u gets some positive responses however from what I have seen so far I doubt it. Most of the contributors I have encountered tend to be redneck smart-<deleted> spinning cute one liners (or so they think) or lengthy diatribes espousing their own deep rooted prejudices. Whilst some posts are obvious 'wind ups' my guess is the authors real views are not not far away. Other gay members? - a passing resemblance to Oscar Wilde is here somewhere.

Good luck, you will need it.

Guest IT Manager

I agree with Maverick,

This site isn't about sexuality, gender definiton, or personal politics. It's about people. There are rednecks here who hate poofs, there are also poofs who hate almost everything.

Your input is appreciated as a person, not as an "alternative lifestyler". It really doesn't matter. It's about you as a person, not you as a sexual adventure in Thailand. If you see yourself as a loud-hailer for homosexuality in thaivisa, you will last a day and go. The place has a lot of folks who would/do identify with you. Whether they would jump up and say "ooooh me toooo" is a matter of opinion. In mine, it won't happen.

So... forget the libertarian rubbish from Melbourne Grammar, Eton and West Point. Come in here express yourself and enjoy, but not as a sexual identity, rather, as a person.

But... If you are the chap in the 4" glass heels in the bar last night, that tank top did not go with your handbag.

:o

We could maybe do a forum branch "Gays in Thailand", let me revert to you about this issue later, as I will be travelling for a few days. We would need a moderator/admin for that branch, as I am not personally challenged to do it. Please PM me for any ideas how this could be setup and managed.

So... forget the libertarian rubbish from Melbourne Grammar, Eton and West Point. Come in here express yourself and enjoy, but not as a sexual identity, rather, as a person.

As ###### said, everybody expresses him/herself as he sees fit. I am sure that the people participating in this forum have all kinds of preferences, sexual and others, but I have never seen it as a problem.

Do you?

ChrisP (said in the deepest voice possible :o ), I think this country is more tolerant than any other country I have been to. There are quite a few people living in Phuket with an "alternative lifestyle", I have also been told, the gay market is big business down here - so although I dont know of any places on the web, I can say the Paradise centre in Patong, is probably where you will find the people "playing on your team". Good Luck mate!

MANY thanks for your thoughts (and support/acceptance).. gentlemen all :D

I'm definitely not a "loud-hailer for homosexuality"... although I do believe in equality... (I've been "identified" both ways during my lifetime) My interest in many of the posts here stems from the sheer parallel nature of the situations I find myself in... For example, the discussions on the pro's and con's of having a Thai Girlfriend (and a Thai Boyfriend), and finding a soul-mate/wife (and husband) in Thailand are very similar in both lifestyles..

I think the Thai character (which I'm just beginning to try and understand and get to grips with ..) runs strongly through both sexes.. [and for both good and bad things too!!].

I've found Thailand to be a beautiful, and truly fascinating and frustrating place.. but TOTALLY unique. I like that. In the long-term I'm planning to retire to Thailand.. as soon as my Pension Plan will allow it!... so learning and hearing from you all (even though I'm in Los Angeles) is almost like being there!

George - I'd certainly welcome a "Gay in Thailand" section of the forum... Going on the fact that (at least) 10% of the population is gay.. AND Thailand is MUCH more accepting of gay people - and gay business is BIG - than many other countries (I've already met my bf's parents.. and they're completely happy with the situation) there's probably WIDE readership waiting to happen here! :D

And yes.. before someone says it - the family is probably more than happy that he's met a nice "farang".. with an income!. LOL :o

Oh, and IT Man, it wasn't me with the glass heels and the tank-top... but I DID see him, and gave him some fashion tips. :D

Cheers!

ChrisP.

Guest The Judge

I saw him too. Funny that.

My boyfriends family are very accepting as well which is great.

I agree about the parallels in the two lifestyles. I don't have a lot of gay friends, I just have friends, both Thai and foreign, though I guess I prefer the Thai ones, since I never even get asked about my/our relationship. It just is.

I really like this forum a lot. Sometimes people say silly things and sometimes hurtful stuff, but I'm afraid it just washes over me now.

dave69rock, it is a great website isn't it?

We all hope you can drop in and add to this site with your own views, experiences and comments as often as you can.

I personally look forward to your next post.

Feel free to start a topic, or just hang around and see what the rest of us have to say.

Cheers! :o

Guest The Judge

I suspect the answer to the orignial question is YES, resoundingly.

Further I am pleased that there is so much positive reaction to the topic. It makes me feel quite good.

Guest The Judge
dave69rock, it is a great website isn't it?

We all hope you can drop in and add to this site with your own views, experiences and comments as often as you can.

I personally look forward to your next post.

Feel free to start a topic, or just hang around and see what the rest of us have to say.

Cheers! :o

Tukyleith I think I am beginning to see why IT likes you. Maybe I can come visit sometime. Your father in law looks quite nice. :D What you think?

IT, you created a "gay" forum before I was able to put in my "two bits" that perhaps why this forum is so "vibrant" is there are straights adding their imput.

There are plenty of gay chat rooms for those who want that. Suffice to say, thaivisa.com is an information exchange forum where we come to learn about everything, and that includes gays in Thailand and how they get along. But a forum that is "for" gays in Thailand would be no more illuminating than Gay.com/Bangkok.

Hi Judge,

It is true, IT has a "soft" spot for me, but to be honest I do not think it is because of my attitude or may father in law but rather my money :D

Feel free to visit, lets arrange it for when IT is visiting too, did you know his wife is away working just now?

When the cats away...

maybe you two will get along? :D

wrt my father in law, he has a great smy doesn't he?

but personally I prefer his belly, it is all I can do sometimes to stop myself from rubbing it for good luck :o

Besides Judge I think he is taken :D

mrentoul, I read mrmnp as saying that it is a good thing that this forum is open to people with both sexual preferences.

Otherwise how would we ban gay people from the rest of the site? :D

mrentoul, I read mrmnp as saying that it is a good thing that this forum is open to people with both sexual preferences.

Of course she's saying that. I am not completely dim.

What's that about stomachs?

apologies mrentoul, was just creating an opening for my final comment, no harm intended.

wrt the stomach, My father in law reminds me of one of the versions of a buddha statue, cross legged with a prosperous looking belly. I am sure there is a myth going around that if you rub the buddhas tummy you will receive good luck.

just pointless drivel, never mind me.

Hotei, also known as the Laughing Buddha.

The name Hotei actually means "cloth bag" or "glutton."  A legend has it that if a person is to rub his belly, it brings forth wealth, good luck, and prosperity. 

Merentoul, the more gays the better! The more straights the better! I refer to IT's post earlier as to what should be the approach to this "people" forum.

I am not aware of many forums that cater to gay and straight alike. I think it can be nothing but good. Straights learn about gay issues from gays and gays have a chance to elighten straights when they go adrift.

I certainly would go to a gay in the forum as the expert on gay issues, but would look to married straights for authority on marriage, unless the gay had been "married for years in a committed open relationshp" and then I would doubt they would differ much in their opinions.

Certainly either orientation would be expert if long associated with a Thai and their imput would be especially relevent to this forum. I must be carefull of sweeping generalities!

P.S. The use of "she" when refering to a male, in my experience, is a form of speech used exclusively by gays. Do you agree?

Straights learn about gay issues from gays and gays have a chance to elighten straights when they go adrift. 

Adrift? Rudderless? You think we are astray on the Sargasso Sea of heterosexuality , sadly in need of wind and direction? :o

Jeepz

Jeepz, ah the imperfect meaning of my words gets me in trouble again! My view is this forum is an ideal place for polarized ideas on either side of an issue to be ameliorated.

On one side, there are gays who have been stigmatized to the point that they strike out on the slightest provocation and there are straights who react to gays based on fear, ignorance or bigotry. Both sides, "go astray" I believe, from what should be a centrists approach to issues.

Your discussions in the gay marriage thread is an ideal example of what I call the "centrist" or rational approach to an issue and my hope is that this forum will bring both gays and straights together in harmony.

P.S. The use of "she" when refering to a male, in my experience, is a form of speech used exclusively by gays. Do you agree?

mrmnp... First, thanks for your input here! I've read several of your posts in other sections, and always found them to be thoughtful, incisive and balanced. :D

I've never heard a str8 man refer to a male as "she"... but gays do it often.. referring to a male who is acting in a "somewhat effeminate" manner.. either deliberately, or as a natural function. The "she" is also meant to be taken in a slightly "tongue-in-cheek" manner... :o

Cheers

Chris P.