Makro Pattaya,what's Going On

jbrain

Please note that Makro Pattaya is a cash & carry, with far less products than the big makro branches such as Rayong !

I didn't know there was any difference and I thought they were all C&C. I will call into the Rayong one to see next time I'm down that way.

You are correct, all same business model. Personally have not noticed an enormous difference between Rayong and Pattaya, although use Rayong much more often ( as nearby).

Have also used Chonburi, again same.

If you do not have a Makro card just ask at info desk for a day pass (no cost or id required), if you do not get and dont have card the checkout person will usually just enter her number.

Just a note for anyone going for the first time, they do not supply bags to put your purchases in.

Another observation, I've found the checkout personnel to be very efficient in scanning through a trolley full of goods and when they give change they do not count and recount the amount 5 or 6 times.

Pattaya is a difficult market,

when there are promotion actions of one of the major supermarket chains,

and one product would cause serious problems to a well established local company,

who is offering it to a higher price, and have a big stock,

something is happened.

The pattaya branch of the supermarket is only offering 3 or 5 items of this product,

and is sell out in minutes.

I think, the manager of makro got a visit, and realised, that it is not good for him,

to have certain products with cheap prices in his programm.

Pattaya is a protected market.

I am interested to know why you think Pattaya is a more difficult market then any other city with a complete range of competing supermarkets - and protected from who or what?

first of all, we have to accept, that thailand has a protected domestic market,

certain products have a pricelevel, that is not connected with the international pricelevel.

Lets take for example a certain Gigabyte router,

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B002YLAUU8

you won`t find this router in Thailand below

http://www.shoptplin...bit-Router.html

so whats the problem ?

I think, it has to do with the stock management of old technology router in Thailand,

so, there is an understanding, to offer new technology router on a high price level,

and you will not find a dealer, who is going his own way, concerning the pricemanagement of a new tech router.

In tourist zones, like Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, you will find, that certain products are on a higher pricelevel,

than you find them in the shops for example Bangkok.

When I had a house insurance case, the loss adjuster told me, that certain prices, I paid, he could not accept the refund on the same pricelevel,

cause the market price is much lower.

So I had the chance, to learn about the real market prices in Thailand.

I can`t tell you the reason, why products are sold in tourist areas, in domestic shop chains, over market prices,

but wait till you got your next insurance case, and you know about the real value of your belongings. rolleyes.gif

Edited by DisainaM

and one product would cause serious problems to a well established local company,

something is happened.

The pattaya branch of the supermarket is only offering 3 or 5 items of this product,

I think, the manager of makro got a visit, and realised, that it is not good for him,

I am interested to know why you think Pattaya is a more difficult market then any other city with a complete range of competing supermarkets - and protected from who or what?

certain products have a pricelevel, that is not connected with the international pricelevel.

so whats the problem ?

I think, it has to do with the stock management of old technology router in Thailand,

so, there is an understanding, to offer new technology router on a high price level,

and you will not find a dealer, who is going his own way, concerning the pricemanagement of a new tech router.

In tourist zones, like Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, you will find, that certain products are on a higher pricelevel,

When I had a house insurance case, the loss adjuster told me, that certain prices, I paid, he could not accept the refund on the same pricelevel,

I can`t tell you the reason, why products are sold in tourist areas, in domestic shop chains, over market prices,

but wait till you got your next insurance case, and you know about the real value of your belongings. rolleyes.gif

That's an interesting explanation but has absolutely zero relevance to the OPs original question and your answer IMO.

Bottled water and tinned food aren't routers or in any way equivalent coffee1.gif

something is happened.

so whats the problem ?

That's an interesting explanation but has absolutely zero relevance to the OPs original question and your answer IMO.

Bottled water and tinned food aren't routers or in any way equivalent coffee1.gif

well, it has to do with the problems,

that a local dealer will not break the prices of other local established dealers,

thats the reason, they took products out of the line, when they can`t increase the local selling price,

based on company management.

for ex.

HomeWorks Pattaya is offering only in Pattaya PAT Products on 40% higher level,

than HomeWorks Bangkok, oder Pat in Bangkok,

http://www.026916789.com/

so,

HomeWorks Pattaya has the possibility, to make individual prices in Pattaya.

I think, marko Pattaya doesn`t have this possibility, based on company management, so the took problematic items out of the selling line.

well, it has to do with the problems,

that a local dealer will not break the prices of other local established dealers,

thats the reason, they took products out of the line, when they can`t increase the local selling price,

based on company management.

for ex.

HomeWorks Pattaya is offering only in Pattaya PAT Products on 40% higher level,

than HomeWorks Bangkok, oder Pat in Bangkok,

http://www.026916789.com/

so,

HomeWorks Pattaya has the possibility, to make individual prices in Pattaya.

I think, marko Pattaya doesn`t have this possibility, based on company management, so the took problematic items out of the selling line.

The link you provide is for a brochure of a year end sale of PAT.

Where does it say that Homeworks Pattaya offers these items at a 40% premium to Homeworks Bangkok ?

The guy who ran it when it opened also opened the Samui one, John i think is his name. he seems to open them get them up and running then move on. Same thing happened there, went straight down hill. Gave up with Makro as well as product problems it was play find the open isle game all the time, always blocked with pallets or fork lifts. Same old story when a farang has run a place and it gets handed over to a local.

Now i use the tesco Lotus just down the road, often prices similar.

I think above is the most logical explanation to the problem.

The Thai manager knowing everything better and not adhere to Makro's rules of stock management.

Please note that Makro Pattaya is a cash & carry, with far less products than the big makro branches such as Rayong !

Ahumm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makro

Makro is a (originally) Dutch chain of Warehouse clubs, also called cash and carries.

Type: Private

Industry: Cash and Carry

So Rayong is also cash & carry as its the same concept.

Edited by MJCM

I visited Makro Pattaya this evening and I can confirm that they didn't read this thread, or it must be that they are that stubborn . smile.png

Respectfully, I think if you had put as much effort into actually contacting Makro and letting them know about your issues as you have debating it on this forum then I'm sure you would be closer to having answers. No offence intended, just sometimes you need to take real action and not be content to moan about it in the hope that their CEO or whoever will read a thread they don't know exists. If, after you have wrote to them and they have not answered or gave an unsatisfactory reply then by all means go ahead and moan all you want, I'll even join in!

Sent from my out of stock GT-19300T

Makro Pattaya is smaller than BigC or Tesco on Sukhumvit, so they probably restrict variety in favour of bestsellers. Makro is also a smaller corporation, might not have as many suppliers as the large chains. I noticed recently that BigC started to sell many items cheaper than Makro.