What Do I Do With The 20 Pounds Of Small Thai Coins I Have Accrued?

KirillStorch

ok shrapnel, you got me.

when a shell explodes the metal bits that fly off and kill people are known as shrapnel. Pom or Limey thing depending where your from.

shrapnel [ˈʃræpnəl]

n

1. (Military)

a. a projectile containing a number of small pellets or bullets exploded before impact

b. such projectiles collectively

2. (Military) fragments from this or any other type of shell

[named after H. Shrapnel (1761-1842), English army officer, who invented it]

Edited by marstons

Hmmm 12k baht is considerably more than 20 GBP so obviously not. Maybe some odd coins though.

Any coin less than 10 baht is shracknell in my reckoning and can help those less fortunate.

I agree with t sentiment but most are from Cambodia and dont get to keep the proceeds, so look at it like your giving it to scum bag who is the boss and takes it off them at the end of the night.

Thanks Marstons. Maybe I'm getting soft in my later years (I'm 50 next month) but I do feel a bit privileged in my life when I see some of the young mothers sat on the floor with young ones on Second Rd late at night. Anyway, looking forward to another three week mission in Patts in January (I think number #16 ! )

Thanks Marstons. Maybe I'm getting soft in my later years (I'm 50 next month) but I do feel a bit privileged in my life when I see some of the young mothers sat on the floor with young ones on Second Rd late at night. Anyway, looking forward to another three week mission in Patts in January (I think number #16 ! )

Those mothers you see sitting on the streets are working for a syndicate. The babies might not even be theirs.

If you truly want to help children that need it, Look at the 2nd post where I gave the information for the pattaya orphanage. They are a decent and well run outfit and are responsible for taking care (food, education,living expenses) for many many children that might otherwise be without a home.

If i had this problem I would walk around town with it and give away every coin to the street beggars and afterwards feel good about what i have just done.

My last "coin" amount totalled 12k, would you give 12 x 1,000 notes away ?

Whit out hesitation. I've been married to a Thai woman.

You clearly don't place much value on your time if you've taken the trouble to count these coins which amount to such a small amount.

Give them gradually away to beggars in and around town. Put a smile on their face and make a difference.

You may even feel better yourself.

This is the best suggestion yet!!!!

I told my missus if she counted mine she could have half (was thinking it might be a 1000 or 3), turns out I had just over 12,000....... grrrr at giving her 6k, she took it to the bank and swapped it for real money.

12.000 and that is not taken in account the 3000 she cheated you while counting. biggrin.png

Was that comment really neccessary. I think not. You know his wife?

I know her. If you want some photos, please page me.

Hmmm 12k baht is considerably more than 20 GBP so obviously not. Maybe some odd coins though.

Any coin less than 10 baht is shracknell in my reckoning and can help those less fortunate.

12k baht is a lot for us retired folks living here. 30 baht buys me lunch everyday on boukow. A few coins is all. Quite filling too.

For those of you in the USA, many grocery stores have those machines that count the coins. Most charge a large 8.9% fee! They give you a receipt and you get cash from the checkout clerk. However, I was surprised that one store (Albertson's) actually does NOT charge the fee if you get the money in the form of a store debit card that you can only use in that store. That's OK. I often shop there anyway. I did check the same day and the exact same coin machine in another grocery chain did NOT give the shopping card no fee option.

Similarly off-topic, but in the UK, I find mydelf grabbing a handful on the way out when I'm going to Tesco, and I use the self-service till. Just drop the coins in, no need to count it, and if it doesn't quite cover the purchase, use the debit card for the rest. The pile of coins disappears fairly quickly that way.

In Thailand, I used to keep the 1s and up in the car for using at tolls (they don't like the 25 and 50 satangs), but since we got easypass, I will admit the coins do build up until I palm them off on the kids, and even the kids don't want the 25 and 50 satangs..

I find it tough to say no but picture the whiskey swiging scum bag that takes the money off them, then it comes easier to say no.There is one kid i always give 20 baht to, i know she has a minder, she is Cambodian but at least she gets the presssure off a bit if she gets more money. I once saw a bitch in Samui who ran a gang of Cambodian kids pinch a toddler hard then push it back into the pack of tourists sobbing to get more money. Even sicker that the police turn a blind eye for reasons that dont need to be stated.

So better stay on topic and state bag mine up and use at 7/11, although song taows and 5 baht toilets keep it down.

I told my missus if she counted mine she could have half (was thinking it might be a 1000 or 3), turns out I had just over 12,000....... grrrr at giving her 6k, she took it to the bank and swapped it for real money.

12.000 and that is not taken in account the 3000 she cheated you while counting. biggrin.png

Was that comment really neccessary. I think not. You know his wife?

I know her. If you want some photos, please page me.

Considering I divorced my wife nearly 15 years ago I would like some updated pics just to see how she has weathered.

ok shrapnel, you got me.

when a shell explodes the metal bits that fly off and kill people are known as shrapnel. Pom or Limey thing depending where your from.

shrapnel [ˈʃræpnəl]

n

1. (Military)

a. a projectile containing a number of small pellets or bullets exploded before impact

b. such projectiles collectively

2. (Military) fragments from this or any other type of shell

[named after H. Shrapnel (1761-1842), English army officer, who invented it]

On that note why not consider donating to the Poppy Appeal?