Govt Enforces Internal Security Act For Nine Days In Heart Of Bangkok

webfact

What is this 23,000 civilian volunteers?

The police themselves have no training in crowd control, how will they additionally manage 150% of their own number?

Who is to tell if these 23,000 are neutral?

Were they recently selected? By whom?

This whole event is disconcerting

The private police volunteers will be the red shirt thugs. They will be rehearsing at a rally in Udon Thani the day before.

Rehearsing out on the shooting range I expect.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Protestors? When drivers, maids and out of town folks attend to get fed and paid to attend, isnt that called temporary employment, moonlighting?

Well my wife and half my staff goes there....everyone living in Bangkok and most of them are good paid technician.....

ANTI-GOVERNMENT DEMOSTRATION

Abhisit slams gov't handling of rally

The Nation

30194826-01_big.jpg

File photo : Abhisit

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Thursday that he was confused by the government's extreme reaction to Saturday's planned mass rally in Bangkok.

Abhisit, a former prime minister, said the government was over-portraying the rally at the Royal Plaza as being frightening and full of violence.

"I am very confused by the government's handling of the rally because if the protest is peaceful and without weapons and violence, the government should facilitate it, as the people have a right to demonstrate in a democracy.

The authorities concerned should also ask for cooperation from the protesters and their leader to conduct the rally in line with the law.

But instead they have repeatedly claimed there will be violence and terrible confrontations. Such claims can only lead to unnecessary tensions and conflicts, Abhisit said, adding that he expects to see the government adjust its attitude towards the rally.

The government on Thursday invokes the Internal Security Act in three Bangkok districts for nine days, starting today, in preparation for Saturday's rally.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 22

• Like 1

How can you be confused Abhisit ?? You know what you have done some year's ago you stand behind one of the worst violence in Thai history !!!

The ISA was not enforced prior to the red shirt rally but only after the police did not do their job & perhaps even facilitated the influx of people with weapons & gasoline. And then there was Samak (a recent puppet PM) back in the 70s as interior minister who managed to make the army believe the student protesters were communist insurgents which led to a huge number of deaths.

Edited by Valentine
  • Like 1

How can you be confused Abhisit ?? You know what you have done some year's ago you stand behind one of the worst violence in Thai history !!!

Oh you mean the violence of sending in troops to battle protestors who were packing assault rifles and grenade launchers?

• Like 2

The ISA was not enforced prior to the red shirt rally but only after the police did not do their job & perhaps even facilitated the influx of people with weapons & gasoline. And then there was Samak (a recent puppet PM) back in the 70s as interior minister who managed to make the army believe the student protesters were communist insurgents which led to a huge number of deaths.

Are you sure???

On 25 August 2009, the Thai Cabinet approved the use of Thailand’s Internal Security Act B.E. 2551 (2008) in the area of Dusit District of Bangkok to be effective from 29 August to 1 September 2009, in light of the demonstrations set to take place on 30 August.

• The Government has deemed it necessary to invoke the Internal Security Act in this case because based on the reports from intelligence and security agencies, there are possibilities that the demonstrations could be prolonged, and that a third party may seek to instigate unrest or escalate the situation, which would then affect peace and security of the country.

http://www.thaiembas...-district-bangk

• Like 2

What is this 23,000 civilian volunteers?

The police themselves have no training in crowd control, how will they additionally manage 150% of their own number?

Who is to tell if these 23,000 are neutral?

Were they recently selected? By whom?

This whole event is disconcerting

The private police volunteers will be the red shirt thugs. They will be rehearsing at a rally in Udon Thani the day before.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. In any case, quite ominous all this...

What will be most interesting here is whether the gov't will mobilize the red shirt thugs to attack the crowd ("23,000 civilians" aiding the police, what's that all about?), the way Mubarak did with the protesters in Egypt. If that happens, you know the country is in really serious trouble.

Edited by badmedicine
  • Like 1

"I am very confused by the government's handling of the rally because if the protest is peaceful and without weapons and violence, the government should facilitate it, as the people have a right to demonstrate in a democracy."

...just how do you know that, before the rally even started?

And yes, they have the right to demonstrate, even if at least one (if not more ) of the organizers are calling for undemocratic measures!

Well, if it gives the police the instant right to do things like block roads instantly, etc, it may actually facilitate stopping the whole thing turning into a massive confrontation. The whole 20k+ volunteers rubbish is very worrying though, although, if 90% of the capitals coppers are going to be devoted to managing this event, I guess they need someone back at the station to count the daily takings.

Lets just hope to hell it doesn't turn into a running battle down there. Have the protest, go home, point made, please, or alternatively, tanks on the streets by Tuesday. Yawn.....

The "in" fighting of Thai politics is not going to go away, but if we can minimize human casualties during these events, i would be pleased. I am Falang, I live here, and plan to continue to so. I do not possess

the recipe for success here, but Thailand is a young democracy and will struggle for some years yet. Freedom is never free, lets hope the costs are low here.

• Like 1

I don't think it was meant that way, but Abhisit is responsible a bit, because if he would have cleaned out the police from the beginning and fire the police boss on the second day of not following his orders (or even better reinstall the police boss Samak kicked out) than it could have been less violent alone by cutting the money flow from the beginning.

The government's handling of the protest was in complete disregard of established procedures, which include tanks and live ammo fire.

Well...maybe it was!

But the crux was, letting the Reds settle and make camp!

I understand, that the police (rather on "red" side of things) wasn't very helpful.

That, by the way, being IMHO the biggest scandal of the whole thing!

I was reading in another English language paper that the police chief said ISA was being enforced partly due to a credible plot the kidnap the PM. The cynic in me says this is a way out so she does not have to face questions in the censure, IE stay home under police guard.

• Like 2

The government's handling of the protest was in complete disregard of established procedures, which include tanks and live ammo fire.

Well...maybe it was!

I understand, that the police (rather on "red" side of things) wasn't very helpful.

That is the first thing that should be a no, no for these protests. No permenant structures.

Well...maybe it was!

Right on DocN. Khun A. should have had the protestors removed immediately. But hind sight is always better. Maybe he thought he could count on the police I don't know but we know now. Hopefuly all have attended the "lessons learned class" and the next time a mob starts setting up in the streets just simply disperse them.