Govt Enforces Internal Security Act For Nine Days In Heart Of Bangkok

webfact

Thanks.

So nothing additional to justify the U-Turn from 48 hours ago in which imposing the ISA was "categorically rejected" by her government.

Seems rather odd that there wasn't some dramatic development for them to justify the dramatic change in their stated actions.

The same way the Red Shirt leader just a few days ago confirm that in NO WAY WOULD THE RED SHIRTS GATHER AND DEMONSTRATE DURING THIS RALLYE /// BUT NOW THEY ARE SAYING THEY WILL BE THERE ...??

Adding to the hub of U-Turns on the subject...

From the Yingluck sidelined thread...

Chalerm led mini-cabinet tasked with tackling protest

The government is preparing to cope with a mass rally this Saturday at the Royal Plaza, not far from Government House and Parliament.

Its main goal appears to be the keeping of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra away from possible legal problems should the crowd-control effort turn violent.

A "mini-Cabinet" has been set up, consisting of nine Cabinet members and is headed by first Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung.

Whatever happened to what Yingluck was saying just 3 weeks ago???....

Posted 2012-11-03

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has decided to personally take on the challenge of security matters, especially as several men in the Cabinet have failed to handle the issue successfully.

http://www.thaivisa....curity-matters/

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANTI-GOVERNMENT DEMOSTRATION

Abhisit slams gov't handling of rally

The Nation

30194826-01_big.jpg

File photo : Abhisit

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Thursday that he was confused by the government's extreme reaction to Saturday's planned mass rally in Bangkok.

Abhisit, a former prime minister, said the government was over-portraying the rally at the Royal Plaza as being frightening and full of violence.

"I am very confused by the government's handling of the rally because if the protest is peaceful and without weapons and violence, the government should facilitate it, as the people have a right to demonstrate in a democracy.

The authorities concerned should also ask for cooperation from the protesters and their leader to conduct the rally in line with the law.

But instead they have repeatedly claimed there will be violence and terrible confrontations. Such claims can only lead to unnecessary tensions and conflicts, Abhisit said, adding that he expects to see the government adjust its attitude towards the rally.

The government on Thursday invokes the Internal Security Act in three Bangkok districts for nine days, starting today, in preparation for Saturday's rally.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 22

if ever there was proof needed that abhisit is turning into a joke, it's an article such as this.

i'm sure most informed people will be aware of abhisits comments pre-red rallies.

what an absolute hypocrite.

him and thaksin both, hypocritical.

Edited by nurofiend
  • Like 1

< Unnecessary disparaging remarks directed at the PM have been removed >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66WrU_PQUo

to quote philw's on-topic question to you buchholz

"is it acceptable to you that a retired general calls for a coup against an elected government ??"

yes or no?

is it too difficult for you to answer just in case it comes back to bite?... it's a fair, on-topic question and if you don't want to answer it just say so, because ignoring it just looks worse.

this isn't baiting, this is asking your opinion on something that either you haven't noticed has been asked or you are ignoring, and i'm interested as to the why.

i'll tell you my answer, it's no.

" .... He said 23,000 civilian volunteers will also be on standby at 192 Bangkok police stations. ...."

Are they going to wear red or black shirts?

Probably wear yellow and cause trouble, so as to blame them wink.png

yeah, and of course we all know that anyone who caused trouble in 2010 was really a member of pad with a red shirt on instead... rolleyes.gif

i know you wink.png'd but i've seen posters here coming up with excuses already before the event has even occured (just in case i suppose)

it's true that with the way the groups are visibly divided by colour (to an extent, for the pedants out there) that one would only need to put on a yellow or a red shirt, hide their face and throw a petrol bomb.

however, if there is trouble and obviously most on here hope there won't be, but if there is and we see members of PS throwing bricks or fireworks or whatever and posters start saying they are red shirts in disguise then they better apply that same suspicion in vice versa to events in 2010 as well.

hopefully nothing will come of it, as it can only lead to violence in the end.

So this is your alibi in advance.

Perhaps you know some thing we don't.

Is there a difference between a red shirt and a PT they both work for the same boss. I will give you two clues

clue #1 he

clue #2 lives in Dubai

The Nation

30194826-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Thursday that he was confused by the government's extreme reaction to Saturday's planned mass rally in Bangkok.

Abhisit, a former prime minister, said the government was over-portraying the rally at the Royal Plaza as being frightening and full of violence.

"I am very confused by the government's handling of the rally because if the protest is peaceful and without weapons and violence, the government should facilitate it, as the people have a right to demonstrate in a democracy.

The authorities concerned should also ask for cooperation from the protesters and their leader to conduct the rally in line with the law.

But instead they have repeatedly claimed there will be violence and terrible confrontations. Such claims can only lead to unnecessary tensions and conflicts, Abhisit said, adding that he expects to see the government adjust its attitude towards the rally.

The government on Thursday invokes the Internal Security Act in three Bangkok districts for nine days, starting today, in preparation for Saturday's rally.

nationlogo.jpg

if ever there was proof needed that abhisit is turning into a joke, it's an article such as this.

i'm sure most informed people will be aware of abhisits comments pre-red rallies.

No I am not informed please inform me.

I see you are against hypocrisy so I am sure you will gladly post his statements then as I see you have no problem posting his statements now.

By the way I failed to see where you have disagreed with his statements today. I take that to mean he has hit the nail right on the head.

• Like 1

"is it acceptable to you that a retired general calls for a coup against an elected government ??"

yes or no?

is it too difficult for you to answer just in case it comes back to bite?... it's a fair, on-topic question and if you don't want to answer it just say so, because ignoring it just looks worse.

this isn't baiting, this is asking your opinion on something that either you haven't noticed has been asked or you are ignoring, and i'm interested as to the why.

To me it is not a yes/no question as my reply depends on context. That is why I asked him for some specificity of quote.He failed to reply to that request and instead just repeated the question, in and around his repeated inflammatory sniping.

If you wish to be his advocate and provide some substance to his question, I'll check back in the AM.

• Like 1

yes or no?

If he did indeed call for a coup I would have to agree with you. We all know this government is sh/t but it is not that bad. I would have to see the statement in it's entirety to see if that is indeed what was said or just taken out of context.

" .... He said 23,000 civilian volunteers will also be on standby at 192 Bangkok police stations. ...."

Are they going to wear red or black shirts?

Probably wear yellow and cause trouble, so as to blame them wink.png

yeah, and of course we all know that anyone who caused trouble in 2010 was really a member of pad with a red shirt on instead... rolleyes.gif

i know you wink.png'd but i've seen posters here coming up with excuses already before the event has even occured (just in case i suppose)

it's true that with the way the groups are visibly divided by colour (to an extent, for the pedants out there) that one would only need to put on a yellow or a red shirt, hide their face and throw a petrol bomb.

however, if there is trouble and obviously most on here hope there won't be, but if there is and we see members of PS throwing bricks or fireworks or whatever and posters start saying they are red shirts in disguise then they better apply that same suspicion in vice versa to events in 2010 as well.

hopefully nothing will come of it, as it can only lead to violence in the end.

So this is your alibi in advance.

Perhaps you know some thing we don't.

Is there a difference between a red shirt and a PT they both work for the same boss. I will give you two clues

clue #1 he

clue #2 lives in Dubai

no, you've read me wrong dolly... my point was that this is others alibies in advance, as has been made clear by posters already, insinuating that there will be 'plants' to start trouble from PS's side.

posters who wouldn't in a million years say the same thing about 2010.

did i ever say there were plants in 2010? no.

i try to deal with the hypocrisy of peoples statements, and am just making note of what has been said for future reference.

my point that 'plants' are a possibility, is because i am being reasonable, because it is a possibility and to say otherwise would be untrue.

it doesn't mean i am saying it's going to happen on either side, it means what it means, it's a possibility.

yes or no?

To me it is not a yes/no question as my reply depends on context. That is why I asked him for some specificity of quote.He failed to reply to that request and instead just repeated the question, in and around his repeated inflammatory sniping.

If you wish to be his advocate and provide some substance to his question, I'll check back in the AM.

how about in the context of the general calling for a coup which is what happened in the situation that we are talking about right now?

are you saying you are unaware of the quote? because i know your not.

• Like 1

yes or no?

If he did indeed call for a coup I would have to agree with you. We all know this government is sh/t but it is not that bad. I would have to see the statement in it's entirety to see if that is indeed what was said or just taken out of context.

he said "a coup is the only way to topple the government", he talked about the military better suited to run the country etc.

he said If a coup did take place, an interim government would be set up. If this was not acceptable to other countries, we could close the country. I don't know for how many years.

and people are supporting this...

The Nation

30194826-01_big.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

I see you are against hypocrisy so I am sure you will gladly post his statements then as I see you have no problem posting his statements now.

By the way I failed to see where you have disagreed with his statements today. I take that to mean he has hit the nail right on the head.

dolly, i'm not here to spoonfeed you. i've just showed you a quote dealing with the current situation that you seemed unaware of, that he did indeed call for a coup, unless stating "a coup is the only way to topple the government" translates to meaning something else to you.

re abhisit : basically in a nutshell, he said the very same kind of things before red shirt rallies, that he is now saying "can only lead to unnecessary tensions and conflicts", but you can google that one by yourself.

i think he has hit a nail right into his own head, and forgotten what he's said in the past.

you want a disagreement? how about i disagree with him stating his knowledge that there will be no weapons or violence, unless he either has a crystal ball or some level of involvement with PS... which even if the 2nd part was true (i don't believe in crystal balls...), i still would disagree that he could definitively know such things.

Edited by nurofiend

OMB, theres no need for the PTP and RTP to panic and hide behind the military. No one has called for violence, or to burn Bangkok like the redshirts protest did. They should be rejoicing because this is what they wanted, democracy in action.

What about those "Red shirts" ? Why did not the government do anything about them? The red shirt group formed rallies many times.

My previous trip to Bangkok past summer, I saw red shirt group formed rallies in Bangkok in memories of one of their leaders (I don't know his name). I was walking along Sukhumvit road and I thought there must be a coup attack that I did not know it coming.

Another weekend, I went to Suan Loom Pinee park and again there was an even larger rally of the red shirt group. I accidentally was sitting having lunch nearby and accidentally was in among those red shirt people. I over heard some men presumably were assigned to giving pep talk (More like brain washing tactic speeches) to small groups of country looking Thai people who attended the rally.

I was surprised to hear those red shirt Thais spoke with hatred against some prominent Thais. They talked among them openly how they wanted to attack anyone who is not on red shirt side. They were so vulgar using foul language attacking the Thai monachy. They are envious of people who are richer than them and are not one of them. Why don't they hate Thug-Sin and Ying Luck then, they are richer than most red shirt Thais.??

At the rally, they set up booths selling souvenirs and t-shirts with photos of Thug-Sin and Ying Luck. They set up a large bill board with pictures of Thai prominent and celeb oppositions. There were monks riding on motorcycles (I thought that Thai monks are not to get involved in politic). There were groups of men in fatigue outfits rehersing combat war practice right at the rally. They gave away free food and drinks and I heard some Thais who attended, mentioned that It was good to come to get free food and drinks.

The terrible thing was many people took advantage being one of red shirts, selling cheap goods on the sidewalk right there and even at the nearby bus stop. The police were there and did not do anything about it.

I saw some red shirt people carried fake machine guns and shouting waving red flags driving along Sukhumvit road late at night. That image reminded me of coup scenes I saw in civil war documentary films from Africa.

Thai politic has gone from bad to worse, it gets uglier and dirtier.

Edited by BrooklynNY

The Nation

30194826-01_big.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

dolly, i'm not here to spoonfeed you. i've just showed you a quote dealing with the current situation that you seemed unaware of, that he did indeed call for a coup, unless stating "a coup is the only way to topple the government" translates to meaning something else to you.

re abhisit : basically in a nutshell, he said the very same kind of things before red shirt rallies, that he is now saying "can only lead to unnecessary tensions and conflicts", but you can google that one by yourself.

i think he has hit a nail right into his own head, and forgotten what he's said in the past.

you want a disagreement? how about i disagree with him stating his knowledge that there will be no weapons or violence, unless he either has a crystal ball or some level of involvement with PS... which even if the 2nd part was true (i don't believe in crystal balls...), i still would disagree that he could definitively know such things.

Constitution Court rejected to block anti-govt rally Pitak Siam group as there is no solid proof of plan to oust govt /The Nation

This is serious, the stopped the soap operas so yingluck can address the country as to why the ISA is necessary.

Did she mention the kidnapping plot?

rolleyes.gif

Don't worry. The PM hasn't been in Thailand for about 4 years.

The government's handling of the protest was in complete disregard of established procedures, which include tanks and live ammo fire.

Well...maybe it was!

But the crux was, letting the Reds settle and make camp!

I understand, that the police (rather on "red" side of things) wasn't very helpful.

That, by the way, being IMHO the biggest scandal of the whole thing!

Right on DocN. Khun A. should have had the protestors removed immediately. But hind sight is always better. Maybe he thought he could count on the police I don't know but we know now. Hopefuly all have attended the "lessons learned class" and the next time a mob starts setting up in the streets just simply disperse them.

I would have to remain with the group which considers that Thailand repeats, rather than learns from, its mistakes

• Like 1

When it does - the result will be far from 1 million lol. But if they reach 100,000 it will be impressive.

Still, that will be twice the size of the Red Shirt Riots tho smile.png

Bring it on! that way the tourist will bug out and the Ex pats can relax and watch the progress!

How sickening it is to see all the red shirt huggers on here who supported the right for the violent red shirt protests and their speeches of hatred and arson all in the name of democracy and the right to protest now hypocritically support the blocking of what has so far been an extremely peaceful demonstration against the government.

Immoral Hypocrites hang your heads in shame.

• Like 1

Multiple choice question: Police Captain Odious has organized almost 40,000 people to do what to almost 50,000 protesters?

a) intimidate

B) provoke

c) control

d) attack

e) none of the above

Hopefully, Odious Jr. aka Mr Happy Toilet will be there on his throne to prevent things becoming too serious.

The Nation

30194826-01_big.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

The facts contradict your claims, however as you denigrate Thaksin too it could be seen as a clever way to lend credence your toothless attack on Abhisit.

'It ain't checkers - it's chess."

How sickening it is to see all the red shirt huggers on here who supported the right for the violent red shirt protests and their speeches of hatred and arson all in the name of democracy and the right to protest now hypocritically support the blocking of what has so far been an extremely peaceful demonstration against the government.

haha funny you jest

Living for 30 years in a mostly socialist country and on the border to communist countries, I would say it is standard and complete normal for commies.

Living for 30 years in a mostly socialist country and on the border to communist countries, I would say it is standard and complete normal for commies.

Santa wears red is he commie too? or Man United? absurd

• Like 1

yes or no?

It is not a yes or no answer, concerning undemocratic measures to overthrow an democratic elected government?

Interesting!

• Like 1