Assertion: People Use Their Kids To Get A Seat On Bts

isawasnake

Maybe this is a tempest in a teapot, but some people ride the BTS everyday. I don't necessarily mind the kid getting a seat, the parent is another matter though. They also will have the kid "scout", a spot, like it is ok to just cut up to the front. Again, maybe all not so big a deal, I know. I just think if you need a seat that bad, you can wait for the next train and be first in line (as perhaps somebody you just cut in front of did). God, this sounds whiney, but i'll post it anyway.... any thoughts for or against?

Whiney but true. You see kids pushing on as crowds are still exiting so they can get a seat for mum. The mum then walks on when everyone has exited and takes the seat saved for her. She knows people aren't going to say anything to a kid but there is always an outside possiblility that someone would say something if she tried it on herself.

I haven't experienced that particular thing, but I do know that many times I have seen parents with a couple of kids taking up a seat, whilst elderly people are standing. I'm not sure where the respect your elders has gone to, from Thai society?

Edited by uptheos

I haven't experienced that particular thing, but I do know that many times I have seen parents with a couple of kids taking up a seat, whilst elderly people are standing. I'm not sure where the respect your elders has gone to, from Thai society?

Absolutely agree - this is a pet peeve of mine.

I don't think I have ever seen a child give up their seat for an elderly or even pregnant woman, which is something that realy irritates me.

A few weeks ago I was on the BTS with my wife and 11 year old stepson - a seat became vacant and he immediately plonked himself down, leaving his mother standing! There was some surprised and negative reaction - from other passengers and even my wife - when I made him get up and let his mother sit down.

Patrick

I haven't used public transport in Bkk for a few years, but, when I did, several times I would see older teenagers and young adults give up their seats for younger children. One day I remember on a crowded aircon bus my wife actually gave up her seat to a 9yr old girl! My wife was in her late twenties at the time.

I was surprised and afterwards asked why. She said that many Thai people think that children aren't as strong as adults and adults should help them whenever they can.

Her loving and caring character is very endearing and I wouldn't want to alter any aspect of her, but I did mention that in my culture kids need to be trained to be strong and independent, and that I would willingly offer my seat to a pregnant woman, or a woman with a small infant, anyone with a disability, or an elderly or infirm adult but never to a child.

Nothing like this is a real issue for me but I do find the cultural nuances quite fascinating.

• Like 1

I take great pleasure in standing up and giving my seat to an older Thai man or woman and giving them a big smile as I offer them the seat, whilst the younger/middle-aged Thai's sit there and studiously ignore them.

Just doing my small part in improving cultural relations . . . cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Every time I use the BTS at peak hour I take an old woman, young child and a pregnant woman with me to ensure that I can have 3 seats and enjoy a horizontal nap!

The great aspect of any mass transport is that it brings diverse groups of people together into a shared space, sometime admittedly that shared space is a little too close for comfort. This shared, close proximity on a journey together provides an opportunity for perceptions, prejudices and understandings to clash. However, it can also provide an opportunity for greater insights.

Necessarily there has to be certain universal rules and practices - written and unwritten - that everyone adheres to. In a cross cultural context those rules & practices, especially the unwritten ones, can seem perplexing. In any context some people will always try to stretch the tolerance of adhering to what is socially acceptable for their own benefit. (The odd few will at times ignore everything). That can be the joy and the frustration of sharing public transport in any country.

There would be a great sociological thesis for someone to write evaluating the changes in behaviour of regular pax over the years as mass consumerism, populism and a greater sense of middle class entitlement (being most of the BTS pax) has made more people selfish and willing to ignore or abuse the historical established social norms of polite behaviour. Culture changes and that is no surprise. I can definitely say that compared to 10 years ago on the BTS these days you do see people not give up their seat for a pregnant woman, an elderly person and even allow a children to stand more. It is not the norm, far from it, but it is far more common than it was 10 years ago. (Of course there were many less pax when the BTS first opened and thus more seats available).

I have no problem with parents using their children to get a seat, if you have traveled with a child on an outing it seems a fair trade given the constant vigilance one needs to have with children and that everything takes twice as long. The middle class student or young person pretending not to notice by immersing themselves in their phone and not offer their seat to a older person - often perceived 'lower class' - really disturbs me. If the context is right, sometimes I'll publicly rebuke them and audibly ask them why they don't offer their seat.

Of course, the major problem is those that stand in front of the doors seeking to push their way into the carriage before all pax have disembarked and thus be certain of a seat. Now and then it seems most appropriate to 'accidently', and in a subtle manner using the flow of the exiting pax, push those people away from the door (assuming it is not an old lady, child or pregnant woman!) towards the rear of the line.

The again, we can all see short comings during our journey which can make for a frustrating experience, more than it already is at times when jammed against others. Better, to accept to a degree what is a happening if the majority of others accept it, enjoy the ride as best one can and save the exp<b></b>ression of concern for the most egregious selfish or unsociable acts.

Edited by Lakegeneve