Strange Request...........

thequietman

Was told that singing was unacceptable in the staff room yesterday. Another teacher and I were trying to remember the lyrics to a song and so were trying to remember. not loud just normal volume. others teachers just smiled at our attempts but directors wife was upset. told another member of staff who told us.

Another teacher was told to stop saying hello or generally greeting other teachers in English outside the English department. teachers complained that he was making them uncomfortable. he was asked to greet them in Thai or not at all.

anyone else got any more experiences of these petty incidents. rolleyes.gif

Guess you had the wrong tone or lyrics.

Next time try this one:

People are strange when you're a strangerFaces look ugly when you're aloneWomen seem wicked when you're unwantedStreets are uneven when you're down

When you're strange faces come out of the rainWhen you're strange no one remembers your nameWhen you're strange, when you're strangeWhen you're strange

People are strange when you're a strangerFaces look ugly when you're aloneWomen seem wicked when you're unwantedStreets are uneven when you're down

When you're strange faces come out of the rainWhen you're strange no one remembers your nameWhen you're strange, when you're strangeWhen you're strange, alright, yeah

When you're strange faces come out of the rainWhen you're strange no one remembers your nameWhen you're strange, when you're strangeWhen you're strange

Read more: THE DOORS - PEOPLE ARE STRANGE LYRICS

Edited by sirchai

We have, occasionally, had to tell people to stop singing and playing music in the staff rooms. We've had Filipinos who were very good singers, but could burst into song like something out of a Musical.

We've also had a few Western teachers who insisted that everyone should hear So-and-So's latest song, over and over and over again. That one was rather easy to cure. As the supervisor, I just put Dolly Parton on and played pretty much all day. Everyone seemed to think that perhaps we should not dispense with music altogether!

Why don't you teach your students that song? Honestly, if ten people sitting in the same office would sing ten different songs every day, I'd kill some of them.

And greeting somebody outside the office should be in Thai, using a Wai. This is THAILAND...........w00t.gif

Why don't you teach your students that song? Honestly, if ten people sitting in the same office would sing ten different songs every day, I'd kill some of them.

And greeting somebody outside the office should be in Thai, using a Wai. This is THAILAND...........w00t.gif

Its in the school. he greeted them in the school building.

We have been told at our school to greet the Thai Teachers in English. We are also forbidden from speaking Thai--we were hired to teach English and in that pursuit, we should use the language. We have a couple of Thai Assistants who are very good English speakers and they usually translate, when necessary.

It's quite interesting because we have 3 teachers who are Thai nationals, but were educated overseas. For all 3, English is the language they are most comfortable with, but they are bilingual and were raised speaking Thai at home, at least. They only speak English and it's always quite funny when an Assistant comes in to translate to them. None of the staff seem to realize that they speak Thai.

It's important to remember that the school is a bilingual school and as such there is a big emphasis on using English, including getting the Thai Teachers to use the language.

• Like 1

We have been told at our school to greet the Thai Teachers in English. We are also forbidden from speaking Thai--we were hired to teach English and in that pursuit, we should use the language. We have a couple of Thai Assistants who are very good English speakers and they usually translate, when necessary.

It's quite interesting because we have 3 teachers who are Thai nationals, but were educated overseas. For all 3, English is the language they are most comfortable with, but they are bilingual and were raised speaking Thai at home, at least. They only speak English and it's always quite funny when an Assistant comes in to translate to them. None of the staff seem to realize that they speak Thai.

It's important to remember that the school is a bilingual school and as such there is a big emphasis on using English, including getting the Thai Teachers to use the language.

Forcing people to speak certain languages and forbidding them to speak others based on race/nationality is wrong; both morally and linguistically. Sounds like the people running this school have very little understanding of the way people use and acquire language skills as well as common and best practices with regard to modern education theory.

The school I work at encourages students to use their own language as well as English (language of the curriculum). Thai students are encouraged to speak to each other in Thai, or any other language if it is necessary or contributes to the success of a project. Common sense really.

At our school i greet every one in english, only 1 teacher refuses to acknowledge me and insists on thai greeting mai pen rai up to her , i have taught class 5/6 to sing unchained melody, nobody has a problem with that.It helps because my wife is school director!