Why Wait 3 Up To 4 Month Ordering A New Car In Thailand?

Sandman77

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check around with some upcountry dealers.

That's how I got my Toyota 4-door pickup some years ago. 3-4 months delivery in Bangkok so I ended up buying from Toyota Mukdahan. They'd just got one in that was exactly what I wanted. So when it was delivered to my house it had about 1,300 km on the clock, semi broken in already.

Mac

Because there are too many people buying new cars because they want to get the 100,000฿ rebate before the government offer expires.

If you ask the salesmen there might be cars available with no wait, where someone paid the ordering fee (10k or so) and ordered but then changed their mind. You don't get to choose the customizations, but you also don't have to wait. This is what we did, as 3-4 months was too long to wait

• Like 1

Car industry is booming like crazy, loans are given massively and many people sooner or later will have problems to repay.

A classic bubble to my opinion.

In the short term it will lead to complete traffic collaps in certain cities,

• Like 1

Car industry is booming like crazy, loans are given massively and many people sooner or later will have problems to repay.

Classic full employment more likely. The auto business is good so people making cars have the money to buy cars. Henry Ford figured this out a long time ago with the Model T I think. I know these Western types would like to think the rest of the world is in as bad a shape as the West but if ones listens to the economists who know as opposed to the doom and gloom Thai Visa the answer is simple. Check out Marc Faber who has said on many occasions the Thai banking sector is in much better shape than the West. Quote Faber, "Now I happen to believe if you have money on deposit in Thai banks, it's much safer than if you have deposits with Citigroup, UBS, Royal Bank of Scotland and so on, because Thai banks don't have huge derivative portfolios. JPMorgan, they have trillions of dollars in derivatives. Nobody knows how to value this 'garbage."

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Classic full employment more likely. The auto business is good so people making cars have the money to buy cars. Henry Ford figured this out a long time ago with the Model T I think. I know these Western types would like to think the rest of the world is in as bad a shape as the West but if ones listens to the economists who know as opposed to the doom and gloom Thai Visa the answer is simple. Check out Marc Faber who has said on many occasions the Thai banking sector is in much better shape than the West. Quote Faber, "Now I happen to believe if you have money on deposit in Thai banks, it's much safer than if you have deposits with Citigroup, UBS, Royal Bank of Scotland and so on, because Thai banks don't have huge derivative portfolios. JPMorgan, they have trillions of dollars in derivatives. Nobody knows how to value this 'garbage."

Yes the Thai banks have loads of money and are lending it to every Tom Dick and Somchai,just like a young guy i know who"s payments on his lovely new car are almost all of what he earns ,now he is always trying to borrow money to live. what amazes me is that they will lend money to someone like that but would not lend to a foreigner that has an income 4 times as much ,crazy.

Why wait when there's always hundreds of brand new cars ready to been given away cause, who ever bought it can no long afford it. Go blue book shopping, there's always some broke Thai looking to pawn off their newly acquired car. I love how one poster says bribe the dealer... lmao go give the guy some money and you'll be waiting the same amount of time. Keep living the bangkok dream in your 28sq mansion sonny...

Yes the Thai banks have loads of money and are lending it to every Tom Dick and Somchai,just like a young guy i know who"s payments on his lovely new car are almost all of what he earns ,now he is always trying to borrow money to live. what amazes me is that they will lend money to someone like that but would not lend to a foreigner that has an income 4 times as much ,crazy.

Makes sense to me. I think most of the posters on here are foreigner's right? Would you lend them money... Sheesh..smile.png I mean look at Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece. They are not in Thailand. And the economic expertise written about here is downright scary. Let alone the family problems.

I realize Thailand's economy is really going good and you want to slag it off but your experience with a few Thai people is no substitute for real economic data.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

It is not because the Thai economy is in bad shape or on the verge of a real estate or other economic bubble. It is because the Thai economy is firing on all cylinders and Thai people and also others in the area want to buy cars made in Thailand. smile.png

It is unusual that every car brand here seems to have this same issue of delays. I will be interested to see the responses as it has been something I was curious about. Saying that there is a long delay because the economy is strong is not logical. Build another factory, make cars faster and then more consumers will buy Hondas instead of Nissans.

It is not because the Thai economy is in bad shape or on the verge of a real estate or other economic bubble. It is because the Thai economy is firing on all cylinders and Thai people and also others in the area want to buy cars made in Thailand. smile.png

It is unusual that every car brand here seems to have this same issue of delays. I will be interested to see the responses as it has been something I was curious about. Saying that there is a long delay because the economy is strong is not logical. Build another factory, make cars faster and then more consumers will buy Hondas instead of Nissans.

How long does it take to build a factory? It is simple. More demand than supply. smile.png If everyone who went to a burger joint wanted big macs there would be a wait for big macs.

I realize Thailand's economy is really going good and you want to slag it off but your experience with a few Thai people is no substitute for real economic data.

I really have to admire your persistence across so many threads.

Can you point to some real economic data that says the Thai economy is really going good?

Everything I have seen indicates it's not growing so well.

What do all these off topic posts do with the problem at hand? Do you know how to order a car quicker or not?biggrin.png

That is what the OP wants to know, not the intricacies of the Thai economy.

• Like 2

What do all these off topic posts do with the problem at hand? Do you know how to order a car quicker or not?biggrin.png

That is what the OP wants to know, not the intricacies of the Thai economy.

From the OP:

My girlfriend told me,the waiting time in Thailand is 3 up to 4 month!

Also in Bangkok!

Can someone explain why?

Seems like he's asking why.

A chef can only cook so many meals at a time regardless of how many tables he sets up. huh.png

Borrowing in LOS is sooooooo easy the mind boggles, in fact l can't believe how easy it is. So zillions of folk are buying cars they can't afford, purely to show off.

These two points in my opinion is why a wait, BUT, many dealers give a waiting time far in access of what actually happens.

Shop around cos some dealers have contacts and can supply a lot earlier when palm is crossed with silver. smile.png

Makes sense to me. I think most of the posters on here are foreigner's right? Would you lend them money... Sheesh..smile.png I mean look at Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece. They are not in Thailand. And the economic expertise written about here is downright scary. Let alone the family problems.

Plenty of foreigners can borrow money from banks if you have solid employment history and a work permit here. My first car was 50% down (my choice), and payed off the remainder. Our house, though in my wife's name, required out combined income to qualify for the 5M baht loan. So it can be done, though, I've worked in my current school for 11 years now, so that helped get the loan. My wife is also a long term civil servant.

If I can't look at it, sit in it and drive it, I'm not buying it. Never would I order a vehicle and have to wait more than a few days for it. Usually a dealer can find one in stock from another dealer.

• Like 1

My friend checked out the Toyota and got the same response of 4 months. She then decided on a Mazda after test-driving it. She liked it better, it was cheaper, and it was picked up within a week.

The 100k rebate is another topic, but it is good only for 1.5 liters and below, and it is 20k a year for 5 years as long as you still own the car.

In the US, I have bought more used cars than new, but in Thailand, with the extremely high price of used cars, it just doesn't make sense. Buying a new car with the full warranty seems to me to be a better choice. I think others must also think so, which adds to the demand on new cars, of course.

The rebate is 100k maximum, paid after one year ownership. In the blue book will be a note saying the car can not be sold for a period of 5 years.

They aren't all the same. I was told I could have a Lancer GT in Bangkok within 3 days in 3 colours while local dealers in Chonburi and Sri Rahca were vague saying a month maybe 2. Yet if you went for the cheap and discount eligible Mirage then you have a longer wait.

Another more expensive brand my wife bought took 2 -3 months. She gave up waiting for a cheaper Toyota innova after 9 months due to the floods and taxis booking them out.

The cheaper the car or a decent car reasonably priced car such as the fords take longer some people suggesting upto a year.

Buy a Japanese brand car eligible for the 100k discount and you will have a wait same as pick ups due to being cheap.

Yet buy a more expensive brand like Mercedes or BMW and I bet you will get it quickly or a brand no one really wants like chevy and same thing.

Why do you say i am slaging off Thailands economy? thats just a lie . I said no such thing ,in fact i said the banks have loads of money . Also i had a buisness here for 8 years(not a bar) so i think i may just be qualified to make an opinion ,dont you?

And as for lending foreigners money to make purchases ,what is wrong with that if they are solvent?

Edited by thenervoussurgeon

Why do you say i am slaging off Thailands economy? thats just a lie . I said no such thing ,in fact i said the banks have loads of money . Also i had a buisness here for 8 years(not a bar) so i think i may just be qualified to make an opinion ,dont you?

And as for lending foreigners money to make purchases ,what is wrong with that if they are solvent?

To answer your first question, you wrote, "Yes the Thai banks have loads of money and are lending it to every Tom Dick and Somchai,just like a young guy i know who"s payments on his lovely new car are almost all of what he earn" I don't think that statement was complimentary of the Thai economy or banking system.

Your second question about lending money to foreigners is answered by the economic problems of the West right now and the future problems of China and Australia. As a Thai banker I would stick to loaning money to Thais or at least people who had a record of long term employment in Thailand.

As to why this causes ordering back ups and long waits in Thailand I guess the bankers agree and don't want to buy many auto products from other countries.

It would be easy for the banks to ease up they auto backlog by loaning money to auto companies outside of Thailand and changing import taxes since I think they probably control the government anyway. Although I don't know this to be a fact.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

I agree the 100k rebate scheme is pushing car sales through the roof, people can't resist the deal yep it's 100k off which is a great deal but if you weren't going to buy a car in the first place and probably cant afford it, then you're not really saving money!!

I've lost count of the number of Thai friends and acquaintances who have really struggled to make their car payments, quite a few end up trying to get someone to 'rent' the car i.e. have use of the and make the payments until they can afford to again!! I'm no expert economist but I'd say Thailand's credit market is going to burst its bubble for all the same reasons it did in the west......Greed, lack of patience and Stupidity!!

I agree the 100k rebate scheme is pushing car sales through the roof, people can't resist the deal yep it's 100k off which is a great deal but if you weren't going to buy a car in the first place and probably cant afford it, then you're not really saving money!!

I've lost count of the number of Thai friends and acquaintances who have really struggled to make their car payments, quite a few end up trying to get someone to 'rent' the car i.e. have use of the and make the payments until they can afford to again!! I'm no expert economist but I'd say Thailand's credit market is going to burst its bubble for all the same reasons it did in the west......Greed, lack of patience and Stupidity!!

The credit burst in the West because of derivatives. Don't worry Thailand does not have any derivatives. The worst you can look forward to is the bank repos the car and resells it which will create lots of new jobs for repo men and car sales ladies.smile.png See the demand is quite a bit larger than the supply so even the repo cars will move quickly.