What Do You Consider Wealthy?

watcharacters

While I can't quote the source off hand, I recently read to be considered wealthy in the USA it requires 8.5 million USD. Roughly converted that's ฿ 255.000,000.

What do you consider wealthy today in Thailand?

I wish I had a quarter of that. Maybe it'll happen in my next life. Or the one after that... Or maybe the following one.

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know (of) this guy who lives in a hammock suspended between two gnarly old palm tress on a block that doesn't have anything on it. He considers himself wealthy because he is sure he is going to inherit it when his mother dies.

I'm sure he lies there daily with the dollar signs rolling over and over like pokies tumblers about which pickup he is going to buy and shouting his mates a bairn of 100 Pipers when his dear old mother croaks.

I spent 12 years of my life unable to climb two flights of stairs, coughing up blood every time I got a chest infection - essentially crippled.

This morning I cycled 88Kms in under 2hours 45 minutes over a circuit that includes two seriously hard climbs (one of which I went over twice).

I feel like the wealthiest man alive.

Congrats. I bet you know how many one of my favorite actors (bogart) weighted at the time of his death.

If you're happy with your life and situation, I give you all the best words I can offer. I'm glad you didn't puff your self up. Good job.

They say money is the route of all evil! I must admit, I sometimes wish that I was an evil person!

Some years ago a broke friend of mine once quoted an actress as saying the only thing good about having lots of money is that it let her not have to worry about having money. If the amount is right, that makes sense to me.

• Like 1

They say money is the route of all evil! I must admit, I sometimes wish that I was an evil person!

Some years ago a broke friend of mine once quoted an actress as saying the only thing good about having lots of money is that it let her not have to worry about having money. If the amount is right, that makes sense to me.

But the most important thing (among other things that is ;) ) what rich people worry about is losing their money

Money can buy everything except Real Love and long time happiness wink.png .

I've never been able to figure out what "true love" is. I'm familiar with "jealous love" which is what a man and woman general feel towards each other but "true love"? You got me there...

I like the idea of unconditional love which is the child/parent love meaning true concern for the welfare of the other person. A man and a wife are only OK with each other as long as the partner satisfies the needs of the other. That seems to be pretty much understood as unconditional love.

True love may end without death. Unconditional lives for a long, long time.

• Like 1

Who told you that? If in Thailand, take a look around. That will prove, you are wrong!whistling.gif

What is long time ???? You come then you go wink.png

Ooh sorry that is short time thumbsup.gif

Edited by MJCM

any man who is so happy that he does not think about wealth, is truly wealthy, even if he has nothing.

I have to agree with this sentiment. I have a relative who has much more money than me and he always asks why I am so happy.

I think it's great both of you feel so pleased with your situation. I really do respect that.

Being satisfied is one of the best goals to reach in this lifetime i believe. I think Thais feel that way but I may be wrong

I try to reach satisfaction daily and hope I achieve it some day. I try yoga as a method for happiness. and satisfaction.

Who told you that? If in Thailand, take a look around. That will prove, you are wrong!whistling.gif

Long time? Leaving after 6am?

4691508451_70095d48b3_z.jpg

Long time? Leaving after 6am?

4691508451_70095d48b3_z.jpg

And Gary Hart, years ago, was sitting at the back of Monkey Business with a big smile. 555

What's it all mean?

8.5m to be wealthy? why not 8.5b?

I only referenced the article I read about the USA "standard" OK let's call wealthy now ฿8.5 That sounds more attainable and realistic to me. But of course I'lll still have to look for bargains on agoda. 555

Edited by watcharacters

8.5m to be wealthy? why not 8.5b?

I only referenced the article I read about the USA "standard" OK let's call wealthy now ฿8.5 That sound more attainable and realistic to me. But of course I'lll still have to look for bargains on agoda. 555

I would not consider having ฿8.5 Million wealthy if that is what the 8.5 refers to, but my MIL and BIL would.

For a Thai (normal upbringing, 8k Job) that 8.5 Million is being on the top of the world, on the other hand for some people that amount is peanuts. So it all depends who you talk to.

Edited by MJCM

One very rich guy once said: "It's better to cry in an Rolls Royce then in a VW Beetle" wink.png

This is where spelling becomes important.

Sorry about that, but excuse me because English is not my native language !wai2.gif

Edited by MJCM

any man who is so happy that he does not think about wealth, is truly wealthy, even if he has nothing.

I have to agree with this sentiment. I have a relative who has much more money than me and he always asks why I am so happy.

I think it's great both of you feel so pleased with your situation. I really do respect that.

Being satisfied is one of the best goals to reach in this lifetime i believe. I think Thais feel that way but I may be wrong

I try to reach satisfaction daily and hope I achieve it some day. I try yoga as a method for happiness. and satisfaction.

How much can one spend in a lifetime? Life as one continuous holiday is a bore. How many bedrooms do we need to sleep in? Where is the satisfaction in someone else doing everything for us? Do people sit in their bank vaults counting their money ever week?

To me satisfaction comes from having enough to get by on, having a loving partner, food in my stomach and a great satisfaction in having done a good job with whatever I am doing, be it fixing the plumbing, decorating the house or seeing my football team do well.

The simple things in life can bring more satisfaction and happiness in life, such as Yoga or even a walk in beautiful countryside.

I can be as happy sat by the beach and watching the ladies go by as some millionaire sailing his yacht.

Life is what we make of it and your satisfaction will come.

• Like 1

What do you consider wealthy today in Thailand?

Same as I consider anywhere in the world I guess.

I consider wealthy as someone who is truly happy

with who they are & are healthy. What they do day to day

& how they feel about what & who surrounds them.

All the rest really is fluff.

I have lived my life working to live & not the other way around.

It served me pretty well in the happiness department as I feel

I have lived much more than worked.

Of course it goes without saying that there are folks who love work &

for them that is a good thing I guess.

But I have also known closely millionaires in the US that literally could

not sleep for fear of who was trying to rip them off.

I am not saying there are not happy millionaires.

Just that not all with money are always happy.

Money can bring both happiness & stress.

Lucky are those that have it balanced.