National Carrier To Stress Thainess: Thai Airways International's New President

webfact

Have you noticed that they have a new president? It sounds like he knows what needs to be done. Why not be happy about the changes, if you are unhappy with the status quo?

And as a passenger, I don't care about any slush money or whether they have to fly to commercially unreasonable destinations (remember the flights to Pyongyang?). I care about the seats, the IFE, the attitude of the flight attendants (one reason I don't like to fly airlines in the U.S.) and lastly, the food.

I am happy that this is being addressed and see no need or even reason to be negative about it.

Don't disagree with your post in general but Pyongyang??? I find that very hard to believe.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everybody here so negative?

I have been a Royal Orchid Plus member since it was introduced in 1995. I've been Gold most of the time, because TG used to be one of the best airlines in the world (check out the history). what happened then was that they started to save money, and from the youngest fleet in the world they became a really old one.

The major problems were:

1.) The seats

2.) The inflight entertainment system

3.) The staff attitude

They are changing this now. I just flew on the A380 to Singapore and none of these problems existed. I was a happy customer.

I am looking forward to the upgrade of all aircraft to the new standard. Yes, a smile from the crew and being friendly on board is indeed a factor that I value. So are the other issues mentioned, including the food. I don't care about the fabric of the uniforms, though.

I have been flying to Europe on OS these past times, because there these four things (adding food to the three items mentioned above) are just right. They will upgrade their business-class seats to 180-degree sleepers next year. I hope TG keeps up with this.

There is no way I will fly a Middle East airline rather than a non-stop flight, even for a 200 "quid" difference.

I am also someone who used to have a Thai gold card and yet abandoned Thai several years ago based on two factors. One price, and two the lamentable entertainment provision. Not enough to counter the Thai single remaining advantage which was the seat pitch which was 34". I was always happy with the food and the service. So what do we have now? Well the ents has has been sorted out but the generous seat pitch gone. Pricing policy useless. Economy and business class both no deals worth having. I too wouldn't bother with a 200 pound difference re economy class Vs a ME airline, Europe to BKK, but I would bother with up to a thousand pound difference in business class. That would be Emirates. And as for direct flights the Emirates A380 BKK-HKG BC return is about 25% cheaper than Thai. No contest, except for the greater choice of flights from Thai...but then if I want that I can choose Cathay Pacific.

Have you noticed that they have a new president? It sounds like he knows what needs to be done. Why not be happy about the changes, if you are unhappy with the status quo?

And as a passenger, I don't care about any slush money or whether they have to fly to commercially unreasonable destinations (remember the flights to Pyongyang?). I care about the seats, the IFE, the attitude of the flight attendants (one reason I don't like to fly airlines in the U.S.) and lastly, the food.

I am happy that this is being addressed and see no need or even reason to be negative about it.

Don't disagree with your post in general but Pyongyang??? I find that very hard to believe.

I was wondering about that, too. Pyongyang is a great place to visit but they are not exactly oversubscribed with potential visitors...

I was wondering about that, too. Pyongyang is a great place to visit but they are not exactly oversubscribed with potential visitors...

It was maybe 10 years ago. Just googled but couldn't find it.

The first flight had a number of officials on it to celebrate the launch. The second flight had one passenger, so the rumour went. It might have been more, but certainly less than ten. The third flight flew empty. Then they cancelled it.

The blame lies not with the TG management at the time, though. They advised against it. But the Thai government was (and still is, I believe) the biggest shareholder in TG, and the PM at the time instructed them to fly some routes, including this one, presumably for political gains. At least that's what was speculated in the press at the time.

A few years ago i was in and out if svb 6 times a month. It wasn't that Thai was bad, it was that SQ was miles better for less cost.

The mere fact that they address you by your surname in business class was a tiny thing, but really shocked me.

It is the small things that count on a flight, going that little bit extra. I had a connection on asiana coming out of China in economy, with a one hour delay. They had a cart waiting, and rushed me to the gate, with a ground staff member on hand all the way. Made it in m minutes.

Then i remembered one moment on Thai when the blanket they gave me was actually dirty. How i don't know. It was as though i had asked for a latour 57. The stewardess was so offended i asked for a clean one.

So thainess won't solve it, attention to detail is what might. No one expects the earth on a flight these days, but cost versus levels of service and quality always counts.

Maybe yingluck can flog it to sq.....

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

the thought of the trolley dollies in flip-flops selling somtam and fried bananas ,...........cant get more "thainess" than that , will probably fall asleep at their trolleys too , .............oh, and a few more plastic chairs to squeeze into the aisles wil be great .

I don`t know why some on here seem to be sneering at the chap who saved £200, flew from the airport of his choice and with a carrier I think few would argue provides a far better service than THAI currently do. Not everyone lives in a capital city and has money to waste - does that make them some kind of lesser being whose opinion counts for nothing? Now: back to `Thainess`...

didn't see those posts but im sure top of most lists when booking a flight is ,1 price;2 location of departure 3;airline 4;transport links 5;transfer/stopover times 6;flight times., and my preferences are in that order, except i wouldn't consider the use of any of the indian /russian/pakistani airlines for other reasons

Everybody knows that Thailand is the best in the world when it comes to food.

Apparently this man has never heard of Mexico. licklips.gif

Why would he wen he lives on Planet Thailand

personally i dont like many thai dishes they all taste so similar, either spicy with lemongrass or spicy without lemongrass, or just spicy or spicy and sour ,............as for mexican food that all tastes the same too , the only difference is the way they fold the tacco/bread ,...........now, greek / italian / turkish food or british style chinese , now your talking tasty !

Did you even read the OP? You should be jubilating! Your troubles will soon be over. New planes or new seats, flight attendants losing the grumpiness and smiling at you, the works. The new president has heard you and is going to change it. smile.png

By the way, if you think TG air hostesses are grumpy and the drinks served not in a way you like, try Lufthansa. They won't even serve the drinks (during the night), you'll just have to go to the galley and get it by yourself.

You seriously believe what the new bloke says? It's just a bland PR release. THAI have been churning out the same nonsense for years.

Only flown Lufthansa once a couple of years back to KL, so can't really comment on what they are like.; but there will need to be massive changes in THAI to convince me that they are worth paying more to fly with.

I flew Lufthansa regularly to Brazil from BKK in 2006, BKK-FRA, FRA-GIG, food and service were good, seat pitch much better than KLM, stewardesses were fine every time. and the business lounge in frankfurt was streets ahead of Thai lounges.

I don`t know why some on here seem to be sneering at the chap who saved £200, flew from the airport of his choice and with a carrier I think few would argue provides a far better service than THAI currently do. Not everyone lives in a capital city and has money to waste - does that make them some kind of lesser being whose opinion counts for nothing? Now: back to `Thainess`...

I have to agree, I fly emirates/etihad or turkish airlines to UK because they all service Manchester airport. No way would I take the 12 hour Thai flight to LHR and then have to drive for 5-6 hours home. I do remember in the 80's that Thai flew to Leeds/Bradford airport but that was short lived.

• Like 1