Most Amazing Sight Right Now.. No Kidding

TommyDee

Seriously, walk outside, and look at the moon. there is the most amazing halo I have ever seen. No tricks I promise. and if anyone is clever enough to explain it.. let me know

Tommy

link http://www.pattaya103.com/thailand-moon-halo/

meanwhile our camera is pretty crap, so if anyone has a decent camera and the urge to share it, please email me a copy.. would appreciate it

Edited by theoldgit
e-mail removed, send a pm if you wish
  • Like 1

Wow Tommy, nice call mate.

Just got all my family out all over the south of Thailand to have a look.

Here's the best image I could get, sorry for the poor quality as it's really hard to take decent photos at night with the equipment I have.

Taken from Ao Nang in Krabi.

0GHJK.jpg

It's a beautiful phenomenon, known as the 22 Degree Halo.

Everyone should get outside and see it, if you're never seen one before. There's a lot of first-timers in my family.

This has made my night!

Gonna try and take a video of this now and see if it comes out any better.

Cheers!

EDIT: Sadly my cameras are just not good enough, even at 14 Megapixels on all settings I've tried. Ah well.

Just go outside and have a look! Very pretty. Going out again to have a smoke and wonder at the marvel that is nature.

Apparently they're common to SE Asia and Australia.

Hexagonal ice crystals suspended high in the upper atmosphere under the right conditions refract light and this is the effect we see far below.

Edited by ManInSurat
  • Like 2

Wow Tommy, nice call mate.

Just got all my family out all over the south of Thailand to have a look.

Here's the best image I could get, sorry for the poor quality as it's really hard to take decent photos at night with the equipment I have.

Taken from Ao Nang in Krabi.

0GHJK.jpg

It's a beautiful phenomenon, known as the 22 Degree Halo.

Everyone should get outside and see it, if you're never seen one before. There's a lot of first-timers in my family.

This has made my night!

Gonna try and take a video of this now and see if it comes out any better.

Cheers!

EDIT: Sadly my cameras are just not good enough, even at 14 Megapixels on all settings I've tried. Ah well.

Just go outside and have a look! Very pretty. Going out again to have a smoke and wonder at the marvel that is nature.

Apparently they're common to SE Asia and Australia.

Hexagonal ice crystals suspended high in the upper atmosphere under the right conditions refract light and this is the effect we see far below.

glad to be of service :) I was indoors when the old woman interrupted me to demand I come outside. an hour later i was still lying on the terrace with my cheap camera trying to get a pic. it was almost like a tunnel from thailand to the moon.

• Like 2

Back when just lad ..... I was told by an old codger that the size of the moon's halo will forecast how far away rain is. A halo tight around the moon..rain will be soon..etc. Now this seemed pretty sage advice for those of us living in temperate climes .. not sure about the tropics.

Many moons ago when I was a member of the Junior astronomy club in London, we used to call this phenomenon a corona.

It`s caused by an unusual amount of ice crystals in the atmosphere being reflected by the glow of the moon.

We used to send our observations to the Greenwich observatory. Sometimes the corona can appear as a glowing ring around the moon and these can be quite spectacular.

Many moons ago when I was a member of the Junior astronomy club in London, we used to call this phenomenon a corona.

It`s caused by an unusual amount of ice crystals in the atmosphere being reflected by the glow of the moon.

We used to send our observations to the Greenwich observatory. Sometimes the corona can appear as a glowing ring around the moon and these can be quite spectacular.

Interesting.

Have you any idea what causes the ring around the sun? I guess that it doesn't happen very often?

Interesting.

Have you any idea what causes the ring around the sun? I guess that it doesn't happen very often?

That is cause by similar atmospheric conditions.

Usually when these rings appear we can expect rain sometime later.

Interesting.

It's a shame, I actually recorded it on my video camera, but can't seem to make a copy of the screenshot

Interesting.

In fact, if you read the Wiki article I linked above for this phenomena here you'll see it explains that solar halos are more common than lunar ones and it is knowing this that makes me feel kind of lucky to have witnessed such a clear and beautiful one.

Solar halos are formed in exactly the same way the lunar ones are.

Another solar effect I have been lucky enough to see and is nicely related to optical phenomena is the Green Flash. My folks worked on cruise ships for most of their lives and I occasionally joined them (in a working capacity) and to see the Green Flash you need an totally flat unbroken horizon that does not get hazy at sunset (much like Thailand does.) They can be seen from the shore but the effect is much more pronounced at sea. It's just the green spectrum of the normal sunlight being refracted more than usual. All sunsets have a green flash, it's just that it's very difficult to see them owing to atmospheric and land-based conditions.

There is also such a thing a lunar green flash.

Nature leaves such amazing entertainment around us everywhere. It never ceases to amaze me.

This was my first ever 22 degree halo and I wouldn't have known about it without Tommy and TV, so I'm indebted to you both for this.

Cheers guys! Another thing struck off my 9,999,999,999,999 things to do before you croak list!

Edited by ManInSurat