Thai And Their Watch

rics21

Does anyone know why Thais wear their expensive watches on their right hand? unsure.png

More chances of inadvertently flashing it.

Must be awkward adjusting time or using other functions with all the buttons on the wrong side. sad.png

Somehow the factory or an authorized dealer can set the speed of a Rolex with an electronic machine. Even though the movement is old fashioned jeweled mechanical, they can somehow precisely set the speed of ticking and mine never gets out of time except maybe once a year. It's self winding so basically I never touch it. I don't even take it off to shower so it stays clean and shiny. True story.

I don't know about crystals. Mine is actually crystal. It does get tiny scratches. Every once in a while when I'm in the mall and near the dealer, they polish the whole thing for me for free. It always looks new.

I've had it so long I don't even notice it any more.

If it's an automatic (or hand wind) watch it's impossible for it to be 100% accurate. ALL mechanical watches either gain or lose up to 20 seconds a day, no matter how expensive it is. Anyone who says their mechanical watch is accurate to within a few seconds a year is being loose with the truth. Quartz watches are another story.

Edited by giddyup

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whoopie doo, a new watch. IMO no big deal, I've had mine for the last 16 years and guess what? it still tells me the time !

You either love watches or you don't. Some people are happy with a watch they bought in the supermarket, others appreciate the beauty and quality of a good timepiece.

• Like 1

If it's an automatic (or hand wind) watch it's impossible for it to be 100% accurate. ALL mechanical watches either gain or lose up to 20 seconds a day, no matter how expensive it is. Anyone who says their mechanical watch is accurate to within a few seconds a year is being loose with the truth. Quartz watches are another story.

Well I guess you're calling me a liar as in "loose with the truth." My Rolex which is mechanical and self winding won't be off a minute in six months. If it was off a minute in 3 days as you say, I'd send it to the factory.

When you can afford one, you'll find out.

It has little to do with Thailand, this is a worldwide phenomenum, especially in Asia. I don't know the exact cause but the watch market has boomed last decade. Probably because of aggressive and innovative marketing techniques and internet emulation (there are forums bigger than thai visa dedicated for watches).

For watchmakers, the Asia market is a real jackpot. There are a LOT of new riches in this area, especially in China. After having bought a few expensives import cars, a high quality watch is the second best thing to gain face. Nowadays, most of the shop sellers in geneva's luxury watches shops are speaking chinese.

The famous brands have greatly enjoyed this new fashion. The same Omega or Rolex models are worth 10 to 15% more every year! Talk about inflation...

My girlfriend's boss owns several pharmacies and is probably making 8 figures a year. Recently, he proudly showed her the new Patek is was going to get (for just about 5 years of its employee's salary...). I was thinking, nice watch dude, but how about hiring more employees and raising everyones salary so that my girlfriend doesnt work 70 hours a week for a ridiculous pay?

Personnally, I can appreciate a good watch, but the prices are totally crazy. You can buy a well made mechanical watch from Seiko or Orient for 150$. An equivalent Rolex or Omega is worth at least 40 times more, for just a minimal improvment on quality that most buyers would be unable to notice anyway.

Edited by pistachios
  • Like 1

I think it quite important to point out that 98% of the general Thai population would probably not be able to spend frivolously on a knock-off.

Your average Thai will not make enough money in their whole lifetime to be able to buy one collector's Breitling, Tag, Rolex, whatever.

So when you say "Thai(s) and their watches". You're talking about a percentile of Thais so small and insignificant that it's not in any way a reflection of how the Thai population actually regard watches.

"Rich Asians and their watches" would have been infinitely more accurate in this case.

i think you should get out of surat and come to the big cities more often than u have been. there are countless watch fest held by central/ the mall in the recent years. you will be astonished by the crowds.

what i see is that it has been a trend in the central bangkok (office area in sathorn/ sukhumnvit/ etc.) of thais getting pseudo luxury watches, and their small eco cars.

Bangkok does not represent the whole of Thailand and it's not surprising you have that BKK-centric view of Thailand.

Don't make assumptions on how much time I have spent in big cities in Thailand either. You don't know where I've lived, worked and travelled before the south, do you?

I spend my time between several provinces and large cities, not just Surat, all over southern Thailand seeing a vast array of real Thais from different social backgrounds. I also speak fluent Thai.

Crowds does not mean the ability to afford things nor does it mean that they are not getting the money, if they have it, by getting themselves into serious debt. Which is not being able to afford something in my book.

Out of ~70 million. 2% is still 1.4 million people you have left to apply your BKK-centric logic to.

I'd counter-argue that you should get out of Bangkok and see how the rest and the majority of the country actually live their lives.

If someone said to me as a Londoner, I represent the whole of the UK, I'd laugh in their face.

1. I m referring to the Thais in Big cities. If u have really been to any, or meet anybody local who is not related to your partner. 555

2. South Thailand huh. Been to padang bezar? Sadao? Haiyat?

I too go to the south often. And you will be quite amazed by the amount of Rados they have.

Thais and their watches. Not all Thais, but a great majority of them.

Like what other TV members commented. Do u read the Thai magazines? Seem any of the watch advertisements?

Anyway, a,huge majority of Thais r known to buy things they can't afford.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

It has little to do with Thailand, this is a worldwide phenomenum, especially in Asia. I don't know the exact cause but the watch market has boomed last decade. Probably because of aggressive and innovative marketing techniques and internet emulation (there are forums bigger than thai visa dedicated for watches).

For watchmakers, the Asia market is a real jackpot. There are a LOT of new riches in this area, especially in China. After having bought a few expensives import cars, a high quality watch is the second best thing to gain face. Nowadays, most of the shop sellers in geneva's luxury watches shops are speaking chinese.

The famous brands have greatly enjoyed this new fashion. The same Omega or Rolex models are worth 10 to 15% more every year! Talk about inflation...

My girlfriend's boss owns several pharmacies and is probably making 8 figures a year. Recently, he proudly showed her the new Patek is was going to get (for just about 5 years of its employee's salary...). I was thinking, nice watch dude, but how about hiring more employees and raising everyones salary so that my girlfriend doesnt work 70 hours a week for a ridiculous pay?

Personnally, I can appreciate a good watch, but the prices are totally crazy. You can buy a well made mechanical watch from Seiko or Orient for 150$. An equivalent Rolex or Omega is worth at least 40 times more, for just a minimal improvment on quality that most buyers would be unable to notice anyway.

Most of them,don't appreciate the horology behind the time piece. Its the face issue, I guess.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

Well I guess you're calling me a liar as in "loose with the truth." My Rolex which is mechanical and self winding won't be off a minute in six months. If it was off a minute in 3 days as you say, I'd send it to the factory.

When you can afford one, you'll find out.

Do a search on mechanical watches for accuracy. I didn't say it would be out 20 seconds a day, that's just the expected tolerance of a mechanical watch, whether it's a Rolex, Omega or a Timex. Obviously the more you pay for a watch the more accurate you'd expect it to be, but they all have a + and - factor, and 10 seconds a month is hard to believe. Here's a chart to give you some idea, so even a Chronometer certified watch is still expected (at absolute best) to gain or lose 1 second a day.

Vintage mechanical watch

in good repair +/-60 +/-15 +/-5 99.9826% Modern mechanical watch

non-certified +/-10 +/-5 +/-2 99.9942% Modern mechanical watch

chronometer certified +6/-4 +/-3 +/-1 99.9977% Modern quartz watch

non-certified (normal) +/-2 +/-1 +/-0.1 99.9998% Modern quartz watch

chronometer certified (rare) +/-0.02 +/-0.02 +/-0.0 99.9999%

Edited by giddyup

OK, How about another way to look at it? I've owned my Rolex so long that the gold in it is worth far more than I paid for the watch. It has 100 grams of 18k gold, and that alloy is with platinum to make it really hard. If it was a President model it would have more than 150 grams of gold.

When I bought my watch, gold was hovering around $300 US an ounce. Today it's over $1,700. Today at more than $40 per gram for 18K gold, the scrap gold from my watch is worth more than $4,000 and that's a lot more than I paid for the watch. The watch is also worth a lot more than I paid for it.

Try that with a Seiko.

• Like 1

OK, How about another way to look at it? I've owned my Rolex so long that the gold in it is worth far more than I paid for the watch. It has 100 grams of 18k gold, and that alloy is with platinum to make it really hard. If it was a President model it would have more than 150 grams of gold.

When I bought my watch, gold was hovering around $300 US an ounce. Today it's over $1,700. Today at more than $40 per gram for 18K gold, the scrap gold from my watch is worth more than $4,000 and that's a lot more than I paid for the watch. The watch is also worth a lot more than I paid for it.

Try that with a Seiko.

There are quite a few vintage Seiko models that are now selling for far more than their original price. Rolex doesn't have the corner on watch appreciation. I have automatic vintage Seikos that have never been serviced in over 40 years and are still going strong.

Try that with a Seiko.

Another way to look at it? If you had bought solid gold and a seiko instead of your rolex years ago, you would have gained even more... And you can also buy a few new seikos for the price of your rolex service every 5/10 years.

Anyway I think gold watches are ugly, and surprisingly, rich chinese seem to be found of them.

Try that with a Seiko.

Another way to look at it? If you had bought solid gold and a seiko instead of your rolex years ago, you would have gained even more... And you can also buy a few new seikos for the price of your rolex service every 5/10 years.

Anyway I think gold watches are ugly, and surprisingly, rich chinese seem to be found of them.

I never thought it was a great investment, but just not a loss. I was merely pointing out that I didn't throw my money away in the way I would have had I spent the money on a new car. I have had the pleasure of wearing that watch for 25 years at basically no cost to me.

I'd say that most of my 'toys' are for me to look at and play with and if you're looking and think face issues are involved, you probably need to work out some personal issues for yourself.

smile.png

I'm with Heng and JurgenG.

I own more than a few nice watches. These were purchased just because I wanted them. I enjoy wearing them and they look good. They are for me.

If you are happy with a $20 watch, why question why someone is happy with a $5000 watch?

Let it go.

• Like 1

Oddly enough I've always worn a watch on my right wrist

Does anyone know why Thais wear their expensive watches on their right hand? unsure.png

Oddly enough I've always worn a watch on my right wrist simply because it feels more comfortable and natural.

Are you left handed?

I think it quite important to point out that 98% of the general Thai population would probably not be able to spend frivolously even on a decent knock-off.

Your average Thai will not make enough money in their whole lifetime to be able to buy one collector's Breitling, Tag, Rolex, whatever.

So when you say "Thai(s) and their watches". You're talking about a percentile of Thais so small and insignificant that it's not in any way a reflection of how the Thai population actually regard watches.

"Rich Asians and their watches" would have been infinitely more accurate in this case.

If its so small and insignificant then why do I see (different) Ferrarris, Lamborghinis, Porches, Bentleys, and countless, countless Benz's every, every day? Truth is, there are many, many rich Thais. And also beyond the hiso.

How do you explain public servants on 30k a year driving Benz's? Army general's kids in brand new Fortuners? etc.etc.

Personally it disgusts me, people who need to show off their wealth that way don't deserve it.

• Like 1

I think it quite important to point out that 98% of the general Thai population would probably not be able to spend frivolously even on a decent knock-off.

If its so small and insignificant then why do I see (different) Ferrarris, Lamborghinis, Porches, Bentleys, and countless, countless Benz's every, every day? Truth is, there are many, many rich Thais. And also beyond the hiso.

How do you explain public servants on 30k a year driving Benz's? Army general's kids in brand new Fortuners? etc.etc.

Personally it disgusts me, people who need to show off their wealth that way don't deserve it.

So I don't deserve my Porsche because I drive it?

Why do you feel that way?

So I don't deserve my Porsche because I drive it?

Why do you feel that way?

If you love Porsches and are a true enthusiast, know about the car, how it works etc., especially if you have saved for it , then I would say yes.

People who buy it only for the status symbol I would say no.

As Socrates said; all things in moderationwink.png

I think what we're (some of us are) missing is that some people just like to have something nice for themselves, not to impress. I have a collection of about 40 Schwinn bicycles from mostly the 1950's and they rarely leave my garage. In fact most of them hang from the ceiling. I also collect guns but I won't go there. These are all fine and beautifully made machines that I simply enjoy for myself. I love a wonderfully made machine that also has beauty and quality.

Everything mentioned is worth far more than I paid for it. I just watched a mint 1959 Schwinn Jaguar sell for $2,500 plus shipping on Ebay, and I have 3 like that with no where near that kind of money in them. All I have mentioned are part of my investment portfolio too, and in the past 20 years they have far outpaced inflation or compound interest in the bank.

I just love a beautifully made machine that's also a work of art. 100% original and not restored:

Jags650-1.jpg

KGrHqFjcEuIWHWBQJqJh8l60_57.jpg

• Like 1

If you dont get it, you dont get it. Go buy a plastic watch and be happy with it. Buy some ugly Seiko and it will serve you well for years.

I bought my last Omega for 800us, I can sell ir for 1400us easy. In fact, my watch is so highly sought after that if it were not a dsily wearer and in great condition it would command 2k+

I would not have a more expensive eatch than this here in Asia. Ooooh I want that IWC diver!

OK, I have great taste and killed that deal, but I have never lost money on a watch. Buy a Seiko (not GS), money in the bin.

Plastic watch for plastic people. You don't have to own a fine watch, but what a shitty watch ssys sbout a person is beyond words. Better not to wear one.

Oh, when people that don't wear watches ask me the time - No, broken. Not trying to be a dick but one sociopath told me once - why wear a watch, everyone else has one. Like the other losers at the borders and emb/cons...got a pen? No. These guys have drifted thru life off the good nature of others. Its a lifestyle.

You better have a look at the Seiko and Citizen forum if you think Seikos are money in the bin. There are plenty of highly sought after Seikos that have increased in price substantially. Not all models of course, any more than all Omegas increase in value. BTW, the first "good" watch I ever bought was an Omega Seamaster, an overpriced piece of crap that spent more time being repaired than on my wrist.

• Like 1

Sorry, I screwed up the quotes...

Well, my Omega runs very well. Ten years. Nice thing too, I am not bored of it. Its why this model is going for such big money. Very nice dial and hannds.

Just sayin about Seiko's...almost any quartz watch really. Yes, there is the odd Seiko that can command half its original price. Then there are the Grand Seikos. Those are real watches, but not even in same class astheir other stuff.

To the poster stating watches off by 20secs a day...yeah, if its broken. More like 1-3 and can be + as well as -

Edited by bangkokburning

I already explained it with the caveat "2% of the population" which you and the OP continue to ignore.

I made my point, the likes reflect common consensus.

I don't really want to talk about watches any more.

Perhaps the guy has just been to Chong Mek. whistling.gif ....................smile.png

It’s authentic, if I am not wrong - I do collect watches. There is the ceramic bezel on his aquaracer , most fakes don’t do ceramics.

So somehow it's OK for you to collect watches and no doubt be somewhat proud of your collection, but somehow there's something wrong with Thai's collecting watches and being proud of their collection?

Sorry, I screwed up the quotes...

Well, my Omega runs very well. Ten years. Nice thing too, I am not bored of it. Its why this model is going for such big money. Very nice dial and hannds.

Just sayin about Seiko's...almost any quartz watch really. Yes, there is the odd Seiko that can command half its original price. Then there are the Grand Seikos. Those are real watches, but not even in same class astheir other stuff.

To the poster stating watches off by 20secs a day...yeah, if its broken. More like 1-3 and can be + as well as -

You know nothing about watches if you think a mechanical watch can be 100% accurate, and I said they can be out by up 20 secs a day, but that is the tolerance they give a mechanical watch . Have a look at the chart I posted previously. You also know nothing about Seiko prices if you think that a lot of vintage and even some discontinued models haven't increased in value. I have bought Seikos for $150 four years ago that are now fetching three times what I paid because they are discontinued and now highly sought after.

Edited by giddyup

You know nothing about watches if you think a mechanical watch can be 100% accurate, and I said they can be out by up 20 secs a day, but that is the tolerance they give a mechanical watch . Have a look at the chart I posted previously. You also know nothing about Seiko prices if you think that a lot of vintage and even some discontinued models haven't increased in value.

I'm not sure that you realize that the best watches beat the COSC certified center-seconds by cutting the minimum variation in half. One thing that makes a Rolex so accurate in addition to its precise fully jeweled movement, its stiff case etc., is that it runs so fast. It beats about 28,000 times an hour. And don't forget. For every slight variation one way, it can vary an equal amount the other way on another beat.

If a Rolex (and I don't have experience with the others) is calibrated occasionally by a dealer or the factory, you'd have to be really anal to reset the time once a month.

Edited by NeverSure

You know nothing about watches if you think a mechanical watch can be 100% accurate, and I said they can be out by up 20 secs a day, but that is the tolerance they give a mechanical watch . Have a look at the chart I posted previously. You also know nothing about Seiko prices if you think that a lot of vintage and even some discontinued models haven't increased in value.

I'm not sure that you realize that the best watches beat the COSC certified center-seconds by cutting the minimum variation in half. One thing that makes a Rolex so accurate in addition to its precise fully jeweled movement, its stiff case etc., is that it runs so fast. It beats about 28,000 times an hour. And don't forget. For every slight variation one way, it can vary an equal amount the other way on another beat.

If a Rolex (and I don't have experience with the others) is calibrated occasionally by a dealer or the factory, you'd have to be really anal to reset the time once a month.

Even the best of mechanical watches still won't beat a cheap quartz watch for accuracy.