Wait 6 Months For A Honda City!

dksharron

I would like to buy a new Honda City S AT

This is the standard model with the Automatic Transmission

599,000 baht

I was expecting a wait, BUT 6 MONTHS!!

Deposit now, get the car in May. This is in Pattaya.

Is it any different in another province?

Can a "tip" be paid to the dealer to be moved up on the list?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Well, if this car falls under the first car scheme, then you will have a huge demand for it, so six months does not seem that exceptional for a Honda.

You may try shopping around in BKK and see if one or the other dealer has a model that has been rejected by customers (may not be your color of choice) available for immediate pickup.

That thread above includes a discussion about Honda waiting times that might interest you.

Honda and Toyota have silly waiting times basically because the Thai customer accepts it and doesn't walk off and take their money elsewhere, as customers in other countries would do. They operate this way because they can.

• Like 1

http://www.thaivisa....319-honda-jazz/

That thread above includes a discussion about Honda waiting times that might interest you.

Honda and Toyota have silly waiting times basically because the Thai customer accepts it and doesn't walk off and take their money elsewhere, as customers in other countries would do. They operate this way because they can.

Hardly...the Thai economy is booming...car sales higher every year...demand exceeds supply...Econ 101.

To the op, the "used car" tents along sukie in Pattaya often have new cars of popular models for sale. I guess they buy new popular models they know they can flip for a nice profit because of the long waits from the dealers. May want to see if they have any cities available.

Hardly...the Thai economy is booming...car sales higher every year...demand exceeds supply...Econ 101.

The economy has been known to boom in the UK and the US too but i've never heard of people waiting six months for a small Honda.

Honda knows full well what the demand is here. It's not a surprise or a shock. They could do something about the ridiculous waiting times, but they don't feel they need to, because customers are prepared to wait. I wish they weren't. I wish everyone would take their money elsewhere and force Honda to improve customer services. Alas, there are many things i wish for that don't come true...

• Like 1

I was at a Honda dealer today getting one of my cars serviced. I spoke with a salesman, as I an somewhat interested in the new Civic, and he informed me the wait was one month for a Civic, and indeed 6 months or more for the City. He said the reason is that because of the first time buyer rebate scheme ending this year, everyone is rushing to buy the City. The Civic is too big and doesn't qualify for the program, hence no wait.

I was at a Honda dealer today getting one of my cars serviced. I spoke with a salesman, as I an somewhat interested in the new Civic, and he informed me the wait was one month for a Civic, and indeed 6 months or more for the City. He said the reason is that because of the first time buyer rebate scheme ending this year, everyone is rushing to buy the City. The Civic is too big and doesn't qualify for the program, hence no wait.

It's true that the first time buyer scheme has pushed up demand for the City higher than it ordinarily would be, but even before that scheme, and long before the floods ever came, the waiting list was still a good few months. Don't think it has ever been less than that unless you can pick yourself up one that someone else has ordered and cancelled.

The economy has been known to boom in the UK and the US too but i've never heard of people waiting six months for a small Honda.

Honda knows full well what the demand is here. It's not a surprise or a shock. They could do something about the ridiculous waiting times, but they don't feel they need to, because customers are prepared to wait. I wish they weren't. I wish everyone would take their money elsewhere and force Honda to improve customer services. Alas, there are many things i wish for that don't come true...

Developed vs. developing market...apples and oranges...silly to compare the two. As manufacturing capacity expands year on year, market dynamics will balance out.

Same at Honda Phuket for the new CRV. I need a car like right now, can't order the old model, wait until April for the new model.

Worse, you can't even rely on their promised delivery date. I spoke to my rental car lady this morning and she had ordered some cars from Honda, the promised month has passed and they were told to wait one more month, now one more ...

Developed vs. developing market...apples and oranges...silly to compare the two. As manufacturing capacity expands year on year, market dynamics will balance out.

I don't think developed or developing market makes any difference. Basic economics are the same the world over. Hondas are in high demand here, but this isn't a sudden craze or a sudden boom that has caught the manufacturer out. Hondas have been in high demand for years and years here. Honda could do something about waiting times by increasing production, but what incentive is there for them to do that? The way thinks work as they stand is every car that is produced immediately has a buyer. They have virtually no surplus stock, which is great for them, because it means money is coming in as quickly as it is going out, plus when a new model comes out, they don't have old stock on their hands that takes ages to clear. They act this way because they can get away with it. Other manufacturers here can't. If the Thai consumer suddenly started taking their money elsewhere, i guarantee Honda would change their methods, and change their methods very quickly. Do you seriously think they wouldn't?

• Like 1

I spoke to my rental car lady this morning and she had ordered some cars from Honda, the promised month has passed and they were told to wait one more month, now one more ...

I had the same sort of experience. They give you a date which i think they know they'll never be able to deliver on, and then when the date is approaching, tell you that it will be another month. And then a month after that, you get a phone call saying it will be yet another month. Most people having already waited so long, accept it.

I don't think developed or developing market makes any difference. Basic economics are the same the world over. Hondas are in high demand here, but this isn't a sudden craze or a sudden boom that has caught the manufacturer out. Hondas have been in high demand for years and years here. Honda could do something about waiting times by increasing production, but what incentive is there for them to do that? The way thinks work as they stand is every car that is produced immediately has a buyer. They have virtually no surplus stock, which is great for them, because it means money is coming in as quickly as it is going out, plus when a new model comes out, they don't have old stock on their hands that takes ages to clear. They act this way because they can get away with it. Other manufacturers here can't. If the Thai consumer suddenly started taking their money elsewhere, i guarantee Honda would change their methods, and change their methods very quickly. Do you seriously think they wouldn't?

I will add something about Honda dealers in Thailand. I have purchased two Hondas from two different dealers in different cities, one was Bangkok. Their dealers are among the best I've seen anywhere, approaching Lexus and Mercedes, which I have also owned. The current dealer offers perfect service, prices are low, and they return the car to you detailed and I mean detailed and clean. They have a free expresso bar, expensive upholstered sofa waiting rooms with free computers, wifi, large screen TVs., etc..

They really have nailed the after-sale bit IMO. Another reason for Honda loyalty and why people will wait. Also, the Thai build quality is top-notch. I've never had so much as a rattle or squeak, and never a break down.

*Yesterday, they said the car would be finished at noon. Precisely at noon got a call, picked up the car, perfect. It's always like this. Another car I own, a Mazda, that dealer is horrible! in every way.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

I will add something about Honda dealers in Thailand. I have purchased two Hondas from two different dealers in different cities, one was Bangkok. Their dealers are among the best I've seen anywhere, approaching Lexus and Mercedes, which I have also owned. The current dealer offers perfect service, prices are low, and they return the car to you detailed and I mean detailed and clean. They have a free expresso bar, expensive upholstered sofa waiting rooms with free computers, wifi, large screen TVs., etc..

They really have nailed the after-sale bit IMO. Another reason for Honda loyalty and why people will wait. Also, the Thai build quality is top-notch. I've never had so much as a rattle or squeak, and never a break down.

*Yesterday, they said the car would be finished at noon. Precisely at noon got a call, picked up the car, perfect. It's always like this. Another car I own, a Mazda, that dealer is horrible! in every way.

Can you hang around the espresso bar for 6 months until your car is delivered?

Edited by mogandave

Can you hang around the espresso bar for 6 months until your car is delivered?

biggrin.png Yeah, I agree, but I think most people are willing to do just that, rather than buy another brand. My point was that their dealer program is so good, that I think it also helps create this sort of irrational loyalty that people will wait 6+ months for a car.

Yes i have to agree keemapoot, with regards the quality of service at the dealerships and the quality of their product. It is the market leader in that department and the reason why people are prepared to wait. I maintain however that they really shouldn't have to and that Honda could do something about the ridiculous waiting times if they had an incentive to. They don't. If it doesn't bother people then that is fine. It bothered me and so i took my money elsewhere. No regrets on my part and i dare say no regrets on Honda's part - i'm sure a new customer filled my shoes immediately...

As they say, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Yes i have to agree keemapoot, with regards the quality of service at the dealerships and the quality of their product. It is the market leader in that department and the reason why people are prepared to wait. I maintain however that they really shouldn't have to and that Honda could do something about the ridiculous waiting times if they had an incentive to. They don't. If it doesn't bother people then that is fine. It bothered me and so i took my money elsewhere. No regrets on my part and i dare say no regrets on Honda's part - i'm sure a new customer filled my shoes immediately...

A couple more examples of their bleeding-edge dealer network. Yesterday, I was watching the salespeople. They all had new very attractive uniforms (sexy ones for the gals-and every woman had been chosen to be attractive too), each one had an Ipad2, and when I talked to the salesman, and quizzed him extensively, he knew every single bit, every single question, without pause. He then supplemented the conversation with his Ipad, showing pics, specs, etc... Top shelf. I watched personal service as someone took possession of a new car, two reps went with them with the car blessing, gold pot, flowers, etc..., they made the customer feel like a King.

That sort of thing has been lost on other dealers. In my experience from new cars I've bought in Thailand, Ford, Mazda, very bad...Toyota better, but mechanical and get you out the door, no personal attention. Premium marks are a different category of course.

Edited by keemapoot

A couple more examples of their bleeding-edge dealer network. Yesterday, I was watching the salespeople. They all had new very attractive uniforms (sexy ones for the gals-and every woman had been chosen to be attractive too), each one had an Ipad2, and when I talked to the salesman, and quizzed him extensively, he knew every single bit, every single question, without pause. He then supplemented the conversation with his Ipad, showing pics, specs, etc... Top shelf. I watched personal service as someone took possession of a new car, two reps went with them with the car blessing, gold pot, flowers, etc..., they made the customer feel like a King.

That sort of thing has been lost on other dealers. In my experience from new cars I've bought in Thailand, Ford, Mazda, very bad...Toyota better, but mechanical and get you out the door, no personal attention. Premium marks are a different category of course.

Just one question. All those pretty girls in those sexy uniforms and you wasted your time talking horse power output and trim range with one of the men?! Did the missus have you on her radar or something?!

Just one question. All those pretty girls in those sexy uniforms and you wasted your time talking horse power output and trim range with one of the men?! Did the missus have you on her radar or something?!

hehe, the Mrs. luckily dropped me off and let me take care of things. I did chat one of those cuties up though...

I guess it depends very much on the dealer as well. I have found Mazda a big relief and knowledgeable compared to Isuzu, Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi and Ford dealers in the area.

I ordered a Honda City S AT two weeks ago. Delivery is in January. Many Bangkok dealers have been busy with the car show, but the car will be delivered next month. You need to go to the big guys. I ordered mine from Honda on Rama IV in Klong Toei.

Yes, Rama IV is one of the best Honda dealers in Thailand. I ordered a new Honda from them some years ago. Glad to hear they are still operating well.

I ordered a Honda City S AT two weeks ago. Delivery is in January. Many Bangkok dealers have been busy with the car show, but the car will be delivered next month. You need to go to the big guys. I ordered mine from Honda on Rama IV in Klong Toei.

Be sure to post an update on the day it's ready for collection smile.png

I was told 5 months wait for my top model city, well after 1 month we called around other honda dealers to see what we could get, found one in korat but it had leather seats, not what we wanted, so called the original dealer and said we have one in korat and we will take it unless they can get us our car by friday in the colour we want, well low and behold they called back the next day but we have to pay the full 25% deposit straight away, we did got the car.

We have had it one month now done 5500ks and the car is fantastic, showing 16.8ks/l which isnt to bad, and has good pick up and go, and we will recieve the full 100,000 rebate, so 604,000 for a top model is a great deal.

^^ We employed a similar tactic when approaching Honda after being jerked around by Toyota. We basically told them that we would take our money elsewhere if it could not be delivered by next month (when we need it). We told them (lied) that we had already left another Honda dealer for this reason, and it was the reason we refused to purchase a Toyota.

Be sure to post an update on the day it's ready for collection smile.png

I highly doubt that's going to happen. This isn't my thread. I don't need to report back anything. I was sharing my experience. That's all. If you have doubts or reservations about what I said regarding my vehicle purchase or the delivery date, please feel free to go speak with Aom at Honda - Rama IV. She can sell you a car, and you can find out for yourself. coffee1.gif