Review Of "koh Lanta Pizzeria"

TheVicar

I try and not pass comment on Restaurants in Chiang Mai as I find any consistency to the quality of the food lacking, even the highly praised premium restaurants that are mentioned on this board. Great 1 visited, chicken feathers on your Pork Ribs the next.

Since my favorite Pizzeria closed down (Pizza Bella) I've been dining more and more at Koh Lanta Pizza and have developed a soft spot for it.

Not the greatest pizza but consistently good. Fresh and flavorsome but with that cooked from the bottom appearance. No hint of charring, the way Thais seem to like there pizza.

Great salads and a decent wine selection but apart from ice cream no desert. And the coffees brought in from across the road and is horrid. And because its Thai customer focused the value is great.

I have to disagree with the above review in regards to service and ambiance. Quite like the location and plenty of pretty Thais. As for service' we are always waiting for a least 5 minutes for our first drinks. But the staff themselves are great.

The night I visited the place was 3/4 full and I didn't have to wait at all for service. I suspect part of the "waiting time" depends on the individual; I just raised my hand to beckon a waiter over and he came over immediately with a menu. Many times, the Thais, especially in the North, do not want to "rush" you so unless you are proactive, nothing much will happen. After the first waiter came by, two others did too plus the owner. As mentioned in the review, the owner not only told me about his background and concept for the restaurant, he came over after I dined and asked how everything was. That's good service.

One poster is certainly right about the clientele. Next to the Vicar, there were 4 lovely young Thai university ladies (from Payap U.) who chatted up the Vicar; one even offering to show him "around the town". I had all my Thai waiters (young men) nodding in amusement and pleasure.

This is not the best pizzeria I've ever been to in regards to the food and not even the best pizza I've had in CM but the service was great and within its own limitations, this is a decent place to go to. I marked down the place on ambiance since it is not especially Italian and it certainly isn't sophisticated or even smart. I'd say a pretty typical college type pizza place which in the West would be serving below average food (no home made pastas; pizza tasty but not great; limited menu; no home made desserts, only store bought ice cream) but you'll have an enjoyable time and decent food and the prices are cheap.

Actually, the best pizza I've had in CM was in a little place almost directly across from Wat Prasing. It has gone out of business in the past couple of weeks. Had a large Italian flag outside and they delivered. They made the pizza dough fresh for each pizza in front of you (from the flour and the eggs) and then put it in their brick oven. It was great and cheap too. It had but 1 table outside and the inside had no atmosphere whatsoever but their pizza was divine.

Edited by TheVicar