Two Russian Females Arrested After South Pattaya Convenience Store “Incident”

Rimmer

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm 219 baht. 7/11 lass said she received 220 baht. Russians say they handed over 1 1000 baht note. 3 notes minimum to pay 220 baht (2 x 100 1 x 20). Surely any camera can detect the difference between 3 notes as compared to 1. When opening the till straight away you would have to be putting the notes into their different respective slots. Surely the camera can detect this hand movement even if it can't distinguish the amount of the notes. Hard to believe 220 baht can be confused with 1 1000 baht note this way.....

Regardless, hitting somebody with a bottle due to a misunderstanding is totally unacceptable behaviour on every level. I wonder is this how problems are handled in Russia. I think the opportunity for these ladies to holiday in Thailand again should be taken away from them for lets say, 2-5 years.

Is this really where society is heading these days. Just incredible.

• Like 1

Is this really where society is heading these days. Just incredible.

I don't think an isolated incident like this is telling us where society is headed. It might say something about Russians... or is this Russian lady an exception.

Easy enough to run a till check. Happened to me in a pub in UK. "I gave you a twenty", "no it was a tenner". So they ran a till check. Change back for a twenty. Thanks.

Not easy to check at all, unless the person stealing is seriously stupid.

1,000bht till scam

Till operator has 500 (or 100bht) note under the till (or somewhere else convenient).

You hand over 1,000, the pre-hidden note is put in the till, the 1,000bht note goes under the till.

Till check protects you from a mistake, it doesn't protect you from a thief.

Not All 7-11 Employees are Honest...I have been had several times in 7-11....You gave me a 100 note instead of a 500...Just last week an employee wanted to charge me 100 Baht for a loaf of bread which clearly stated 49 baht on the outside.....Hi season so Expect Scams in many places of business..It is not only the Jet Ski operators or Taxi's..

Thought everything was bar coded, they charge what the screen says. coffee1.gif

As someone already pointed out.

One Russian lady hit a shop assistant with a plastic coke bottle, two Russian ladies were arrested.

Did they also arrest the shop assistant accused of stealing from the ladies?

7-11 have cameras, even the keystone cops could identify the correct assailant (and check if she were really short-changed at the same time) within five minutes.

I've got to the point of holding up and waving around 1,000bht notes and asking if they can change this amount before handing them over now. Too many shops, restaurants and bars doing the you only gave me 500 (or 100) bht scam.

Another Thai police victimize foreigners story.

I've never bee cheated in an 7-11 and I use them most days and often give 1000 baht notes. On a separate issue, I got a taxi a few month back and gave a 100 baht note for an 80 baht fare. I told him to keep the change and left the taxi. Then as I was walking away he got out of the taxi and shouted after me. He said I'd given him 500 baht not 100, so he gave me 400 baht change. He could easily have driven off, but he didn't. I'm not sure why so many on here get ripped off regularly while others never do. Either the places they hang out, or something about the people. Judging from the attitudes on many farangs on TV (not you TP) I'm not surprised that they get ripped off. I'd probably want to rip them off as well, for being so disrespectful.

I think a lot of the supposed rip offs reported here on TV are gross exaggerations and hear-say. Sure, any of us who've lived in Thailand a while have a few sad/bad tales to tell about being ripped off ... but I can say that about a lot of other countries I've lived in. Unfortunately TV has a lot of grumpy old-men who seem to take perverse pleasure in lambasting Thailand and it's people. Go figure. Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 2

For all the Thai apologists out there, it is a common trick for 7/11 clerks to short change falangs in tourist areas. This has happened to me more times than I can count in the 8 years I have been here. Last month in Bangkok on suk 12 I got short changed at 7 and when I stood there and requested the balance of my change she became indignant. Threatened to review the purchase on the CCTV, so I called her bluff and also requested it, she made a big deal about it, after a few minutes of fumbling. She finally got the video and there I was, mr smiley clearly handing over a 1000 note, she threw my correct change at me and stormed off, no apology. Another time I walked out of 7 counting my change, wife looked at me, said what's wrong, I said shit, got short changed a 100 baht, she headed back in, I said no, it's my fault for not paying attention, she came back out with my 100 baht, she commented on how the clerk never asked how much I was short changed, just gave her the 100. If it hasn't happened to you, it's because you didn't notice it, you were not born under a lucky star, happens daily at most 7's. Get a clue.

How could you possible know for a fact that it "happens daily at most 7s"? You can't ... you just assume the worst.
  • Like 1

One Russian lady hit a shop assistant with a plastic coke bottle, two Russian ladies were arrested.

7-11 have cameras, even the keystone cops could identify the correct assailant (and check if she were really short-changed at the same time) within five minutes.

I've got to the point of holding up and waving around 1,000bht notes and asking if they can change this amount before handing them over now. Too many shops, restaurants and bars doing the you only gave me 500 (or 100) bht scam.

I've never bee cheated in an 7-11 and I use them most days and often give 1000 baht notes. On a separate issue, I got a taxi a few month back and gave a 100 baht note for an 80 baht fare. I told him to keep the change and left the taxi. Then as I was walking away he got out of the taxi and shouted after me. He said I'd given him 500 baht not 100, so he gave me 400 baht change. He could easily have driven off, but he didn't. I'm not sure why so many on here get ripped off regularly while others never do. Either the places they hang out, or something about the people. Judging from the attitudes on many farangs on TV (not you TP) I'm not surprised that they get ripped off. I'd probably want to rip them off as well, for being so disrespectful.

Yes, it sometimes seems there are two Thailands, the one I live in and the one that seems to leave certain individuals in a perpetual state of rage.

I've never been short-changed by anyone, although on several occasions I've been given too much change. I think some farangs have personal issues that cause them a great deal of worry and they manage to direct their frustrations onto those around them.

I cannot understand why people who are so unhappy about their lives in Thailand do not just go back to wherever they found life to be so great.

I have to agree, I have been offered too much change (and refused it!) many more times than I have been shortchanged.

Maybe i look like I need it, lol.

Not All 7-11 Employees are Honest...I have been had several times in 7-11....You gave me a 100 note instead of a 500...Just last week an employee wanted to charge me 100 Baht for a loaf of bread which clearly stated 49 baht on the outside.....Hi season so Expect Scams in many places of business..It is not only the Jet Ski operators or Taxi's..

I have used the

I have used the 7-11 in my village where I have lived for the last 7 years and never been short changed, then about 6 months ago, a new Tesco Lotus Express opened and I have been shortchanged twice for the same item at the same till.

7-11 in the village where I have lived for the last 7 years and never been short changed. Then about 7 months ago a new Tesco Lotus express opened up, and in that time I have been overcharged twice when buying the same item at the same till.

Get a clue.

I've got a clue that it has never happened to me and I'm careful when checking change. I'm sure it happens - perhaps I've been lucky.

I hope you always check your Tesco receipts ...especially if you've purchased any reduced items or special offers ! I routinely have to go from till to customer service desk to get the refund due ! Also , do you always check the fuel pump readings when you fill up ? I know I do ! .

For all the Thai apologists out there, it is a common trick for 7/11 clerks to short change falangs in tourist areas. This has happened to me more times than I can count in the 8 years I have been here. Last month in Bangkok on suk 12 I got short changed at 7 and when I stood there and requested the balance of my change she became indignant. Threatened to review the purchase on the CCTV, so I called her bluff and also requested it, she made a big deal about it, after a few minutes of fumbling. She finally got the video and there I was, mr smiley clearly handing over a 1000 note, she threw my correct change at me and stormed off, no apology. Another time I walked out of 7 counting my change, wife looked at me, said what's wrong, I said shit, got short changed a 100 baht, she headed back in, I said no, it's my fault for not paying attention, she came back out with my 100 baht, she commented on how the clerk never asked how much I was short changed, just gave her the 100. If it hasn't happened to you, it's because you didn't notice it, you were not born under a lucky star, happens daily at most 7's. Get a clue.

I cant remember ever being ripped off in a 7/11 and I go to one at least daily and many different locations around Pattaya. I am also very careful with change and I would notice. I think the staff do a good job considering the difficulties they face with a lot of customers and the language barrier.

Of course it is always possible that there are some bad eggs trying to rip customers off but I think they are a very small minority.

I find it hard thou to reconcile this story when they handed over either a 1k note or three seperate notes to enable payment of 229baht with 1 baht change.

• Like 1

How could you possible know for a fact that it "happens daily at most 7s"? You can't ... you just assume the worst.

Maybe I'm a bit off topic here, but beware of the clerks at the skytrain station booths, when they give you change, quite often you will be a10 Baht coin short, it has happened to me several times and I always made sure I got it back. Also, the clerks involved have always been male.

Having shopped in Moscow many times and experienced the mutual disrespect between shop assistant and customer, and having shopped in 7/11s here, I could believe just about any part of this story.

But, I wonder how much of it has been reported accurately ? There have been so many previous comments here about the partial and sometimes inaccurate reporting of facts.

Yes, it sometimes seems there are two Thailands, the one I live in and the one that seems to leave certain individuals in a perpetual state of rage.

I've never been short-changed by anyone, although on several occasions I've been given too much change. I think some farangs have personal issues that cause them a great deal of worry and they manage to direct their frustrations onto those around them.

I cannot understand why people who are so unhappy about their lives in Thailand do not just go back to wherever they found life to be so great.

Whilst I agree that much of the above is fair comment, I should like to add that we are all conditioned by our own experiences - which may be at odds with those of the writers above,

..... I don't know why people like me bother to Train as Investigators....

Large Denomination notes can be confused , what ever happened to Verbal Interaction to solve a problem ??

A Russia woman tried to communicate with a Thai woman - that's what happened. Most Russians cannot speak Thai or English, and most 7Eleven staff cannot speak English or Russian.

That's a difficult situation. I'm surprised as a trained investigator you didn't consider this. Perhaps it is time to go back to school.smile.png

Don't have to be insulting . I don't speak much Russian or Thai but have been able to make myself understood in several different circumstances.

But of course you know absolutely everything so we bow to such superior all knowing over every incident involving Language counter cultures in Pattaya.

Sorry, but whether or not a mistake was made or even if the clerk did try and cheat these poor girls, how is breaking a bottle over a clerks head in any way justified ? If you have a dispute you call the authorities, you don't take the law into your own hands and assault someone

I think the Thai authorities have stopped giving the Russians a free pass just because they can't speak Thai or English and are starting to treat them the same way other foreigners are treated here

Picture reminds me of the girl who caused the accident that killed 7 people on the Bangkok toll way, the only thing that seems to matter is texting.........

Edited by Langsuan Man

Sorry, but whether or not a mistake was made or even if the clerk did try and cheat these poor girls, how is breaking a bottle over a clerks head in any way justified ? If you have a dispute you call the authorities, you don't take the law into your own hands and assault someone

I think the Thai authorities have stopped giving the Russians a free pass just because they can't speak Thai or English and are starting to treat them the same way other foreigners are treated here

Picture reminds me of the girl who caused the accident that killed 7 people on the Bangkok toll way, the only thing that seems to matter is texting.........

Not only have that stopped giving them a free pass but a young Russian friend of mine that now lives in Pattaya tells me that the local jails have more than 50% russians in them.

Interesting comments but not arresting comments.

The 7-11 staff are overwhelmingly decent, honest and hard working. Also, being surrounded by their colleagues and having cctv, their actions are pretty much exemplary. Furthermore, a 7-11 job is a good job to hold onto. Moreover, the till system is accountable to each baht. Such a scam is not possible without complicit acceptance by all staff.

What we have are two Russians.

And that says it all.

They are where they belong. A Thai jail will offer little fear for a Russian. Perhaps deporting them would be the best option as a warning to other scum bags.

Interesting comments but not arresting comments.

The 7-11 staff are overwhelmingly decent, honest and hard working. Also, being surrounded by their colleagues and having cctv, their actions are pretty much exemplary. Furthermore, a 7-11 job is a good job to hold onto. Moreover, the till system is accountable to each baht. Such a scam is not possible without complicit acceptance by all staff.

What we have are two Russians.

And that says it all.

They are where they belong. A Thai jail will offer little fear for a Russian. Perhaps deporting them would be the best option as a warning to other scum bags.

As I previously said, but you didn't bother to read .............. you don't put scam money through the till.

Or alternatively, wait until someone checks the CCTV.

Edited by Rimmer
Racist slur

I can second that,

I to got sometimes also in 7/11 short changed, but they usual try to make it look as an honest mistake

and did not insist that they are in the right.

Short complain and I always got my money back.

Maybe, the Russians got lost in translation and the incident happened in a rage. Right or wrong, I hope the camera footage show something useful.

What is the problem I have lived in Thailand for Ten years and have NEVER been ripped off either at 7/11 or petrol stations etc.

What am I doing wrong do I not look rich/drunk enough !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or+

They rip you off, so well and professional, you not even recognize it! tongue.png

A Thai jail will offer little fear for a Russian. Perhaps deporting them would be the best option as a warning to other scum bags.

Are you serious? They don't care about being locked up in a Thai prison? How did you come to that conclusion?

• Like 1