American Podiatrist Killed By Motorcycle Hit-And-Run In Bangkok

webfact

American podiatrist killed by motorcycle hit-and-run in Bangkok

sur.jpeg

Dr. Ian Furness of Fon du Lac, Wisconsin

BANGKOK: -- A well-known American foot and ankle surgeon was hit and killed by a motorcycle on the streets of Bangkok recently.

Dr. Ian Furness, from Wisconsin, was vacationing in Bangkok and walking down a street on Nov. 23 when he was hit by a hit-and-run motorcycle, according to the Fon du Lac Reporter.

Furness founded the Family Foot Clinic in Fon du Lac, Wisconsin in 1984.

According to the clinic’s website, Furness graduated from Marquette University and earned a doctorate in 1980 from the Illinois College of Podiatric Medicine in Chicago.

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...run-in-bangkok/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-11-30

footer_n.gif

So did this occur on a road or pavement?

I had exactly the same thought when I read the headline, I've had to dodge so many motorcycle taxis in the Sukhamvit road area because the roads are full and they can't be bothered waiting for a red light to change.

Edited by sandrabbit

Not such a stupid question...pavement or road. It is bad enough when they are on the pavement just poodling along...but I've seen them going waaay too fast, laughing at the farang who had to jump out of their way. I would dearly love to just pull them off their bikes but knowing the Thais..... one day when I least expect it ...baam !

We see the motorcycle death toll and indeed incompetent drivers are responsible for many, yet it is probably the incompetent riders who are responsible for the greater amount. There are many things to like about Thailand but the roads are not one of them, amazing how quickly a life can be snubbed out by anothers abject stupidity and often indifference. Many times on walks I have had bikes zoom past me from behind by centimeters, I now walk head on to them with an umbrella pointed at head height, seems to keep them at a fair distance now.

podiatrist ? i never heard of this before and thougt it was a collector of iphones or the like ..........doh!

So you learnt something today, good for you! thumbsup.gif

As so many have already said, it would be good to know if it was crossing a road or on the pavement. Not that it will make any difference to the deceased or his family. RIP.

There's an ongoing trend in Thailand tourism areas.

If tourists can't speak Thai, don't know sh*£** about this country, if they are on the open street in unprotected areas... Kill them, or poison them, bribe money out of their pockets, while they are vulnerable.

Edited by MaxLee

podiatrist ? i never heard of this before and thougt it was a collector of iphones or the like ..........doh!

So you learnt something today, good for you! thumbsup.gif

As so many have already said, it would be good to know if it was crossing a road or on the pavement. Not that it will make any difference to the deceased or his family. RIP.

By pavement, I suppose everyone means Side walk.................no where else on earth do I look both ways while walking on the sidewalks but Bangkok - saw a stream of motorbikes (won't distinguish them by nameing them motorcycles) on the sidewalk on Wireless -almost got hit severaltimes and yelled out loud "Where is a cop when you need them?? then out iof the blue, a motorcycle cop came buzzing by On The Sidewalk.......right behind all the law breakers

TIT

My understanding is that it is legal for somebody on a motorbike to use the pavement if the roads are busy. TIT.

Motorbike taxi guy once told me it's a 400THB fine. It's against the law but like most traffic laws here just hot enforced.