Who Enjoys Loy Kratong?

Yabiaomer

So, Loy Kratong is over and I'm not impressed.

For 3 days and 3 nights It felt like CM is a war zone. Not to mention the week

before.

A local friend, a woman, when asked how did she celebrate LK told me "I closed

the windows, put earplugs and went to sleep". So, I said, you did not go out? and she said

"No, Thai people know it's dangerous".

So, I'm asking you: Who enjoys Loy Kratong?

and as exit question: Don't Thai people care about their children? They don't care

that for 3 nights their children won't be able to sleep?

Help me, I'm confused.

Edited by Yabiaomer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy Loi Krathong. I enjoyed watching the children having fun. It is all a state of mind. Some people enjoy all aspects of life and others prefer to be miserable. It's all about choices. Yes, it is dangerous, but danger is a way of life for the Thais. Have you noticed how they drive or ride motorbikes?

• Like 1

Loy Kratong used to be way, WAY worse as far as being dangerous and as far as loud noise goes. The government has really cracked down on the fireworks since I first got here. I am not a big fan, but the Thais like it and it does not bother me much these days. The traffic during parades is miserable, but, on the other hand, the decorations around town are very nice.

Judging by the lack of interest on the TV board over the last 3 or 4 days; it appears to me that something has being going on to relieve "internet boredom"

So despite the fact that no one likes it, for sure we have all participated at one point or another.....roll on Songran...NOT

We were out and about on the night of the 28th. We ate out and walked from Rachadamoen to Art Cafe area then to the night bazaar. People were setting off balloons and enjoying the experience. There were some dangerous takeoffs, but mostly the liftoffs went smoothly. The firecrackers, cherry bomb sounding things and gun-like things that shoot off firecrackers were interesting. We did make some detours when areas sounded too loud. We stopped in at Boy Blues Bar and listened to blues, watched the balloons and fireworks. It was a nice place to be that night. We didn't float a kratong though, but based on what we saw, maybe next year? It's been about 10 years since we last did that. So we enjoyed Loy Kratong - well at least one night of it.

I enjoy Loi Krathong. I enjoyed watching the children having fun. It is all a state of mind. Some people enjoy all aspects of life and others prefer to be miserable. It's all about choices. Yes, it is dangerous, but danger is a way of life for the Thais. Have you noticed how they drive or ride motorbikes?

X2

Enjoyed it very much this year!

I enjoyed the Loy Kratong

It was an experience, being my first one.

I had a great view from the riverside Guest house where i stay.

I saw all the various areas where the lanterns were let off.

Plus the river market restaurant where the fireworks were set on.

It was a fantastic experience.

The Fireworks all night, well that was to be expected.

Yes good earplugs. will help.

Maybe a few drinks to make you sleep,

Sorry could not help but say that.

Not sure if i want to see every year.

I thought it was ok, a LOT calmer than previous years, actually quite relaxed enjoyable evening.

I don't quite get it when people moan about Loy Kratong and Songkran.....(not that the OP is moaning).....they add a bit of 'excitement' to CM.

How dull do you have to be not to enjoy either of the festivals? If you don't like either, don't go!

I had a ball, but then I like most busy festivals and events. Chaos is my friend. I enjoy the walk to dtà-làat Thanin through the wild morning traffic in Chang Phueak, and then ensuing bedlam in the market itself. I loved Songkran and I'm looking forward to the next edition along with the noise, clogged sopping streets and more smiling faces per square meter than I've ever seen anywhere in my life. One of the reasons I love Thailand is the lack of nanny state controls. We have the freedom to actually go outside and play without worrying about the insurance company's approval or the complaining old carp's disapproval. I am a full participant in the events around me and from that I gain great joy. Yes, you take your chances now and then but, life is not necessarily a safe place. Remember, no one gets out alive so you might as well enjoy your time while your here.

Actually one year I had two nice Roman candles and a security agent stopped me from letting the second one off on the Narawat bridge. Bummer

I think that slowly but surely the Western nanny state is sneaking in to Thailand. A Thai effort to please the expats who only knew nanny states and really never had the joy of enjoying life with out first taking a list of precautions designed to take the risk out of it.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 2

This was my first Loi Krathong experience and hopefully will be my last. Judging from other posts, my location made it a miserable experience. For several days, there was a vendor selling fireworks across the street from my building and groups of young Thais would gather, hurling missiles overhead. This went on far into the night(s) and the explosions were non-stop and LOUD. But I did devise a good noise reduction system--two earplugs in each ear. The inner earplug was foam and the outer one was wax, molding it to seal the ear canal. Very effective. Several times I prematurely removed the earplugs, thinking the clamor had ended because it was so quiet.

I like my neighborhood, near Wat Chang Kien, but intend to leave the area during the next Loi Krathong and probably Songkran too. A friend who has lived in Northern Thailand for over 30 years told me his first Loi Krathong celebrations, in Lampang, were quiet spiritual affairs so the firecrackers may be a relatively recent addition.

I know how you feel, OP.

I had a plan. And I stuck to it.

First of all, it's good fun to go to bars with a reasonable camera and take loads of pictures of girls dressed in full Lanna regalia, then post the best ones on girl's Facebook timelines.

Of course, any festivity in Chiang Mai is required by law to last a minimum of three days, so that left a separate night to Loy with the wife and kids, after the hangover subsided. The trick here is to find a tranquil place to Loy, on a river or stream. I'm normally opposed to not disclosing good venues due to the risk of spoiling them when it becomes widely known, but in this case I'm making an exception. Let's just say that there exists a temple on the ping river where only a handful of people go, and where you don't get the Southern Israel experience in terms of flying missiles.

This is the spot; that's the Ping river.

post-64232-0-70365800-1354347292_thumb.j

Of course we do the hot air balloon thing too; I really like those, they're beautiful. I never get bored looking at them.

post-64232-0-09598400-1354347358_thumb.j

So you're not impressed?

Well, maybe we and the Thais are not impressed by you either? If you cannot understand the importance of this celebration to this country and cannot enjoy it, what exactly are you here for? I went all around CM on a motorbike on the 28th and had absolutely no problems. Great crowds by the river and lots of people at the Gate area too. Lots of people enjoying themselves! Grumpy old white man indeed.

You're well beyond confused; a padded room might suit you very well.

Edited by TheVicar
  • Like 1

Only 1 day in Pattaya,and yes, i enjoyed being on the beach for a couple of hours,first time since last Kratong

Do you mean you were in Pattaya only one day or that Loy Kratong was one day? Last year it was nearly a whole week of water throwing and noise down there.

Only 1 day in Pattaya,and yes, i enjoyed being on the beach for a couple of hours,first time since last Kratong

Do you mean you were in Pattaya only one day or that Loy Kratong was one day? Last year it was nearly a whole week of water throwing and noise down there.

All the more reason to come to Chiang Mai we celebrate Songkhran in April and don't try to mix it in with Loi Krathong.

• Like 1

Good morning. Go get some coffee, then re-read the topic. ;)

Enjoyed it with the wife.

One thing I will say we were in some very large crowds.

One being the mass release at Maejo ChiangMai

on the 23rd I think it was? Another being the big night on the 28th

at the Ping River near the US consulate

Anyway, even with all the people, fireworks,lanterns, crowds

we never saw one altercation or even angry words exchanged in all the traffic

or crowds walking. When events this large are held in the US you will likely see a fight break out.

Or folks yelling at one another in the traffic etc.

But this was very nice. Folks seemed polite

Looking forward to next year.

• Like 2