Who Enjoys Loy Kratong?

Yabiaomer

Looks familiar. What's his name?

It used to be "Frank" but now it's "Francene"

I had an afternoon nap and woke up to the explosions. I didn't know if I was in Syria or Baghdad. Thankfully, it was good old Chiang Mai.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Loy Kratong's the best festival here. Years ago, used to enjoy the mayhem down near the US consulate, or a bit quieter directly across the river. The last few years, float our kratongs on our fish pond, out in the sticks, send a few lanterns up, fireworks etc. Next year, as the youngest boy gets a bit older, we'll probably head back to the Ping but south of town where, hopefuly it's not so full on as in the city.

First all, I think I have the right to be critical, and if some fine souls in this forum disagree, and in addition, tell me to get out of here, than I have the same for them. I did not start this topic with the intention of criticizing the whole Thai culture. If some in this forum saw it in my post, then they should go back to school for basic english class. For about a week, and especially for the 3 days of Loy Kratong, it was a noisy war zone here for 24 hours. I DON"T LIKE IT. and I wonder if the Thai people like it, because as I wrote, it was a Thai woman who told me she won't go out because it's dangerous. This is the gist of my post.

If you understand this argument, you're welcome to give me your humble opinion,. If, as some of you, you don't understand what I wrote and asked, put earplugs to both your ears and elsewhere. Enjoy the weekend, and thanks to those who wrote about their opinion, even if it's different than mine.

My Nephew arrived on the 28th so I took him out,bought an arm full of rockets and headed for the small walk-over bridge, it was seriously crazy there. We joined in the mayhem by firing our rockets over top of the tourist cruise boats plying the river...one exploding just meters ahead of the bow!......ah, Thailand, fun and stupidity go hand in hand.

First all, I think I have the right to be critical, and if some fine souls in this forum disagree, and in addition, tell me to get out of here, than I have the same for them. I did not start this topic with the intention of criticizing the whole Thai culture. If some in this forum saw it in my post, then they should go back to school for basic english class. For about a week, and especially for the 3 days of Loy Kratong, it was a noisy war zone here for 24 hours. I DON"T LIKE IT. and I wonder if the Thai people like it, because as I wrote, it was a Thai woman who told me she won't go out because it's dangerous. This is the gist of my post.

If you understand this argument, you're welcome to give me your humble opinion,. If, as some of you, you don't understand what I wrote and asked, put earplugs to both your ears and elsewhere. Enjoy the weekend, and thanks to those who wrote about their opinion, even if it's different than mine.

Dont start getting upset becasue we have all conveyed our experiences, even if they did involve ear plugs; the forum is here for discussion and debate and you opened this up...............and finished with Help me, I'm confused.

are you still confused? at least you have a year to plan your move.

• Like 1

Oh you poor thing. Just little misunderstood you. And hiding your feelings and expressing them through the straw woman of a Thai woman who allegedly doesn't like the holiday. How about the millions who do, have you considered them? Shouldn't that answer your question? You argument sucks as much as you undoubtedly do. YOU DON'T LIKE IT! How sad! If the noise is too much for you, go to your padded room.

Edited by TheVicar
  • Like 2

I think you are taking the answers too personal, Yabiaomer. Disregard any nasty comments by anyone who says them on any topic. That is their problem, not yours. You are entitled to your opinion just as others are entitled to theirs. There are always more than one way to look at any subject.

Oh you poor thing. Just little misunderstood you. And hiding your feelings and expressing them through the straw woman of a Thai woman who allegedly doesn't like the holiday. How about the millions who do, have you considered them? Shouldn't that answer your question? You argument sucks as much as you undoubtedly do. YOU DON'T LIKE IT! How sad! If the noise is too much for you, go to your padded room.

That is a little harsh, TheVicar. He is entitled to his sad opinion just as you are entitled to yours. Personally, I enjoy everything in life and can find the good in everything. That way I am always happy by choice.

I live in the same neighborhood as the OP (near Wat Chang Kian) and I can verify that in this area, the bombs that rattle windows, and the other misc. noisemaking seems to go on day and night for days anytime there is a festival, even one of minor importance.

There is a technical college not far away, maybe this explains things.

Really some of it approaches what could be termed autistic behaviour.

Pre-teen and teen boys repeatedly throwing ping pong bombs on pavements at synchronized intervals. Boom........Boom......Boom......Boom.....ad infinitum ad nauseum.

Really I don't mind festivities and fireworks. But not at 3 AM, and 4 AM, and 5 AM......

I've made more than a little noise in my life, and don't mind little boys being little boys. I was one once myself.

But my mother would have twisted my ear off and sent me to bed without supper had I carried on like the little miscreants in this neighborhood do.....tongue.png

That is a little harsh, TheVicar. He is entitled to his sad opinion just as you are entitled to yours. Personally, I enjoy everything in life and can find the good in everything. That way I am always happy by choice.

Well I was going to click on the like that. After considering it I thought that would be an understatement.

There is a lot of wisdom in your reply.wai2.gif

I gave it a pass this year. Seems most of the Thais I know did too. I think for them, it was because it fell in the middle of the week this year and they had to get up and go to work. For me it was way too commercialized. I saw a busload of elderly farang people unload; every one of them with a krathong in their hands. Organized kinda thing... I dunno... We did watch one of the parades on WETV Chiang Mai channel one night. One thing I noticed was that there were too many transvestites and that was a big turn off. What happened to all the lovely ladies?

The one positive thing I noticed was that the firecrackers stopped around 3:00 each morning this year and didn't start again until about 9:30. Over the 5 years past, they were literally 24 hours and our animals were scared to death.

I'd give it a go again another year as I do enjoy it usually. I did get in a few khom loy with my kid as he enjoys that.

I live in the same neighborhood as the OP (near Wat Chang Kian) and I can verify that in this area, the bombs that rattle windows, and the other misc. noisemaking seems to go on day and night for days anytime there is a festival, even one of minor importance.

There is a technical college not far away, maybe this explains things.

Really some of it approaches what could be termed autistic behaviour.

Pre-teen and teen boys repeatedly throwing ping pong bombs on pavements at synchronized intervals. Boom........Boom......Boom......Boom.....ad infinitum ad nauseum.

Really I don't mind festivities and fireworks. But not at 3 AM, and 4 AM, and 5 AM......

I've made more than a little noise in my life, and don't mind little boys being little boys. I was one once myself.

But my mother would have twisted my ear off and sent me to bed without supper had I carried on like the little miscreants in this neighborhood do.....tongue.png

And again, it can be a specific problem for certain people depending on where they live. If I had a pet dog then I would be sorry for it hiding somewhere to get away from the excessive sound. And, as Mcgriffith pointed out it can be worse in some areas than others. Also, if I had a young baby who kept getting awoken I would be pissed off.

In response to the various comments, I think we have to separate two very different things here:

(1) Carnival--type happenings which are noisy, crowded, undisciplined, enjoyably chaotic, devoted to merriment, usually accompanied by liberal measures of alcohol, plenty of food, and occasionally some rowdy behaviour.This appeals mainly to younger people and children. It is fun, and it is fine.

(2) Meaningful traditional festivals which have strong aesthetic appeal, grace and beauty. Celebrations which allow people to express themselves and their feelings in beautfully dignified ways. Events which allow friends and families to bond together in peace and harmony.

The problem happens when the cheap and primitive ingredients of the first begin to destroy the beauty and the dignity of the second.

--This, unfortunately, has happened both to Songkran, and to Loy Krathong.

Concerned voices about this collapse in values have been raised many times, and mine will certainly not be the last.

Instead, they will inevitably be drowned out by the endless, meaningless explosions of tens of thousands of firecrackers.

Alas, for Thai culture.

• Like 1

I think you are taking the answers too personal, Yabiaomer. Disregard any nasty comments by anyone who says them on any topic. That is their problem, not yours. You are entitled to your opinion just as others are entitled to theirs. There are always more than one way to look at any subject.

Could be Rene123. I was not pissed off by those who have a different opinion, I welcome any opinion. And Maybe I'd also like to point to the forum and it's owners that they let too many empty brain members to take part in the discussions. I wonder if there is a way to block them like in FB, or Goole+ (from my side)?

I enjoyed Loy Kratong but some of the firework safety is severely lacking. I went to the Mae Jo balloon launch and my son narrowly missed having a rocket fly into his face by a middle aged man who thought it hilarious when the rocket went sideways and not upwards.I had read a warning regarding firecrackers but saw none, just this one stupid person, but one can sometimes be more than enough.I will have to think again where I take my children. I read about one man killed, another lost both legs and and a 3rd one leg in a home-made firework incident that turned out tragic.It was reported that 55 people have so far been injured after playing with fireworks. Most of the injured suffered from burns to the hands and face. Loy Krathong has also seen 113 people injured in traffic accidents (but I don't know what a normal day is), and 203 people injured in other accidents related to the festival.

Like a previous poster I don't want a nanny state but more regard for safety would be appreciated but unlikely to happen. Crowds and noise go hand in hand with festivals and fun so I have no complaint about these, I suggest those who can't cope stay at home and wear ear-plugs.

I enjoyed Loy Kratong but some of the firework safety is severely lacking. I went to the Mae Jo balloon launch and my son narrowly missed having a rocket fly into his face by a middle aged man who thought it hilarious when the rocket went sideways and not upwards.I had read a warning regarding firecrackers but saw none, just this one stupid person, but one can sometimes be more than enough.I will have to think again where I take my children. I read about one man killed, another lost both legs and and a 3rd one leg in a home-made firework incident that turned out tragic.It was reported that 55 people have so far been injured after playing with fireworks. Most of the injured suffered from burns to the hands and face. Loy Krathong has also seen 113 people injured in traffic accidents (but I don't know what a normal day is), and 203 people injured in other accidents related to the festival.

Like a previous poster I don't want a nanny state but more regard for safety would be appreciated but unlikely to happen. Crowds and noise go hand in hand with festivals and fun so I have no complaint about these, I suggest those who can't cope stay at home and wear ear-plugs. Apologies for the font issue.

Only 1 day in Pattaya,and yes, i enjoyed being on the beach for a couple of hours,first time since last Kratong

Do you mean you were in Pattaya only one day or that Loy Kratong was one day? Last year it was nearly a whole week of water throwing and noise down there.

Good morning. Go get some coffee, then re-read the topic. wink.png

Yup, I should have had that coffee before I confused one festival with another. Opps.

I enjoyed Loy Kratong but some of the firework safety is severely lacking. I went to the Mae Jo balloon launch and my son narrowly missed having a rocket fly into his face by a middle aged man who thought it hilarious when the rocket went sideways and not upwards.I had read a warning regarding firecrackers but saw none, just this one stupid person, but one can sometimes be more than enough.I will have to think again where I take my children. I read about one man killed, another lost both legs and and a 3rd one leg in a home-made firework incident that turned out tragic.

You should know better than to take a child to the MaeJoe event.

It's a 'trampling' disaster waiting to happen.

The rocket should be the least of your concerns.

I hate Christmas and new year and find them much more noisy and dangerous than any Thai festival.

Yeah you are a farang and you critisize loy khratong. I hope to see you critisizing crazy farang in new year in Thailand. Drinking on the pavements, shirts off, shouting and spitting, peeing, puking, fighting on the streets, looking or talking every thai lady like a prostitute...like stray dogs broke their chains back home!

And this is same in our countries as well except we cant take our shirts off as it is cold.

I really cannot understand the OP here.

You come to Thailand and complain about the noise or their traditions?

Please consider your much more noisy and dangerous traditions first man!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

If you think only Farang's are upset about this year you are sadly mistaken. Seemed to be more that the usual amount of fights afterwards round my place east of Ping.

Timely piece in Citynews (combining electricity price posts and Loy Kratong)

Loy Kratong used as a defence for murder ?

http://www.chiangmai...ews.php?id=1138

Edited by mamborobert

Well I am bringing out a party of nine to celebrate next years LK and my 65th birthday. I am hoping the hot air balloon event will also be on again at this time. Every year we also come to CM for the New Year fireworks - buy a heap and have a great time along the river. I like the slightly risky adge to the event - although I do insist on everyone wearing safety glasses. I have never seen a problem which is more than I can say about New Year in perth (West Oz) where the crowd behaviour can be a disgrace with drunken brawles and road rage very obvious.

Perth boy myself. Over the years a lot of changes in skyshow, no drinking areas and people now have to set up very early in the day, and traffic is a nightmare getting home. Would not even consider going there now, let alone take my family. Much prefer CM...as can wander down quite easily but a slight wait for launching floats, but already have some no drinking areas (questionably policed) and a bit of problem with traffic (more people driving through crowds than issue of getting home). As said two big brawls with maybe 8 adolescents outside my place, police called to one, but all in all a good night/s.

Edited by mamborobert

Lok Kratong is just how it is, similar to Songkran, and other reason to party. It has gotten a lot quieter though, and the floating lantern didn't have the string of bangers attached like last year.

To bring a big contrast, went to a bar by the river on friday, there were family and couples still letting go of their kratong with silent prayers and wishes on the bank, and yet not even 100, away there're pub blasting music and a crowd of drinkers enjoying a totally different side of thing.