Ceiling Fan On Ceiling

nullx8

For the new house i decided to get a ceiling fan,

Tought, done.

But today i realized the ceiling is covered with gipsum (holds about 60 of air till the concrete shows)

Can anyone recoment something or someone to getthat installed properly.

I dont want the thing to crash down and also dont want it shakes the whole ceiling all day.

Any ideas ?

Edited by nullx8

Many Thais actually hate and are scared of the ceiling fans ... one fell on my gf at a restaurant ... hence their little application in Thailand.

You can't mount then on a plaster ceiling without a timber frame support behind them.

Consider a wall mounted fan with a remote?

post-104736-0-95910000-1354349374_thumb.

Maybe better in the Building Forum?

EDIT ... added photo

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

The only safe and secure way is to make up some steel brackets and bolt them to the concrete

ceiling, the other end of the brackets would come level to the gypsum ceiling, then bolt the fan through

the gypsum and on to the steel bracket.

• Like 1

All you need to do is find the ceiling studs which is what the gypsum is screwed or nailed to. Easy. It has to be screwed to that.

You dont have to make up any special frames.

Piece of cake!

Many Thais actually hate and are scared of the ceiling fans ...

Well i'm not Thai, so lucky i think before i mount something too heavy somewhere i know the structure does not support it.

Thats the reason for this thread, wanted to shortcut, asking maybe someone know someone/someway to actually do that :)

I'm aware there is somestructure required, the big question is, who can do that without destroying the whole house. :)

Well i'm not Thai, so lucky i think before i mount something too heavy somewhere i know the structure does not support it.

Thats the reason for this thread, wanted to shortcut, asking maybe someone know someone/someway to actually do that smile.png

I'm aware there is somestructure required, the big question is, who can do that without destroying the whole house. smile.png

I'm scared of them as one knocked me out once. I was drunk and jumped on my bed forgetting about it. I guess you don't do that though. Shouldn't have bought it without looking at the ceiling first.

We have three oscillating type ceiling fans supported by metal straps resting on suspended steel gyproc ceiling....very noisy due to the drum effect and a bitch to keep clean..... have one that crapped out...will seal hole in ceiling and stay with floor or maybe wall models as the others inevitably will go tits up....live and learn..smile.png

You've already received info about fixing the fan.

On another note, if you decide to fix a ceiling fan, I would not advise getting a fan and light in one unit. You will tend to sit where you get the better effect from the fan, light will attract insects and the fan will blow the insects down into your hair, your food, your beer.

Always mount fans and lights away from each other.

I will always prefer wall mounted fans. Heat rises and is trapped at the ceiling, then the ceiling fan will blow hot air down on you.

• Like 2

Thats the reason for this thread, wanted to shortcut, asking maybe someone know someone/someway to actually do that smile.png

I'm aware there is somestructure required, the big question is, who can do that without destroying the whole house. smile.png

Actually I'm a sparkie by trade ... so have fitted more then the odd ceiling fan ... whistling.gif

It's the #1 request by friends who 'discover' your trade ... next is that extra power point!

So ... it does depend on what type of ceiling you currently have ... as there are so many.

Is it a 'false ceiling' with the panels suspended by some 'T' (upsidedown) metal channel?

What ceiling you have will really determine the solution to your question.

If your heart is still set on buying/installing a ceiling fan, have a read of this topic in the Housing Forum ... ceiling-fans-what-brand

As loong (and I) suggested above ... wall mounted fans really are the acceptable solution (to all) in Thailand ... but 'up to you' ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

All you need to do is find the ceiling studs which is what the gypsum is screwed or nailed to. Easy. It has to be screwed to that.

Piece of cake!

All houses are different in every country. The roofs in Thai house's are far from the typical Australian home. Ive installed my fair share of ceiling fans and i can assure you most thai builders hang there ceilings like a false wall off a metal frame strung to the ceiling.

Actually I'm a sparkie by trade ... so have fitted more then the odd ceiling fan ...

Finally something usefull ;)

I have bought one already, and i dont want a wall or standing fan for multiple reasons.

The cealing itself seems to be mounted properly, but i do not want to mount it there for also serval reasons.

Such as:

- i did not install the ceiling myself, and its hard to look under it, and i dont like suprises left by thai-engineers ;)

- the fan mounted straight to the ceiling will generate vibrations and i do not want to hear the device in the while house.

And so on.

So the idea is to simply mount something solid to the real ceiling (concrete plate) which reaches almost the ceiling and mount it there.

By this way the hole will be covered without me doing anew paint-job and i have the required security and no noise.

The problem is (and this is the only thing i did not check before) the ceiling has 60cm distance.

Andthat is alot. Its also "finished" apears as one piece.

Some pics attached.

post-10896-0-61960100-1354363653_thumb.j

post-10896-0-15548900-1354363671_thumb.j

If you're attaching to concrete, then a plate, studded to the concrete, would make a good overhead attachment. A hook might be welded to the plate. If you have any steel supports, then you could attach a plate (with hook) to that. Use another hook on the top end of the vertical shaft of the fan. From the first hook, drop a plumb bob to the gypsum ceiling, mark it and drill a hole of sufficient diameter. Ease shaft up through the gypsum and attach it hook to hook. Then attach fan.

Next, surround the shaft where it passes through the gypsum with a silicone sealant and allow this to set. Starting the fan on "low", check for vibration. If you note vibration, switch off fan and then, turning the fan by hand, measure the distance (always at the same place) between gypsum ceiling and tip of fan blade. Repeat with the other two blades, bending the blades up or down to match the average measurement. You might need to do this a couple of times to get the fan balanced. After that, there should be no problems.

This little trick comes as a result of balancing the flight of helicopter rotor blades way back when.

You can, of course, cut the length of the vertical fan support shaft to your require length.

Edited by richardjm65
  • Like 1

Actually I'm a sparkie by trade ... so have fitted more then the odd ceiling fan ... whistling.gif

It's the #1 request by friends who 'discover' your trade ... next is that extra power point!

So ... it does depend on what type of ceiling you currently have ... as there are so many.

Is it a 'false ceiling' with the panels suspended by some 'T' (upsidedown) metal channel?

What ceiling you have will really determine the solution to your question.

If your heart is still set on buying/installing a ceiling fan, have a read of this topic in the Housing Forum ... ceiling-fans-what-brand

As loong (and I) suggested above ... wall mounted fans really are the acceptable solution (to all) in Thailand ... but 'up to you' ... rolleyes.gif

Haha, im a Gyprocker by trade and its easy enough to fix a fan to metal 'rondo' ceiling frames or timber frames.

David this guy should just pay a sparky to fit it. There is I guarantee enough whatever the fixing point may be in his ceiling space to fix a fan. His problem would be also getting a cable there to supply power more so than a fixing point for the fan.

Op, find an electrician. If your asking us where do I fix a fan to a ceiling then you have no hope sorry.

• Like 1

If you're attaching to concrete, then a plate, studded to the concrete, would make a good overhead attachment. A hook might be welded to the plate. If you have any steel supports, then you could attach a plate (with hook) to that. Use another hook on the top end of the vertical shaft of the fan. From the first hook, drop a plumb bob to the gypsum ceiling, mark it and drill a hole of sufficient diameter. Ease shaft up through the gypsum and attach it hook to hook. Then attach fan.

Next, surround the shaft where it passes through the gypsum with a silicone sealant and allow this to set. Starting the fan on "low", check for vibration. If you note vibration, switch off fan and then, turning the fan by hand, measure the distance (always at the same place) between gypsum ceiling and tip of fan blade. Repeat with the other two blades, bending the blades up or down to match the average measurement. You might need to do this a couple of times to get the fan balanced. After that, there should be no problems.

This little trick comes as a result of balancing the flight of helicopter rotor blades way back when.

You can, of course, cut the length of the vertical fan support shaft to your require length.

The correct answer, the fan should have come with a shaft, the shaft will be attached to the roof usually by chain, this will reach the height of the false ceiling, secured by a base plate.

No need for sparkies, I have no idea what a gyprocker tradesman is, is it the same as a carpenter or a joiner?

Can you access the ceiling space? If you can, add a wood brace for a wood frame, or a steel brace for a steel frame. Place brace where you want to place the “fan hook”. Then screw/bolt “fan hook” into brace. Safe, simple. If you can stand on the brace its good. If you fall through the ceiling start again. If the “fan hook” can take the weight of you hanging on, it’s good. If you pull it out start again. If you can't access the ceiling space then you'll have cabling problems and beam location problems, can be done but it’s a valid "give up"

You need to hire a team of 15 Thai builders to come to your house to look at it.Buy them lots of beer and Lao Khao and after a week or two they will decide that the best place to fix it is of course on the backs of a couple of your house geckos,job done!

• Like 1

From your picture I can see that there are metal studs that support the drywall ceiling. the metal studs are strong enough to support the weight of the drywall ceiling, so they strong enough to support a cooling fan.

Simply screw a wide metal stud, bridging two of the drywall supporting metal studs,(if you dont have a wide metal stud , use two of the same narrow metal studs they used to frame your ceiling) and on this bridging metal stud or studs, mount your ceiling fan electrical box.You can use self tapping screws to do that.

post-60134-0-19916000-1354394519_thumb.j

• Like 1

In Thailand, gypsum ceilings are hung on light weight fro,es dangling on wires from the trusses. As apposed in the many western countries where the gypsum is attached to solid timber frames. You need to have a steel frame welded up and bolted onto something solid, in a condo, that would be the concrete " floor " above the ceiling. I recommend going the option that "David" suggested above of wall mounted fans, a decent one is about 1300B.

Piece of cake!

All houses are different in every country. The roofs in Thai house's are far from the typical Australian home. Ive installed my fair share of ceiling fans and i can assure you most thai builders hang there ceilings like a false wall off a metal frame strung to the ceiling.

I can post you pics of how they built our house in Thailand if you like?

The ceiling frames you are talking about are used worldwide. Its my job here in Australia, and its how they did our house in Thailand. Same same, not different. Its called suspended ceilings. Fixing a fan to it is a matter of the type of screws used. The metal studs are 600mm apart .The screw type I think is called a butterfly head. When its screwed in, the thread end opens up like wings and creates a solid fixing.

I can tell by how the op has asked for help he needs to go find someone to help him or next he will be asking how do I fix holes.

Edited by krisb

I would not advise getting a fan and light in one unit. You will tend to sit where you get the better effect from the fan, light will attract insects and the fan will blow the insects down into your hair, your food, your beer.

I will always prefer wall mounted fans. Heat rises and is trapped at the ceiling, then the ceiling fan will blow hot air down on you.

Just reverse the direction of rotation of your ceiling fan, as I do. They have a little switch for this purpose.

Ceiling fans provide a much more even flow of air than wall fans do. I use a ceiling fan on minimum speed with my air-conditioning to ensure a pleasant temperature throughout the room.

I would not advise getting a fan and light in one unit. You will tend to sit where you get the better effect from the fan, light will attract insects and the fan will blow the insects down into your hair, your food, your beer.

Just reverse the direction of rotation of your ceiling fan, as I do. They have a little switch for this purpose.

Ceiling fans provide a much more even flow of air than wall fans do. I use a ceiling fan on minimum speed with my air-conditioning to ensure a pleasant temperature throughout the room.

Different applications and different uses for all ... but just so that you know ... that 'little switch' which you refer to is used in cooler climates to run the fan in Winter!

post-104736-0-82031700-1354413447_thumb.

I know it seems contrary to logic to run the fan in winter, but remember that hot air rises and if the fan is switched on in reverse (slowly) then it gentle circulates the rising warm air around the room.

Believe it or not ... tongue.png