Daily Allowance In Thailand

Finally got a job in Bangkok, in a subsidiary of an european company. :o I had to accept a deal, which includes lots of travelling to China though. The deal is I either get my expenses in China paid or a daily allowance for the travel. Does anybody know, if there is anyhting like a tax-free "daily allowance" in use in Thailand? This is the practise in some european countries, but I don't have a clue about Thailand -neither has my future boss.

Thanks.

Guest IT Manager

The UN uses from memory, so don't hold me to it, $250 USD per deum, I think is the spelling and it covers what they and you reckon it will cost for accommodation, food, entertainment etc. I think there is a further payment for flights ets but the per deum is for normal living stuff.

Maybe someone else will have abetter idea. Try PMing serge and ask him, he might have done a bit of that sort of stuff.

To my knowledge

A per-diem is a tax free daily living away from home allowance, this usually doesn't include accomodation, for which the company should pay in advance with a credit card or account.

I have spent the last x years working in various countries on expat status, I claim a daily rate which is taxable and a per-diem which is tax free. I have had projects that want me to claim my expenses back from them, this never works out in your favour so I will refuse when given the Ts and Cs.

Whether Thailand taxation system allows for a tax free per-diem I am not sure, but I would imagine it does.

Just for your info, I have had per-diem in the past ranging from US$75-150.

Hope it works out well sleepie (your not a very short guy by any chance are you?) :o

Thanks for your answers. Anything above 50 usd a day sounds very reasonable to me, if tax-free, since the hotels are anyway paid for and I don't plan to eat in expensive restaurants daily. I'll have to clear this with local hr people after arriving in Bangkok next week to figure out also the company policy.

and no, I'm not at least as short as the friend of Snow White .. :o