Cathay Probes ' Coffee Threat ' On Thaksin's Daughter

webfact

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attendant in 'coffee-throwing threat' leaves Cathay

HONG KONG, Dec 4, 2012 (AFP) - A flight attendant has left her job with Cathay Pacific after saying on Facebook that she wanted to throw coffee over ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra's daughter, the airline said Tuesday.

She had come under investigation for alleged misconduct after her Facebook comments, in which she reportedly said that she wanted to pour coffee over Paetongtarn Shinawatra, who she described as "the daughter of my enemy".

A spokeswoman for Cathay Pacific would not confirm whether the attendant, who the airline declined to identify, resigned or was sacked when contacted by AFP.

"We have investigated the matter thoroughly," Cathay said in a statement, adding that it confirmed the attendant's Facebook posting was unauthorised.

"We can also confirm that the cabin crew concerned is no longer an employee of the company," the statement added.

According to the South Chin Morning Post, the Thai stewardess had posted the original comments on her Facebook page after she had discovered Paetongtarn was on board a November 25 flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong.

On the Facebook post, she said she had told her flight manager: "I could not work knowing the daughter of my enemy was on the plane.

"I called my personal adviser asking if it would be all right to throw coffee at Paetongtarn, but was told that this could breach Hong Kong's laws," she reportedly wrote.

She added that she had been angry at "the failure" of an anti-government rally in Bangkok on November 24.

The SCMP and Thai media said that the attendant used the Facebook name Honey Lochanachai. Reports said she had worked for the airline for 24 years.

Thai media quoted Paetongtarn, one of Thaksin's three children, as saying she felt "uncomfortable" about the incident, which sparked a small protest by some 50 pro-Thaksin supporters outside Cathay's office in Bangkok on Monday.

She added that she had been visiting Hong Kong for work and to see her father, who was ousted in a military coup in 2006 and has been living abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption.

The long-running political crisis in Thailand recently saw its first major street protests against the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's younger sister, who is accused by her rivals of being a puppet for her fugitive brother.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-12-04

But if the situation were reversed, and some Red-Shirt supporter posted or did something similar, writing about another son/daughter of the amart-establishment, rather than someone in the 'S-clan', would there be equal condemnation or outrage ? I rather suspect not.

If you think a red airline hostess could say/do the same thing about Abhisit's kids without repercussion, you're completely and utterly wrong. Totally. You really couldn't be more wrong.

So why are people on here applauding this so called "brave" act. Would they be applauding so loudly if the roles and players reversed as above? And don't underestimate how stupid some of the people involved in these movements actually are. As people wrote about some of the language on the pro-yellow sites being "insane", I am sure that the language on the pro-red sites is hardly too choice also. Both sides are capable of doing extremely stupid things, so I would suggest that anyone or any group claiming this girl is heroic for publicity purposes considers the possible consequences.

The brave act would be declaring what she would have liked to do, but refrained from, I assume. Or is there some other act I missed?

Only after she she her supervisor though. If i remember, the supervisor reminded her that deliberately throwing coffee on someone is illegal.

Thank god for the supervisor, or by now we would have a Thai stewardess in jail in Hong Kong, the yellow come multi coloureds outside the Chinese Embassy, and Cathay Pacific stuck in the middle.

Now wouldn't that be an edifying event.

Seems the flight attendant has lost her perspective on things.

As I understand it, she has lost more than just her perspective.

From her FB page....favourite quote:

While it is clear that physically, we belong to the animal family, it is our behaviour that define our humanity, not the fact that we stand upright or have more developed brains.

I think George Orwell fried her brains.

Please don't tell me animal farm is her favourite book. That really would be something too much.. LOL

• Like 1

The thought police are on Thai Visa. Wanting to punish for our desired dreams or imagination not our acts. If we all were sacked for what we thought we would like to do to of some of our clients or others we would all be out of work. Not to mention we would have no flight attendants left or any ground staff. Lets face it we all at time would like to show are disdain for some people at some point. Luckily, crimes and negative thoughts dreamed of in the mind are not yet illegal and most people do not post them on the internet. Sorry yes we do.....or else Thai visa would have far smaller forums. .

• Like 1

Silly stupid girl just threw away a good job. Stupid, silly girl is going to REALLY be burned knowing that she did all this stupidity for nothing: the other (yellow) side is just as bad. Stupid silly girl is probably going to want to hang herself when she figures it all out. Hopefully she won't. Hopefully she'll just try to get another good job. One thing's for sure, I hope she doesn't find ME in the flight manifest and "spill" hot coffee or tea all over me after writing all this!!!

... which makes me wonder if she'll be allowed to get into the business of serving people on flights...

Afraid not....with 24 years in the company she is a mid-40 Thai flight attendant, not a young hottie, who, as a Senior Purser or First Class Purser (I'm assuming with years of service) was passed over for promotion to Inflight Service Manager at least once.

She reported to her ISM who, in turn, should have taken her off the flight. Unless the ISM did not take the remark seriously, which should be questioned also.

As far as her "personal advisor", well, that would be a call to her gay chinese bff Purser colleague working Door 2 who has a sniff more intelligence than other CX hosties! CX isn't hiring rocket scientists here, usually a high school diploma these days is all.

The mistake she made was in posting the passenger manifest. Now, the passenger manifest that the girls down the back get is handed to them (to the ISM) as they close up the doors and do a head count, so I can only assume that it was posted after the flight, or she is doing a lot of Facebooking when she should be working! Still, though, information like that is confidential and that is what she will have gotten sacked for and rightly so.

She can have her opinions. But Cathay will never have their employees back, remember the 49ers!?

• Like 1

Yes she has been punished for posting a manifest (correctly) & her thoughts (so what?). Now a PTP bigwig wants to get in on the action because the boss's daughter is all of a dither.

How many of us are thinking wouldn't it be nice to pour any liquid over her father, or worse? Her brother - another spoiled brat - posted equally stupid comments on Facebook but that's ok.

Wonder what the other sister has up her sleeve.

The thought police are on Thai Visa. Wanting to punish for our desired dreams or imagination not our acts. If we all were sacked for what we thought we would like to do to of some of our clients or others we would all be out of work. Not to mention we would have no flight attendants left or any ground staff. Lets face it we all at time would like to show are disdain for some people at some point. Luckily, crimes and negative thoughts dreamed of in the mind are not yet illegal and most people do not post them on the internet. Sorry yes we do.....or else Thai visa would have far smaller forums. .

You missed the bit about her posting details of the passenger list.

She should have been sacked for what she did, not what she wanted to do.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Sent from my HTC phone.

But, on terra firma, would any company keep an employee who expressed wanting to attack clients of a political persuasion. How about someone who objected to serving let alone threatening a republican, or democrat, or gay, or Moslem or Jewish.

I think it extremely unlikely that person would keep their job.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Cathay Pacific 'coffee threat attendant' loses job

Cathay Pacific says a flight attendant who felt tempted to throw coffee on a daughter of former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has lost her job.

The Thai cabin crew member had reportedly posted on Facebook that Paetongtarn Shinawatra was "the daughter of my enemy".

She is said to have been on a flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong.

A statement by the airline said the attendant was no longer an employee. It did not say if she quit or was sacked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20586051

Cathay Pacific 'coffee threat attendant' loses job

Cathay Pacific says a flight attendant who felt tempted to throw coffee on a daughter of former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has lost her job.

The Thai cabin crew member had reportedly posted on Facebook that Paetongtarn Shinawatra was "the daughter of my enemy".

She is said to have been on a flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong.

A statement by the airline said the attendant was no longer an employee. It did not say if she quit or was sacked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-20586051

She has been reported elsewhere... as saying she quit and did not wish her actions to reflect badly on Cathay Pacific. She did some silly things and has now paid the price for her foolishness.

Sent from my HTC phone.

But, on terra firma, would any company keep an employee who expressed wanting to attack clients of a political persuasion. How about someone who objected to serving let alone threatening a republican, or democrat, or gay, or Moslem or Jewish.

You've never seen a "I just wanted to hit him/her" comment? If everyone was sacked for saying that, there would be no service/sales staff.

Sent from my HTC phone.

But she's not " a republican, or democrat, or gay, or Moslem or Jewish". She is the daughter of a corrupt politician who has stolen billions from the Thai people, and lives in luxury on the proceeds. Do you think that some educated people don't resent that? Or do you consider that resentment wrong?

People are judged by those with which they associate. Or put more simply, when you lay down with dogs, don't be surprised to have fleas.

BTW yes, "let alone threatening" - the hostie expressed a desire (which was expressed but suppressed), which is not the same as threatening.

Edited by OzMick

But she's not " a republican, or democrat, or gay, or Moslem or Jewish". She is the daughter of a corrupt politician who has stolen billions from the Thai people, and lives in luxury on the proceeds. Do you think that some educated people don't resent that? Or do you consider that resentment wrong?

People are judged by those with which they associate. Or put more simply, when you lay down with dogs, don't be surprised to have fleas.

BTW yes, "let alone threatening" - the hostie expressed a desire (which was expressed but suppressed), which is not the same as threatening.

So when I saw abhist at ploenchit fair I could have thrown a drink over him and you would have defended me on Thai visa for doing it?

Also the more educated amongst us would understand that she has no control over what her father does or does not do, guilty by association? I would have thought you would know better that that.

No cue posts about share concealment etc.

The fact is what this idiot air hostess did was wrong, irrespective of who it was against and rightly she now has no job. Some of you need to realize the law is the law and it doesn't just become legal because of who it is aimed against.

Edited by carra

Glad your not in charge, or anyone who was related to, lets say, the English should be punished for all past invasions/murders committed by the Empire in the name of the Almighty God/Dollar. Or put more simply, the British wealth was gained by exploitation so you shouldn,t live off the proceeds.
  • Like 1

So when I saw abhist at ploenchit fair I could have thrown a drink over him and you would have defended me on Thai visa for doing it?

Also the more educated amongst us would understand that she has no control over what her father does or does not do, guilty by association? I would have thought you would know better that that.

No cue posts about share concealment etc.

The fact is what this idiot air hostess did was wrong, irrespective of who it was against and rightly she now has no job. Some of you need to realize the law is the law and it doesn't just become legal because of who it is aimed against.

To put it in perspective you should have said Abhisits daughter at Ploenchit fair.
  • Like 1

Sent from my HTC phone.

You've never seen a "I just wanted to hit him/her" comment? If everyone was sacked for saying that, there would be no service/sales staff.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Saying that after the event is enormously different to asking your manager, "is it ok if i hit this customer because she is my enemy".

Edited by Thai at Heart