Australians Complaining About Samui Again?

Well Samui made the news in the Sydney Morning Herald - but to be fair, only a minor point. It looks like Aussies bashing Thailand again.

http://www.smh.com.a...1123-29xc5.html

Regarding the Samui bit - it is law that you HAVE to provide photo id to board a domestic flight in Thailand. We have OMID to thank for this. When his flight to Chang Mai was found to have a bomb on board just before he boarded - it was found that most of the 'Thai couples' booked on a romantic weekend away from sin-city had checked in as the Thai equivilant of Mr and Mrs Smith!. Since then - all bookings for domestic flights have to have photo id. (I have used a Tarongo Zoo Pass for this one!)

"I rip my flight itinerary into a thousand angry little pieces ..." That will win hearts and minds here - not,

Back to the story.

So - the author gets 'out of his tree' at the full moon party (he says 'I am the cliched Australian at a full moon party') and then complains that he has to jump through hoops to recover from having everything stolen. Why take your passport etc to a FMP?.

Well - I wonder what would happen if the tables were turned, and it was a non English speaking Thai trying to get home to Thailand from Australia with no money and no documentation?

BTW - just noticed. The story was written on 25/11. The last FMP was 28/11. Why is it just hitting the paper today? This story must me more than one month old - at least.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

The story doesn't ring true. The Oz Embassy in BKK will issue an emergency passport within 24 hours. Full replacement passport for a lost/stolen passport takes a minimum of 10 working days and requires an application with original ID documentation.

The writer sounds like a first time tourist, not a seasoned travel writer.

If you read the story, his problem was getting to Bangkok to pick up his passport, since he had no other form of photo ID to show the airline.

Quote from the SMH article "Before my trip, I call my embassy where I'm told it will take a minimum of five working days to replace my passport. I cancel the flights and group tour to Cambodia I had set for three days' time. I arrive the next day in Bangkok to find my new passport ready". Not possible to even have an emergency passport ready for collection until he physically attends the Embassy with the police report, two photos and ID's himself and completes the application form at the Embassy or online; the application is then processed. It is not prepared ready for collection based on someone's phoned request.

Edited by simple1

if nothing else it makes a good story.always a nightmare when losing cash,passport,credit cards etc,and probably staying in a cheapie room there's nowhere safe to leave personal possessions so he takes it with him.I dont know why he's complaining about photo ID at airport,i think all airlines want photo ID before boarding.this story could have been about any travel destination.

• Like 1

first, even first time package tourist beginner know, that passport & valuables stay at the hotel/room safe 24/7 except for short money change and similar....To join happenings like the FMP with all valuables is fullish, not because the FMP is full of thieves, but many things can happen loose something on the crowded boats, things can get wet and so....

second, he could have asked the reception of his resort to give him a copy of his passport copy they have made during registration at check in. With that and the police report, maybe a phone call to the airline in advance, he could have flown for sure.

thirdly, also everyone knows, that Thailand is a country which requires a visa. So, visa is in the passport - no passport no visa - new passport need new visa - so, after getting the new passport from the embassy first way is to the immigration BKK with that and police report and there he gets the new visa stamp.......

there was nothing wrong from the part of all involved parties and if he would have done above mentioned the articles header would be: Passport stolen in Thailand? no problem, you are not alone....

Pretty darn stupid to take a passport or anything of value to the FMP....(or any crazed drinking establishment) blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Most resorts have lock boxes.... for a good reason!!!

Probably a very good reason to have a photocopy of passport etc... (take the copy... !!!) rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Pretty darn stupid to take a passport or anything of value to the FMP....(or any crazed drinking establishment) blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Most resorts have lock boxes.... for a good reason!!!

Probably a very good reason to have a photocopy of passport etc... (take the copy... !!!) rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Agreed and then even more stupid to have a law saying foreigners have to carry their passport with them at all times. blink.png

Sorry if that offends anyone, just my opinion ofcourse.............

Edited by carmine
  • Like 2

Unbelievably naive article by somebody who is a travel writer but then again anything to pay the bills. I just finished reading the comments and a good percentage of them echo the comments made here. Unfotunately the above link doesn't lead to the comments http://www.smh.com.au/travel/a-quick-trip-to-madness-20121123-29xc5.html so if you up to reading the comments , this should lead you to them . A laminated colour photocopy of yr passport front page is all that is needed plus a credit/debit card is all that ypu need. Leave everything behind somewhere safe especially if you are going to get off your face.