Work Permit?

This one has been covered many times.. technically yes but realistically no.

The biggest issue to consider is "how you are getting paid and are you paying taxes on it" in my opinion.

Thai law is outdated, it does not embrace remote working.

Techically the CEO of a large US corporation like Apple would need a work permit if he answered a few emails whilst in Thailand, which of course is ridiculous!

Also, if I was to volunteer to mow my elderly neighbours lawn, I would also need a work permit, again this is ridiculous

If you are tucked away in your apartment working on your laptop you have nothing to worry about, the immigration police are more interested in the more "in your face" foreigners making a living illegally, just be careful and don't go shouting it out.

I have a work permit and couldn't care less what you do but I am sure a few posters will follow with all sorts of scare stories and condemnation of you working in Thailand without a Work Permit.

Edited by Satcommlee
  • Like 1

Techically the CEO of a large US corporation like Apple would need a work permit if he answered a few emails whilst in Thailand, which of course is ridiculous!

If said CEO was on holiday in Thailand then No said person would not need a WP...if claiming Thailand as residence then Yes.....the laws as they stand are not ridculous in the least and certainly one of the easier places in the world to get a WP/work legally, this is based on my 25 years + working in various countries in the world....wink.png

In the case of the OP...yes in your situation you need a WP irrespective of where you are being paid etc etc and there are potentionally severe penalties if you are caught and thats all needs to be said...now its up to the OP if he wants to take the chance...

If said CEO was on holiday in Thailand then No said person would not need a WP...if claiming Thailand as residence then Yes.....the laws as they stand are not ridculous in the least and certainly one of the easier places in the world to get a WP/work legally, this is based on my 25 years + working in various countries in the world....wink.png

In the case of the OP...yes in your situation you need a WP irrespective of where you are being paid etc etc and there are potentionally severe penalties if you are caught and thats all needs to be said...now its up to the OP if he wants to take the chance...

But how does this work? I have requested a work permit befre for thai company but would i need to request it if i live there too? It is impossible correct as you cannot do the regulation about thai employees / 2 million registered baht etc ?