Thai Lessons

Desi Babe

Where are you staying?

How long do you want to study for?

What level are you at now?

I always recommend to people to go to a proper Thai language school if they are serious about learning Thai. A good school will have properly qualified teachers with lots of experience and good teaching materials.

When I tried to learn Thai from Thai 'teachers' coming to my house they were all quite 'bad' and I none had any method to the teaching - so my Thai language was VERY slow to develop and I almost gave up.

I you don't need the ED visa you can just pay for a set amount of lessons at a school. I can recommend the school I go to - Pro Language. I know they are in Chang Mia, Bangkok and Pattaya. There are other school about also, but I have not tried them. You can look them up on the internet and also go and try free lessons to see if you like them.

Good luck.

Where are you staying?

How long do you want to study for?

What level are you at now?

I always recommend to people to go to a proper Thai language school if they are serious about learning Thai. A good school will have properly qualified teachers with lots of experience and good teaching materials.

When I tried to learn Thai from Thai 'teachers' coming to my house they were all quite 'bad' and I none had any method to the teaching - so my Thai language was VERY slow to develop and I almost gave up.

I you don't need the ED visa you can just pay for a set amount of lessons at a school. I can recommend the school I go to - Pro Language. I know they are in Chang Mia, Bangkok and Pattaya. There are other school about also, but I have not tried them. You can look them up on the internet and also go and try free lessons to see if you like them.

Good luck.

Thanks, I'll check them out. I'm considering a language school since my private teacher(read girlfriend)left. Anybody have any other recommendations?

No other recommendation, but rather expand on previous recommendation:

On the trial, check out if the teacher is good at explaining,

in a language you can comprehend, noun, verb etc,

this is an indication if it's actually a teacher, or just a nobody.

In fact you are advised to check out at least two places, to get a comparison.

Know that the quality of 'teachers' her is abysmal in general, with very few exceptions

Edited by poanoi

Know that the quality of 'teachers' her is abysmal in general, with very few exceptions

Thanks, know anything about the different teaching methods such as union/unity?

I think the competence -or lack of competence of the teacher is more important than method,

tho i know some teachers wishing to do more, like giving homework, is prohibited by the school

rationalized by the merchandize that "we dont teach that way" but in reality it is a time/cost saving measure.

ed: inability to explain is rationalized in a similar manner btw

"we have a special technique that require no explanation or competence of teachers"

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

Make sure the teacher is allowed to speak English to the students during lessons. The language school I went to did not allow the teachers to use English, but my teacher used a bit of common sense (unusual for Thai people) and broke the rules using English when necessary, and it helped me a lot.

I am interested in a good Thai language school in Pattaya. I have no Thai language ability. Also, I come to Thailand about 3 or 4 times a year and stay for 4 to 8 weeks each time.

I understand that Pro Language is one school. How much do they charge? Any other recommendations for Pattaya?

Drive until you hit pattaya tai, then turn to sukumvit, get out on sukumvit and turn left,

now driving on sukumvit you will pass a gas station, and another 150 meters you will see

soi 46/3 on your left hand, same side as the gas station.

Turn into soi 46/3 and drive until you see SSschool, perhaps also 150 meters,

and also on left hand

Yes, you can also turn from pattaya tai into the little soi that is opposite the entrance to BigC,

i think it is called soi 2 but not sure.

When you drive down you will see the gigantic Batman building, and her school is just to the right of it.

When you see the building you can either drive to left and around, or take the short cut straight over the batman parking lot.

ed: and it is also possible to drive a backward soi from soi bongkot,

but cant explain that one really, only rode that road twice in my life

Edited by poanoi