Cathay Pacific Stewardess Saga Demonstrates Dangers Of Posting: Social Media

webfact

Haha,

Better be careful what you ask for here. If every employee of a business in Thailand got fired for doing something, 'completely stupid', there wouldn't be any businesses open much less the government.

Then who would serve you the, 'completely stupid' meal you didn't order or the wrong license plate you didn't order or..................................

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1
  • Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great to see her lose her job and realizing that great companies like Cathay will not tolerate complete stupidity. It is not her role to get involved in what her passengers do, or not do. her job is serve to the coffee etc. she threatened to throw coffee at Thailand's elected PM and even asked her 'personal adviser' if she could do it

"threatened" ? "Thailand's elected PM" ? Where are you getting this mis-information?

what is the matter with you? she threatened to throw hot coffee in her face on the flight - don't you read the news? (hint - not just 'The Nation'?) then she was fired - get it now?

There is nothing wrong with my comprehension, i understand that expressing desire to do something is not the same as saying I INTEND to do it, which is threatening.

Now about "Thailand's elected PM"? When did she enter this story?

Maybe a different CP flight.

There are confidentiality rules that need to be adhered to at work. Already going public with the passenger manifest was completely wrong - regardless what you think about red/yellow shirts.

Sorry, this has zero to do with "police-state mentality" or "freedom of speech".

• Like 1

There are confidentiality rules that need to be adhered to at work. Already going public with the passenger manifest was completely wrong - regardless what you think about red/yellow shirts.

Sorry, this has zero to do with "police-state mentality" or "freedom of speech".

This.

Regardless of the coffee throwing, the posting of a passenger manifest is tantamount to gross misconduct and an immediate termination of employment offence i imagine. Completely irrelevant who the passenger is.

• Like 1

great to see her lose her job and realizing that great companies like Cathay will not tolerate complete stupidity. It is not her role to get involved in what her passengers do, or not do. her job is serve to the coffee etc. she threatened to throw coffee at Thaksins daughter and even asked her 'personal adviser' if she could do it

edit: apologies daughter not PM (it's early!) - it's irrelevant she had ideas wayyyyyy above her station and seemed to think, as in Thailand, her actions would not have consequences

Of course she should not have dared to have her own thoughts about anything except her work. Never mind that she expressed them outside her work environment and they were not aimed at her employer. But as you say she was out of her league and was not allowed to critize someone clearly above her social status.

Are you for real?? As for stupidity, you do not qualify for commenting on that. The attendant did not get involved in any passenger's action nor did she threaten to pour anything on a passenger or ask anyone if she could do so. She merely expressed that she wished she could have done. There are huge differences in this, among them democracy and free speech.

I don't however expect you to understand any of this which you, I expect, will show in a reply.

• Like 2

First of all the flight attendant didn't throw anything nor did she threaten to throw anything - she just expressed her thoughts (in the wrong place). She posted a portion of a manifest for which CP took action & she was fired (or resigned depending on which story is correct).

The action of the DPM is just as stupid as the original poster's. Yes, he acted because of who the pseudo-victim is. From some of the posts above, one would think that civil war had broken out. Storm in an imaginary coffee cup.

First of all the flight attendant didn't throw anything nor did she threaten to throw anything - she just expressed her thoughts (in the wrong place). She posted a portion of a manifest for which CP took action & she was fired (or resigned depending on which story is correct).

The action of the DPM is just as stupid as the original poster's. Yes, he acted because of who the pseudo-victim is. From some of the posts above, one would think that civil war had broken out. Storm in an imaginary coffee cup.

According to the original article she said she wanted to do it and even went to her supervisor to ask if she could.

She then stupidly wrote all this down on facebook together with a sanitized manifest.

I don't think CP had any choice but to sack her. She broke company rules.

As for the DPM etc you are absolutely right. Completely OTT reaction because of the "victim", should have left well alone, looks a complete idiot now.

some nice comments from her FB page

"I could not work knowing the daughter of my enemy was on the plane.

"I called my personal adviser asking if it would be all right to throw coffee at Paetongtarn, but was told that this could breach Hong Kong's laws," she reportedly wrote.

She added that she had been angry at "the failure" of an anti-government rally in Bangkok on November 24.

"I called my personal adviser asking if it would be all right to throw coffee at Paetongtarn, but was told that this could breach Hong Kong's laws," she reportedly wrote.

She added that she had been angry at "the failure" of an anti-government rally in Bangkok on November 24.

The hostie was probably angry that Thaksin had decided she was the future "elected PM of Thailand"

What has this stupid and sorry episode taught us?

The Flight Attendant had the mental age of 11

Her supervisor showed a distinct lack of judgement by not moving her to another cabin.

Cathay were lucky that "Honey" had published an extract from the manifest or they would probably have had no legal grounds for dismissal.

Pracha is a subservient licklespittle who had no business getting involved.

The contemplation of pouring a coffee on a Shinawatra is a far greater crime than leading a baying crowd to throw bags of human excrement into Abhisit's family residence.

The newspaper misses the point badly here. It is a despicable piece of inept journalism and its associated editing.

The airline "employee" publishing the manifest list of passengers, blacked out or not all but one, is an irrevocable breach of security and passenger safety, the first and foremost concern of airlines, airports, and their employees as well as vendors. An airline "employee" allowing her personal attitudes and emotional lapse to interfere in her professional or unprofessional action is appalling. To have a supervisor consulted without taking immediate action and to remark only "it may violate Hong Kong's laws," is an utter disgrace.

The Nation's circling around this issue with a "posting to social media is dangerous" gist instead of calling out the failed professional behavior of the attendant and her supervisor who was consulted, is just mind boggling. The newspaper does no service to Thais by ignoring this breach. In fact it signals further that there is a "cultural" problem among Thais who can't control their emotions or work reliably in professional occupations.

This blatant newspaper omission in discussing the violation of legal, ethical , professional standards , security and safety on an airline or airport business is cause for all to be forewarned about taking this amateur newspaper seriously on any topic.

In fact, it is a very serious illustration and cause for not taking any Thais seriously absent any massive outrage by Thais at this incident. Who in their right mind would employ a Thai in a critical , secure, safe position on becoming aware of this type of behavior, this incident, the weak, deplorable follow up, and the lack of outrage among Thais and the inept Thai press.

Agree with you. Basically the flight attendant broke the law and the airline would be in big trouble in the passenger decided to sue.

Furthermore, it badly reflects on the Thai flight attendants. A number of them are the main breadwinner in their family. It was a really stupid thing to do, the flight attendant is going to pay the high price for that.

So maybe it's time to give the whole thing a rest.

Was this flight attendant Thai? I don't remember seeing any statement to that effect?

The newspaper misses the point badly here. It is a despicable piece of inept journalism and its associated editing.

The airline "employee" publishing the manifest list of passengers, blacked out or not all but one, is an irrevocable breach of security and passenger safety, the first and foremost concern of airlines, airports, and their employees as well as vendors. An airline "employee" allowing her personal attitudes and emotional lapse to interfere in her professional or unprofessional action is appalling. To have a supervisor consulted without taking immediate action and to remark only "it may violate Hong Kong's laws," is an utter disgrace.

The Nation's circling around this issue with a "posting to social media is dangerous" gist instead of calling out the failed professional behavior of the attendant and her supervisor who was consulted, is just mind boggling. The newspaper does no service to Thais by ignoring this breach. In fact it signals further that there is a "cultural" problem among Thais who can't control their emotions or work reliably in professional occupations.

This blatant newspaper omission in discussing the violation of legal, ethical , professional standards , security and safety on an airline or airport business is cause for all to be forewarned about taking this amateur newspaper seriously on any topic.

In fact, it is a very serious illustration and cause for not taking any Thais seriously absent any massive outrage by Thais at this incident. Who in their right mind would employ a Thai in a critical , secure, safe position on becoming aware of this type of behavior, this incident, the weak, deplorable follow up, and the lack of outrage among Thais and the inept Thai press.

Agree with you. Basically the flight attendant broke the law and the airline would be in big trouble in the passenger decided to sue.

Furthermore, it badly reflects on the Thai flight attendants. A number of them are the main breadwinner in their family. It was a really stupid thing to do, the flight attendant is going to pay the high price for that.

So maybe it's time to give the whole thing a rest.

Was this flight attendant Thai? I don't remember seeing any statement to that effect?

may I humbly suggest a little research???

According to the South China Morning Post, the Thai stewardess had posted the original comments on her Facebook page after she had discovered Paetongtarn was on board a November 25 flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong.

The hostie was probably angry that Thaksin had decided she was the future "elected PM of Thailand"

see post #3 and stop being so ungracious as this very small error was corrected hours and hours ago and you seek to deflect from the REAL issue

After living in Thailand for a number of years the urge to throw something at individual Thai riders and drivers becomes a power so strong that only a couple of beers will make the feeling go away!

The ex-attendant didn't actually state that she was going to throw coffee over the woman, she merely stated that in a different circumstance she would? Her question to her supervisor sounded rhetorical in that she said that she would like to throw,,, etc. etc. and her supervisor said (tongue in cheek,I guess) you can't it's against the law in HK!

Perish the thought that someone should even think about lowering the face of a Shin family member. Of course they should be punished and their family ostracised for 10,000 generations! It's a pity that to some very small minded people believe other people with money are bigger than GOD! bah.gif

The hypocrisy of the leftist looney's on here is showing itself.

If someone uses freedom of speech against their beloved followers then they a bad person.

Yet they then attack the person's livelihood.

This woman was expressing herself in a very restrained way, but the police-state mentality of redshirts can't have that....

Cathay Pacific airline's are also a very 'un-redshirt' faction so you can be sure this was about rivalry and politics as well!

Ergo its ok to say "bring a bottle, i will bring the gasoline, let's burn down bangkok".

Could you imagine the liability Cathay would have faced if she'd done it?

see post #3 and stop being so ungracious as this very small error was corrected hours and hours ago and you seek to deflect from the REAL issue

And what are the real issues? 1. The stewardess posted a flight passenger manifesto on her facebook site. This is against the law and company rules and she has paid for it. Drivelling on about what she wanted to do, talking to her personal advisor / supervisor etc is just chlidish silly bravado.

2. The threat of a demonstration against CP smacks of the suppression of free speech. "Do something about this or else" - or else what? An uncalled for overreaction that demonstrates the underlying storm trooper / red guard mentality lurking in some. A worrying aspect.

CP are a good ethical company and would have dealt with this silly, but nevertheless illegal and serious episode without the threat from thugs.

This is a 'professional' person who has specifically targeted a passenger. It doesn't make any difference who the person is. The targeting was also directed at someone for simply being related to someone she didn't like. What would she be thinking about doing if her real 'enemy' were on the flight. Throw acid, maybe? Perhaps something more dangerous.

Airplanes are a rather high risk area to have people who are mentally unstable working. I believe the guy in the US (Jetblue?) who pulled the emergency shoot was also relieved of his duties.

• Like 1

Boy, if just 'wanting' to throw hot coffee on someone in Thailand is a crime every farong here would be in jail for reasons delineated daily on this website.

What about just cold coffee? Would it be the same jail time or less?

Just curious but no one has said why the flight attendant wanted to throw coffee on the esteemed person. Anybody know the reason?

Since the lady in question was already off the airplane when the posting occured I fail to see what breach of security existed. Surely, it was a violation of airline rules but other than that big deal. I suppose if someone saw her get off the plane and posted it on their Facebook page that would also be a breach of security?

Thais amaze me more and more every day I am here though. I kinda wonder where this PM was when the Dutch girl got raped? Rob, rape, rip off, assault or kill a farong and it goes under the rug here or worse the farong in question is blamed for his/her own rape but to even suggest doing something like pouring hot coffee over a goddess, now that calls for a national outcry. LOS should be replaced with LOBS.

Did you actually read any of the story?

She refused to serve, which some could say could be an acceptable request, but she actually asked her supervisor if it would be ok if she 'threw coffee" in someone's face, whille on the plane.

Now, if this was Mcdonalds, and someone asked their supervisor if it would be ok to spit in the burger, or to put arsenic in the coffee? What does anyone think would be the response. Now, not to encourage it, but if she had accidentally on purpose dropped a glass of red wine all over her, the satisfaction would have been all hers to privately share.

But when you put it on facebook that you asked if you can burn someone, for gods sake, that is crossing so many lines I don't know where to start. She messed up very badly, and got fired, which is more than fair enough.

great to see her lose her job and realizing that great companies like Cathay will not tolerate complete stupidity. It is not her role to get involved in what her passengers do, or not do. her job is serve to the coffee etc. she threatened to throw coffee at Thailand's elected PM and even asked her 'personal adviser' if she could do it

"threatened" ? "Thailand's elected PM" ? Where are you getting this mis-information?

what is the matter with you? she threatened to throw hot coffee in her face on the flight - don't you read the news? (hint - not just 'The Nation'?) then she was fired - get it now?

with an accompanying message saying she would have ****liked to have poured*** a hot drink on the passenger.

Yes, some threat.

Worse threats have gone through the minds of most readers here. Were just not printed.

The Internet is a public space. Post your details on it at your peril.

Agree, here's an example of social media gone way overbaord.

True story, Thai lady, single early thirties, has posted every possible detail of her life, copies of her Thai ID card, passport, tabien baan book, chanut, mobile and landline tel., numbers, full detailed address with her room no., pictures of her condo building inside (lobby area and 10 pictures inside her unit), and outside, and map (in Bkk), also pics of her car with big picture of the registration plate. Also photo of her office buidling, floor no., of her office etc., and a detailed map how to get there.

Plus she continuously posts a full running commentary of her life and activities. Example, ... finishing work now will drive to XXX restaurant, address XXXX... .

Perhaps one hour later, ....driving home now expect to arrive at XXXX, feel lonely because I live alone..... . And more.

Her personal and work colleagues have pleaded with her to remove 90% of the detail and stop advertising her movements.

She refuses, can't see there's any problem or danger.

"I discussed with another Thai colleague who didn't like them about going over to ridicule her dad before she steps out of the plane," she wrote. "Paetongtarn, I didn't throw coffee in her face today but she had no clue that I will keep on fighting until your clan can no longer live like fleas on the Thai soil."

​Honey is obviously an astute political observer - she will 'keep fighting' (presumably through the medium of coffee) for the rights of Stewardesses (whoops correction!) Flight Attendants to threaten any passenger they don't like after first seeking advice from their in-flight advisor of course

FA: excuse me advisor

Advisor: yes may I help you?

FA: I don't like farang may I please throw some coffee?

Advisor: this may be against the laws of Asia

FA: oh ok... but I will keep fighting them until they no longer fly on our airline!

Advisor: we like to empower our FA's to think for themselves - well done!

The hypocrisy of the leftist looney's on here is showing itself.

If someone uses freedom of speech against their beloved followers then they a bad person.

Yet they then attack the person's livelihood.

This woman was expressing herself in a very restrained way, but the police-state mentality of redshirts can't have that....

Cathay Pacific airline's are also a very 'un-redshirt' faction so you can be sure this was about rivalry and politics as well!

Throwing hot coffee on someone is aggravated assault and assault in battery in US. Hot coffee can cause second degree burns on face and exposed skin.

The girl stupidly admitted publically that she wanted to commit aggravated assault on a passenger of the airline. This is and should be unacceptable by any employer, particularly airlines. Airlines cannot tolerate the risk of violent behavior during flights on an enclosed aircraft and have a heightened duty to protect it's passengers.

At first blush, this does seem to be a hasty, harsh reaction or politically motivated decision, but it really is not. One cannot go around publically admitting that they want to commit a violent crime against their employer's customers. Legally, airline now has notice of employee's propensity and is under duty to act.

• Like 1