Shocked !

Vinny1967

I'm only in Thailand a few months but I have to say that I'm shocked by the amount of foreigners who meet their death over here.Almost every day there's another one found dead.You don't hear about all this back in europe.Surely they can't all be committing suicide.What the hell's going on ? .Has it always been like this or is it just in the last few months that it's escalated ?

Vinny

Death stuff in your own country is probably similar but you don't hear all. sad.png

I know that people get killed every day back where I'm from,but not foreigners.There just seems to be an awful lot dying over here wether it be by their own hand or that of another.

This is what often happens when a dreamer comes here with big dreams and a pocket full of money. He has burned his bridges at home and spent his pocket full of money. Now he has no where to turn so he takes the easy way out.

• Like 1

Look at it this way:

In a 12 month period in 2008/2009, there were 853,000 Brits living in and visiting Thailand. 288 of them died.

That’s one death per 3,000 Brits traveling to (and living in) Thailand.

If you figure the average lifespan of a Brit is 75 years, then about 1 in 75 dies every year (yes, I know the math isn't that clean, but bear with me)

That means that Brits that stayed home were 40 times more likely to die than those that came to (and/or lived in) Thailand.

If that's not on the Thai Travel Brochures, it's beyond me why.

Source:http://www.traveldailynews.com/images/upload/File/british-abroad-report-240809.pdf I have not vetted the source at all...

Edited by impulse

Death stuff in your own country is probably similar but you don't hear all. sad.png

I know that people get killed every day back where I'm from,but not foreigners.There just seems to be an awful lot dying over here wether it be by their own hand or that of another.

Where l come from it's full of foreigners, many killing each other. laugh.png
  • Like 1

Look at it this way:

In a 12 month period in 2008/2009, there were 853,000 Brits living in and visiting Thailand. 288 of them died.

If you figure the average lifespan of a Brit is 75 years, then about 1 in 75 dies every year (yes, I know the math isn't that clean, but bear with me)

That means that Brits that stayed home were 40 times more likely to die than those that came to (and/or lived in) Thailand.

Source:http://www.traveldailynews.com/images/upload/File/british-abroad-report-240809.pdf I have not vetted the source at all...

Hmm, your life expectancy is lower living in Thailand than in the UK or any western country. I think your wrong. Edited by krisb

The 1 story thats like an urban legend to me is the falang that have jumped to their death from hotel balconies.

From what Ive heard theres been alot.

op, in a country that is so popular for tourists who on holiday drink more, party more, ride motorbikes round thinking they are Rossi, and generally doing crazy and more adventurous things they wouldnt do so much of back home, its bound to cost some lives.

Whats the percentage of tourists going to Thailand and how many dying each year compared to other countries?

Edited by krisb

How many suspicious farang deaths do you think there are every year in Thailand?

According to the Police, almost none

biggrin.png

To make the amount up for an offer when buying English books last week I bought a Pattaya newspaper, there were I think 4 or 6 dead foreigners in that days paper alone. I doubt any will get properly investigated.

Hmm, your life expectancy is lower living in Thailand than in the UK. I think your wrong.

Of course the logic is flawed, but you have to say why, not just say "you're wrong". That's no fun to argue with.

Fine. Your wrong.

BTW, not arguing, just mpov.

Edited by krisb

Whats the percentage of tourists going to Thailand and how many dying each year compared to other countries?

www.traveldailynews.com/images/upload/File/british-abroad-report-240809.pdf

Can't answer for the rest of the tourists but my poorly linked link compares tourists from the UK traveling to different countries.

There is a huge range of deaths per traveler to different countries.

Edited by impulse

your life insurance is popular here

I know somene who's job it is to investigate life insurance claims in Asia because of the high incidence of fraud with bogus death certificates.

It's amazing how many people turn out to be alive and well at their last known Asian address.

• Like 2

Look at it this way:

The math doesnt add up here

first, you cant count "tourists," as many are here for only a week or two which skews the statistics.

also, just because the average life expectancy is 75 does not mean that 1/75 are expected to die. That would assume that all age groups are equally likely to commit suicide and/or die. This would also imply there is an equal distribution of people between the ages of 1-75. I could go on with other flaws in the logic but dont feel like wasting more time....

impulse i hope your post was a joke.

Of course it was.

In fact, a few months ago I linked to the same source to compare how much more dangerous it seems to be for Brits to travel and/or live in Thailand than in some other countries.

The statistics presented in the link are pretty scary if you start comparing the death rate, hospitalization rate and arrest rate for Brits traveling to different countries, including Thailand.

Yourauntbob pointed out the flaws, the reasons the numbers don't actually indicate it's 40 times safer to travel to Thailand than to stay home. And he's right, there are a lot more reasons he didn't get to.

Edited by impulse

It happens more in Thailand then anywhere else because some guys are just not responsible enough. They cannot face the facts and reality after having blown all their money to bits. They cannot cope with the shame so they jump! Most of these reported farang deaths involve alcohol, drugs, or the other sin.... What was it again?

Aaaah Hookers.

Life in paradise is tough.

It happens more in Thailand then anywhere else because some guys are just not responsible enough. They cannot face the facts and reality after having blown all their money to bits. They cannot cope with the shame so they jump! Most of these reported farang deaths involve alcohol, drugs, or the other sin.... What was it again?

Aaaah Hookers.

Life in paradise is tough.

'Cannot cope with the shame'? Have they caught some terrible bug from the Thai's called 'Face'.

NB...Life in Paradise is as good or as tough as you make it....it's all down to the individual.

• Like 1

I believe a very real syndrome of flying out of high balcony windows or off of balconies exists in Thailand. In Jerusalem especially, but all over Israel they have something called the Jesus syndrome where people get so wrapped up in the religion thing that they end up in the local nut house.

Well, one solution is to block anyone with mental illness from coming to Thailand. Another is to enforce the requirements to have the required funds on hand and to enforce the laws. For example one could crack down on the call centers (remember the boiler room swedes that knifed one of their workmates?) Perhaps mandatory psychological fitness testing could be implemented. This way those folks prone to the abuse of various drugs including alcohol would not reach a state where they used too much and lost their grip on reality and took a leap when their bar girl/ bar boy dumped them. Perhaps a restriction on the sale of alcohol to foreigners might help. It seems that alcohol is fueling the idiotic misadventures of a number of foreigners such as the drunk Australian kid in Patong that decided to play on the ledge of his hotel. Medical exams should also be mandatory. That way those people with terminal diseases won't be here and reach a point in their painfull terminal illnesses where they kill themselves. (2 in the last quarter in Phuket.)

Hope my suggestions help.

Well, one solution is to block anyone with mental illness from coming to Thailand. Another is to enforce the requirements to have the required funds on hand and to enforce the laws. For example one could crack down on the call centers (remember the boiler room swedes that knifed one of their workmates?) Perhaps mandatory psychological fitness testing could be implemented. This way those folks prone to the abuse of various drugs including alcohol would not reach a state where they used too much and lost their grip on reality and took a leap when their bar girl/ bar boy dumped them. Perhaps a restriction on the sale of alcohol to foreigners might help. It seems that alcohol is fueling the idiotic misadventures of a number of foreigners such as the drunk Australian kid in Patong that decided to play on the ledge of his hotel. Medical exams should also be mandatory. That way those people with terminal diseases won't be here and reach a point in their painfull terminal illnesses where they kill themselves. (2 in the last quarter in Phuket.)

Hope my suggestions help.

Wot another "nanny state"!wai2.gif