Working In Thailand

whistling.gif What your asking is a question asked many times on this forum.

Frankly, the answer isn't really clear.

First of all, working on-line while living in Thailand will probably be considered by the Thai tax people as working in Thailand.

The law will say that any work activity in Thailand .... whether or not you are compensated for that work activity ... is in effect considered working in Thailand.

Therefore you are eligible for Thai taxes to be paid on your income.

For practical purposes if you are not making a lot of money by your on-line work, it is difficult for the Thai tax people to prove your income and the effort required to prove it means they don't usually bother to try to come after you.

But you should understand ... they could if they wanted to make the effort... it generally isn't worth their time and effort.

To be blunt, the law was written before such a thing as "on-line work" was known.... and it is unclear.

Technically, they will say you need a Work Permit for on-line work .... but where and who will issue you a Work Permit for "on-line work"?

I don't think anyone's ever done it.... unless you have been hired directly by a Thai company.... and are paid by that company.

As for getting money INTO a Thai bank it's relatively easy. Just open a Thai bank account and have your home country bank wire your money into Thailand.

However, many Thai banks want you to have a visa that allows you to stay in Thailand on a long term basis.

That means NOT a tourist visa.

Getting it OUT of Thailand however is much more difficult.... tax reasons.

You see how this discussion is running?

Frankly, there just aren't any certain answers to what your asking.

whistling.gif

Although the entry above is getting a bit old I take my chances and tag on a question re WP.

WWWP, Working without work permit.

I understand you cannot work without WP.

If you work without compensation you still need WP.

"online" work is in the grey area.

How about carrying out manual work on your own property?

Can I buy a new engine for my car and do the engine swap myself?

Can I rub down and do a complete paint job on my car myself?

Can I carry out lots of manual work on my boat?

Beefing up the engine? Changing the gearbox? Changing the engine?

Haul it out of the water and clean the bottom and repaint it?

Do the paintjob above the waterline myself?

The above is hours and hours and hours of work.

Or would I have to hire a Thai chap/lass to do the work under my directions?

Probably been asked before but I couldn't find it by means of the search function.

Edited by melvinmelvin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whistling.gif What your asking is a question asked many times on this forum.

Frankly, the answer isn't really clear.

First of all, working on-line while living in Thailand will probably be considered by the Thai tax people as working in Thailand.

The law will say that any work activity in Thailand .... whether or not you are compensated for that work activity ... is in effect considered working in Thailand.

Therefore you are eligible for Thai taxes to be paid on your income.

For practical purposes if you are not making a lot of money by your on-line work, it is difficult for the Thai tax people to prove your income and the effort required to prove it means they don't usually bother to try to come after you.

But you should understand ... they could if they wanted to make the effort... it generally isn't worth their time and effort.

To be blunt, the law was written before such a thing as "on-line work" was known.... and it is unclear.

Technically, they will say you need a Work Permit for on-line work .... but where and who will issue you a Work Permit for "on-line work"?

I don't think anyone's ever done it.... unless you have been hired directly by a Thai company.... and are paid by that company.

As for getting money INTO a Thai bank it's relatively easy. Just open a Thai bank account and have your home country bank wire your money into Thailand.

However, many Thai banks want you to have a visa that allows you to stay in Thailand on a long term basis.

That means NOT a tourist visa.

Getting it OUT of Thailand however is much more difficult.... tax reasons.

You see how this discussion is running?

Frankly, there just aren't any certain answers to what your asking.

whistling.gif

Although the entry above is getting a bit old I take my chances and tag on a question re WP.

WWWP, Working without work permit.

I understand you cannot work without WP.

If you work without compensation you still need WP.

"online" work is in the grey area.

How about carrying out manual work on your own property?

Can I buy a new engine for my car and do the engine swap myself?

Can I rub down and do a complete paint job on my car myself?

Can I carry out lots of manual work on my boat?

Beefing up the engine? Changing the gearbox? Changing the engine?

Haul it out of the water and clean the bottom and repaint it?

Do the paintjob above the waterline myself?

The above is hours and hours and hours of work.

Or would I have to hire a Thai chap/lass to do the work under my directions?

Probably been asked before but I couldn't find it by means of the search function.

The answer to this is very simple....."work" is what ever the specific offical concerned decides it is