Thailand Falls On Graft Index: Corruption

webfact

Isn't defending a score of 34 instead of 37 out of 100 a little like arguing that you kid's IQ is 87 not 84?

On that piont the average for all country's surveyed was 43, and Thailand scored a close 37. Statistics can be manipulated both ways.

Corruption was put on trial at the last election and the public jury gave it the all clear, corruption won, corruption is leading this country, those best at corruption are the present popular choice of leadership, the public has (mostly) indicated it finds corruption tolerable, so corruption it is, corruption is thriving, anti-corruption efforts are losing, Thailand is well on its way to becoming the world's most corrupt middle income country. It has outdone Myanmar and Cambodia, even the Philippines.

See i had a 'survey' of 700 young people from chonburi to rayong, on a question: What's good and bad about Thailand?

35-40% mentioned corruption as a "bad", nearly half that directed at the bib.

So imo is it on the agenda of the younger more worldly thais.

I did get a lot of "Nothing, we love Thailand."

Thailand did well smile.png

3rd in ASEAN smile.png

They improved their score based on last year, even if their ranking was worse, so in theory it should be getting better. Assuming their improved score wasn't completely caused by the change in the points system.

Positive thinking, I like that. 3rd in ASEAN, doing well. Could be worse, etc., etc. All those negative waves get us nowhere biggrin.png

If.... the police and military were paid an honest wage,they would be honest, the rich bitch politicians will sell us out no matter what, only taxes and a system of watchdog agency's will change the graft and greed. Or they could hide it better like the western world has perfectible.

Thailand did well smile.png

3rd in ASEAN smile.png

They improved their score based on last year, even if their ranking was worse, so in theory it should be getting better. Assuming their improved score wasn't completely caused by the change in the points system.

So a bronze medal for Thailand.whistling.gif

Isn't defending a score of 34 instead of 37 out of 100 a little like arguing that you kid's IQ is 87 not 84?

Both sets of numbers are unrealistic . . . the first too low and the second too high

"Ranks 88th of 176 nations; minister blames drop on new criteria"

dam_n that Muslim criteria!

• Like 1

If.... the police and military were paid an honest wage,they would be honest, the rich bitch politicians will sell us out no matter what, only taxes and a system of watchdog agency's will change the graft and greed. Or they could hide it better like the western world has perfectible.

If the police were paid an honest wage, they would have more money to pass up the tree.

Sent from my HTC phone.

• Like 1

"The number one spot this year was a three-way tie between three farang boring nanny states being Denmark, Finland and New Zealand. Two noticeable countries out of place are Singapore rated as the fifth less Corrupt country in the world and Hong Kong, coming in at number 14th, both of these countries used to be as corrupt as Thailand has now become boring nanny states as well and has vast amount of international investment that have poured into those countries and the average persons living standards have also dramatically increased compared to much of Thailand’s poverty." Thailand's aiming for the wooden spoon....... hahaha

Would be interesting to see Thailand's reaction to this. but I won't be holding my breath.

The numerous people I speak to at work - whether privately or in a group - without exception - all have some experience of corruption. This includes people from the neighbourhoodpaying the local amphur to come and unblock the drains to paying tea money to schools - a lot of people admit to this - to ensure their child gets in at the school of choice.

However, despite this, no one has an opinion or comment on their responsibility to do something about it.

If I opine that people could take to the street to peacefully protest and demand something be done, I'm met with a smile and the occasional 'what can we do'.

When I mention the impact of corruption on their children's future, I receive the same response. If I ask how corruption squares with the central precepts of Buddhism, I get a smile.

Like I said, I won't be holding my breath on this one.

A few days ago the 'World Justice Project' released their quantitive index of many countries' 'Rule of Law' http://worldjusticep...le-of-law-index. This was mentioned in the Thai media, where it was presented as if Thailand was in the middle in most categories, and on par with neighbours and countries with similar income level.

One category was 'Absence of corruption'. What apperently no-one bothered to do, was look at the actual underlying data and subcategories. And for the corruption part it is very frigthening: Although the total score for Thailand for absence of corruption is a 0.41 (1 being the best), which is already rather poor, the specific subcategory '2.4 Government officials in the legislative branch do not use public office for private gain' scored a 0.06 !! http://worldjusticep...ountry/thailand. Of all the countries looked at, only Ukraine managed to score lower than Thailand.

At least Ukraine has prettier women! M2C!

"Nivatthamrong said the government had continued fighting corruption, setting up three new channels to receive public complaints: boxes at all city halls; the 1026 hotline call centre; and the website www.stopcorruption.go.th."

Here's a better idea: Allow the media to report verifiable facts without fear of prosecution, even when the facts implicate influential figures. For example, if there is a police chief, Army commander, or high ranking civil servant who is living a lifestyle (house, cars, travel, entertainment, etc.) clearly beyond the means of his official salary, let the press report on this.

Until the press can safely name and shame public figures who are clearly corrupt, corruption will remain endemic.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

Any important undercover sting operation has its dangers - they are inherently dangerous for the actors. I believe, though, that there are lots of Thais who genuinely wish for a better society. Suffice it to say that such behavior, corruption, is stealing which is a breach of core Buddhist precepts, as is the mistreatment of one's fellow human beings. Good people will always want to resist such injustices.

I agree it will be difficult to find recruits, but not impossible. I think the best place to look for recruits is among young Thais who are studying, working, or living abroad in western democracies. I also believe there are enough good Thais already in government to do this. It would have to be ultra secret (not the typical headline nonesense) and would need to include one or two judges who equally committed. It may be difficult but not impossible. All situations are changeable - this is a core Buddhist tenet, as well.

This is so true.

In my opinion and generally speaking, "status" is a major element of motivation for Thai people. Sure this is also the case in most societies but I think it's more ingrained and pervasive in Thailand.

As long as they get away with it and can buy that new car or fancy house to maintain their status and gain face, they will keep doing it.

In addition to the usual legal punishments, these guilty people need to also pay the price of "loss of face". Outing them in the media and shaming them should go a long way in reduce corruption.

"Nivatthamrong said the government had continued fighting corruption, setting up three new channels to receive public complaints: boxes at all city halls; the 1026 hotline call centre; and the website www.stopcorruption.go.th."

Here's a better idea: Allow the media to report verifiable facts without fear of prosecution, even when the facts implicate influential figures. For example, if there is a police chief, Army commander, or high ranking civil servant who is living a lifestyle (house, cars, travel, entertainment, etc.) clearly beyond the means of his official salary, let the press report on this.

Until the press can safely name and shame public figures who are clearly corrupt, corruption will remain endemic.

• Like 1