Nothing Ever Turns Up In The Post In This Country

hotandhumid

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they have machines that can read if cash is in an envellope.

So how would that work then ? or are we now in the Twilight zone of conspriacy theories....where in the xenophobic Thai post office in its attempt to scam money out of the farangs has cunningly installed a "magic" box in all its offices to identify whose mummys from overseas have put money in the Christmas cards for their darling little boys and girls..

one assumes said magic box also identifies the currency conderned and calculates the current exchange rate against the THB, so Somchai the postal worker knows exactly what sort of "tip" he is getting for Xmas ?...rolleyes.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

I fully sympathise with the OP.. in the past I've often had things sent from England go missing

now I ask that everything is sent by " International Signed For " its a bit expensive but at least stuff has allways turned up.

Maybe for presents ask for some money to be paid into your bank account, then go out yourself and buy the things in Thailand.

At last, I thought there would be some liled minded person

Funny enough, she said exactly that to me, money in the bank next time.

And as I say something posted from Switzerland not arrived either, not just from my Mum. It's disgraceful.

Oh, and did I mention my Mum DOES have the correct address.

Hmmm you are the common denominator here, did you actually give them the correct address to start with ?

I have the opposite experience in that 99% of stuff sent to me does arrive.

You're lucky then because when your old Mum goes to the expense and the effort to buy gifts then post them off only for them not to arrive is extemely irritating to say the least.

Is stealing parcels part of the Buddhist culture?

Your post could have gone missing in England or Switzerland for all you know. Edited by sbk
keep it civil

My experience where I currently live East side of Pattaya is as follows.

I live here now for 8 months and during the first months EMS packages I always had to go to the post with the tracking number otherwise they would not be delivered 2 days after arriving at the local post office.

A few visits to the postmaster brought change to that, however my letter box hasn't been used once during those 8 months and I'm expected to receive monthly statements from 3 different companies smile.png

You most definitely need to get a post office box at the closest post office. They do not seem to like your address. Have had a box for 2 years, and not one issue yet. The Thai post is xlnt

especially when shipping EMS.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my Samsung SIII

I have suffered the same as the OP.

Parcels from abroad do not arrive.

When I renewed my passport, they sent it EMS and it had to be signed for. It was left at the local noodle shop and they signed for it. I was home at the time, so there was no reason for it not to come to our house.

That is possibly the problem, the Thai PO doesn't necessarily deliver to the intended address.

I have lived here for 6 years and I have NEVER had a letter delivered here. The postman just drops everything at the local shop or noodle seller.

Edit - when I have had parcels sent from abroad, it has been addressed in Thai

Edited by loong

I've had 4 different addresses in BKK and another in the sticks and lost 1 pack with some credit cards in 10 years. I suspect based on the near perfect record that my home country contact failed to send the pack. I only had to sign for one package with 100 bucks of DVDs from Amazon 7 years ago. I never signed for anything else and received all letters and packs. I have very important mailings coming from credit cards, ATM cards to product packs and critical home country notices regarding pensions and such. DHL and Fedex unnecessary in my experience. I view Thai post as very reliable and professional. I never even had packages arrive later than 2 weeks. Also everything addressed in ENGLISH

ps: sure I have some complaints about Thailand but Thai Post is not one of them

Edited by Nana Cowboy

So how would that work then ? or are we now in the Twilight zone of conspriacy theories....where in the xenophobic Thai post office in its attempt to scam money out of the farangs has cunningly installed a "magic" box in all its offices to identify whose mummys from overseas have put money in the Christmas cards for their darling little boys and girls..

one assumes said magic box also identifies the currency conderned and calculates the current exchange rate against the THB, so Somchai the postal worker knows exactly what sort of "tip" he is getting for Xmas ?...rolleyes.gif

I don't know, Soutpeel, but all I do know is every time I sent a few hundred baht in an envelope it never arrived, even if the address was written in Thai. We did it just as a test from a post office in Pattaya when we first heard about mail going missing. We just figured they had a scanner that could pick up anything metallic in an envelope. I think currency has something metallic in it to prevent counterfeiting.

been receiving packages via normal Thai mail from overseas for last 11 years, and cant remember an occasion the package didnt arrive eventually....are you sure its not your address that is to c*ck ?

No, she defo has the correct address.....I use to receive stuff but nothing gets here now. And as I say it hasn't just come from one person. Who knows why but it makes you lose a little faith. It's my daughters birthday tomorrow and now she hasn't got Nanny's gift, and it was sent over a month ago. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

It's the local postman. Anything sent to me with a foreign name on is stolen, anything with a Thai name on it makes it.

Not all local postmen nick stuff for foreigners, which is why many of you get everything sent.

Try using a Thai name on the package ...... works for me.

As another person pointed our, a post office box bypasses the nicking postman.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I don't know, Soutpeel, but all I do know is every time I sent a few hundred baht in an envelope it never arrived, even if the address was written in Thai. We did it just as a test from a post office in Pattaya when we first heard about mail going missing. We just figured they had a scanner that could pick up anything metallic in an envelope. I think currency has something metallic in it to prevent counterfeiting.

Money sniffer dog?

I've never had a problem with Thai Post going or receiving. But I gather that certain post codes seem to have problems. Some posters have reported numerous problems and others none, would seem certain offices are a little bit inquisitive and light fingered. Funny how the crooked bureaucrats are all attracted to the same locations.

You're lucky then because when your old Mum goes to the expense and the effort to buy gifts then post them off only for them not to arrive is extemely irritating to say the least.

Your post could have gone missing in England or Switzerland for all you know.

I lived in Switzerland doing business for 40 years and only ever once (and I suspect the letter was kidnapped by a rival) did a letter not arrive.

Your post could have gone missing in England or Switzerland for all you know.

I lived in Switzerland doing business for 40 years and only ever once (and I suspect the letter was kidnapped by a rival) did a letter not arrive.

I've lived in Thailand for 9 years and never had any post go missing but anecdotal evidence is not really worth very much. Are you claiming that nothing ever goes missing in the Swiss postal system? Edited by inthepink

Never had anything go missing thats sent to me here in Thailand.. Lived the last 2 years in isaan and receive a parcel from home everymonth... Had 5 xmas parcels sent from England and received 3 already with the other 2 arriving soon hopefully... Just use the normal post from home.. no fedex or dhl or other private companies...

I've never lost anything in the post. I second what SBK said, double check your address is 100% correct and maybe check with the Post Office?

Ditto, never had one go missing delayed but never missing. The biggest delay was found to be in the UK not here.

I have even received mail that the address was such a mess but the postman found me by my name on his round "I think this for you" so I dont know whats going on with your mail but I guess it's easier to blame the Thais, how do you know they even got to Thailand?

Edited by Tafia

@in the pink: More or less, yes. Ring a firm in the afternoon, get the catalog the next morning.Never failed, no one ever claimed that the bill had disappeared in the post.

I meant the postal service as a whole. I've never had any mail go missing in the UK either but that doesn't mean that other people haven't.

Here's an excerpt from an article about the Swiss postal system:

Swiss Post values its reputation as a world-leading postal company for reliability, speed and security. The average time for a letter from Switzerland to reach a European destination is 2.1 days. Each year over 97% of letters and a similar percentage of parcels arrive on time. Parcel tracking by customers is possible with an online Track & Trace service. Nonetheless, some expats do report loss of mail in transit to and from their home countries, with mail to/from the US being a particular problem.

Maybe the problem lies with expats and not the postal service in any particular country. I wonder if there are obnoxious foreigners living in Switzerland, asking if stealing parcels is part of Christian culture?

Edited by inthepink