Looking For Used Cbr 150

LorenzoW

Hi all,

I am currently looking around for a CBR 150 secondhand in Chiang Mai for around 20-30k baht as a first real motorcycle (I know how to drive a semi-auto). If anyone knows where I could get one, or has one for sale it would be great. Also, although I have a friend who is willing to teach me how to use a clutch, it would be helpful if someone would take a few minutes to show me how and all so I could ride the bike back to my apartment. Thanks.

~Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

Using a clutch is much like using a brake on a bicycle or a brake on an auto scooter, except in the reverse direction.

It is not difficult once you understand that you have to balance engine RPM. So it is like stopping a bicycle on ice except as I said letting the lever out rather than pulling it in.

It will take 3 or four attempts to get the bike moving smoothly after that if you can get home without stopping!

With a manual transmission remember at lower speeds say under 60 kph you always brake and change gear at the same time. This way you are always in the correct gear. Do not coast with the clutch pulled in unless you are already in 1st gear or doing an emergency stop!

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick replies and tips. They are appreciated.

@Macknife Yeah, I'm not looking for something too nice, more of just a bike that I can learn on, have fun with, and then sell it in a couple years. Thanks for the offer though.

ever check out mocyc - dot - com ?

If you can read Thai great if not get someone to help you input the search under

market section/sportbikes/honda cbr150/chiangmai

They always have a bunch of cbr150's in that price range

probably a few in Chiangmia too I would bet

I do read Thai decent enough, better than I speak it anyways, and so I checked out that site. They did have a couple CBRs but the ads were old and have probably been sold. Also communicating and learning to ride from a farang would be easier for me than trying to learn from a Thai. Thanks for the link though.

~Lorenzo

I do read Thai decent enough, better than I speak it anyways, and so I checked out that site. They did have a couple CBRs but the ads were old and have probably been sold. Also communicating and learning to ride from a farang would be easier for me than trying to learn from a Thai. Thanks for the link though.

~Lorenzo

No problem

You know I do not know why but on that site ( which seems down right now )

When you click on Market part way down the page is a section that has Scooter subsections,

Then Sport Bikes, big Bikes, Naked bikes etc.

Well the majority of Honda CBR 150s is in the scooter section for some reason

It is the last scooter subsection that says something like NSR's etc under it.

I would give a better descrip but as I said I am not able to get on the site right now.

PS: on the learning to ride part,

I don't want to rain on your idea but if you have never driven manual in a truck or car

then I would suggest not riding the bike home.

It is not hard per se' but there is coordination involved with shifting,accelerating,braking,clutch in,clutch out etc.

Get a pal to ride it home for you then take it to a big empty lot to learn.

The street with traffic is a poor learning area.

I think you will be happier & safer in the long run :)

Edited by mania

Thank you for the advise, I actually agree with all of it. I do actually know how to drive a manual, and I have an American drivers license (if that means anything.) I live near Payap University and so my current plan is to trt to meet with someone around the carefour/bigC extra area, so that I would not have to drive very far at all. Also Payap often has lots of big empty lots for practicing in so I would have lots of space to learn.

• Like 1

Thank you for the advise, I actually agree with all of it. I do actually know how to drive a manual, and I have an American drivers license (if that means anything.) I live near Payap University and so my current plan is to trt to meet with someone around the carefour/bigC extra area, so that I would not have to drive very far at all. Also Payap often has lots of big empty lots for practicing in so I would have lots of space to learn.

Terrific

If you have driven manual you will be right on it & pick it up very quickly

Glad to hear about the area to practice too.

I am familiar with that area & yes some good spots for you.

Good luck

Just go for it!

Funny thing is that I learned how to ride a manual bike on the exact same one you're asking about. Once you make that switch from clutching with your left foot to your left hand, and from shifting with your right hand to your left foot you're golden.

The wee CBR is a very forgiving bike and it's a bit hard to get into trouble with it. Keep the revs low like you would in a small block and then build up your confidence until you're ripping through the gears. Eventually you WILL become one with the bike and everything just happens naturally. When that happens you'll be in nirvana; your body will automatically do what needs to be done and you'll be simply concentrating on what's going on around you.

• Like 2

Have you thougt about renting one for a couple of days or even a week just to see how you get on? Thats what i did when i first started riding a manual bike (only about 8 months ago so i'm no expert). I did stall it about 5 times trying to get away from the garage, got to the first set of traffic lights, stalled again trying to get away, eventually made it to the sanctuary of the nearby tesco car park and rode around that for half an hour, just starting, stopping, etc. You may find that afte that you may want something a bit bigger for your first bike likke the 250 cbr.

Whatever you do, have fun, take it easy, stay safe its not as hard as you are imagining it is!

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Yeah I have heard of people renting bikes before to try them out but haven't really considered it for myself. As price is a concern I can't really afford much more than a cbr 150, so if I did decide to rent it would be solely for the purpose of learning, but then that goes back to what I had posted earlier. What I may do here if I can't find a bike soon is actually have my friend teach me to ride on his bike when he has the time, and then transfer that information, rather than trying to learn on a new bike entirely.

I did hear something about that. I thought it was that the actual shifter part is different, e.g. there is no back pedal on the CBR, not that the shifting pattern itself was off. Is it upside down or something?

No it is actually the right way for a motorcycle.

It is yes single lever & no heel lever

You shift up to up shift & down to down shift so makes perfect sense.

There are GP racers who add a linkage because it is their opinion they want the fastest shifts on the way up

as they are accelerating & dont mind clicking up to down shift instead.

But yes a CBR shifts as a normal motorcycle not like a scooter.

From neutral which is between 1st & 2nd gear you press down for 1st

after that all up shifts to reach top gear.

• Like 1