Nationwide Visa Credit Card

Having a big problem with my Nationwide Visa Credit Card which offers no charges on transactions.Unfortunately altho my first purchase went thru without any problem subsequent purchases have been declined.First of all Nationwide said it was a Pin Lock and now say everything is okay but when I use my card it comes up 'do not proceed' .I was even asked to make a cash withdrawal which I did resulting on a 150 baht fee at the ATM and a £3.00 fee on my bank statement.Nationwide have now asked me to phone them!!

Looking thru past forums I have read that nationwide would only work on machines which required a pin number which so far has not been requested.Has anyone had this experience and found the answer.

My experience with Nationwide last month was that the software is quite trigger happy if it thinks there is dodgy transaction.

One way to communicate with them is to go online and send a secure message.

(At least that is what I was told when I was locked out of telephone banking)

No, you do not have to use a credit card terminal that requests a PIN (and I concur with Briggsy - there are charges for overseas transactions when using a Nationwide credit card, at least with mine there are anyway).

Edited by inthepink

There are now charges for using this card abroad. Have you notified them that you are abroad?. Transactions that are deemed unusual do get blocked but if you notify them of your whereabouts there are usually no problems.

Best way is to use secure messaging via internet or you will have to phone them so you can continue to use your card.

All this may seem a lot of trouble but try to look at it from their point of view i.e. if it was fraud and they authorised it how much trouble would you have to go to in getting your money back.

If they block a card for what they perceive to be an unusual transaction, they will tell you that's what they have done.

However, I disagree that they have a fairly good system in place. After eight years of using my ATM card almost exclusively in Thailand I had my card blocked for doing just that last year. They could not give me a reasonable explanation of why they consideried it an unusual transaction (probably because they have no idea of how their software works).

Edited by inthepink

I will assume you are not a troll. Here you go. All charges are correct.

http://www.nationwid...atescharges.htm

I suggest you read the charges before using your card again. Your statement about no charges is totally incorrect.

That depends on what you're using the card for and which card you have. If you have a 'Select' credit card and are using it to make purchases there are no foreign transaction fees.

I have had exactly the same problem, have been useing the card for fuel etc for over 4 years and suddenly it is blocked, sent them a secure e mail, card unblocked for 1 day and then blocked again, really crap service and now 4 days and no reply to my latest secure e mail, I think they must have changed their software and they don,t know how to use it, a complete bunch of tossers!! Really very poor customer service.

You can use your Nationwide card in europe free of charge but outside Europe there is a charge.Used to be free worldwide,sadly no longer.Always let them know when you intend using the card overseas or it will be blocked at some point.

the 150 baht is a fee from the thai banks for using their atms's , to avoid this charge you can go inside some branches with your passport and ask for a cash advance - some branches have a small hand held device for making the transaction.

i have a nationwide flexaccount and they charge me 2% and one pound per transaction.

the 150 baht is a fee from the thai banks for using their atms's , to avoid this charge you can go inside some branches with your passport and ask for a cash advance - some branches have a small hand held device for making the transaction.

i have a nationwide flexaccount and they charge me 2% and one pound per transaction.

Or you just use an AEON ATM that does not charge that extra 150 baht fee. They have a good locator on web site but not very well marked at some locations.

You can use your Nationwide card in europe free of charge but outside Europe there is a charge.Used to be free worldwide,sadly no longer.Always let them know when you intend using the card overseas or it will be blocked at some point.

I have a Nationwide Credit Card and I think their "Europe offer" only applies for cardholders who have had their card since Feb 2011 or earlier. I think the charge is 2% for purchases for all currencies other than sterling for anyone who got their card after that.

Now I use a Halifax Clarity for non-sterling credit card purchases. I never use a credit card for cash withdrawals.

I used my NW credit card at Bumrungrad this week and it got declined. I phoned NW to check why and they said the PIN was incorrect. I said i wasn't asked to enter my PIN when the transaction was made, and was told that if the PIN is overriden, then it will show up as wrong PIN and the transaction will be declined. So I'm not sure if Bumrungrad have machines that don't ask for a PIN, o whether they just overrode it. But my NW credit card is declined much more often than other credit card I've used in Thailand. The biggest problem I have with NW is them declining payments I make online. I phone them quote often. I think they are very over-cautious.

There are no transaction fees on NW Select credit card if you make a purchase outside the UK. But there is a fee for cash withdrawals.

Edited by davejones

I have a Nationwide Credit Card and I think their "Europe offer" only applies for cardholders who have had their card since Feb 2011 or earlier. I think the charge is 2% for purchases for all currencies other than sterling for anyone who got their card after that.

Now I use a Halifax Clarity for non-sterling credit card purchases. I never use a credit card for cash withdrawals.

Nationwide have 2 credit cards - one for everyone and one for Flexaccount customers only. The one for Flexaccount customers makes no charge for worldwide purchases.

http://www.nationwid...ard/default.htm

I agree with you about the Clarity card but I also use mine for cash withdrawals. As long as you tranfer money into the card the day after you've used it for a cash withdrawal it's dirt cheap.

That is not the case for Nationwide Select Credit Card. All foreign purchases are free of transaction fees. Change your card from the Nationwide to Nationwide select of you use it outside the UK.

whistling.gif I have a Master Card ATM/debit card that I have used for over 3 years now to buy on-line.

Roughly 6 months ago ... give a take or month .... after Master Card had many card details stolen in New York ....they initiated an extra security procedure with the U.S. bank that issued me that card,

Now, for on-line purchases using my Master Card ATM/debit card I must:

1. Have the merchant I am purchasing on-line from be pre-approved by my bank OR

2, If the merchant I'm buying from on-line is not a pre-approved merchant, then I must make a telephone call to my bank with the name, date and amount of that on-line purchase and give my bank a pre-arranged extra security pin number which they mailed here to me in Thailand.

Without that pin number any on-line purchase will be disallowed.

Pain in the a--.

Master Card claims it's an extra security precaution for my security.

whistling.gif

Dumping Nationwide was the best recent decision I made. I have zero issues with my Metrobank debit and credit cards, never even inform them when I'm going abroad, and never paid one penny in fees.

snap ,me to no charges ,use aeon machines ,no charges and a good exchange rate ,now if metro only allowed you to do swift transfers online.

Thank you for all your replies and understand about the charges which is not the issue.My first transaction which was for Bahts 8000 went thru without a hitch and without any charges the other end or this end and I might add at a great rate.It was all the subsequent purchases which were declined and i am dealing with the online help desk.it seems to have come to a stalemate as they think everything is okay and now want to speak with me on the phone.I even tried to use it again at the golf club today and tried without it being swiped first and it still came u p 'do not proceed' I've got to say I do not understand the VISA input to this and maybe they are doing something Nationwide are not aware of

As one of your replies indicated Nationwide is very "trigger happy". I've been in Thailand for 3 weeks this trip. I informed Nationwide of my trip in advance. They know where I stay in Thailand. They know where I use my credit card, ie. Tesco Lotus and that's about it. So I go shopping in Tesco two weeks ago for 7000 odd baht and my credit card was declined. "Please contact your bank!"

Annoyed isn't quite the word and embarrassed too as I had insufficient cash on me to meet the bill and had to find an instant ATM. So I wrote to Nationwide and told them what I think of them. "We've unblocked your card now!". Thanks a lot, rather late in the day. What's the point of having a credit card if it doesn't work when you need it? ie. when you've got no cash!

I've told them straight, any more problems and I'm ditching their card which I have had for yonks. But they don't care do they?

This comes exactly a year on from another incident when Nationwide wanted to upgrade my credit card to their platinum one. This of course meant cancelling my current card whilst I was still in Thailand. What wonderful service! And they were not open to any delay in issuing the new card. So I told them to stuff the new card (and all it's wonderful benefits) and carried on with my old card. Which doesn't work too well either now!

Hopeless. Couldn't organise the proverbial pi** up in a brewery. Anyone suggest a reliable UK credit card for use in Thailand?

Happy days.

As one of your replies indicated Nationwide is very "trigger happy". I've been in Thailand for 3 weeks this trip. I informed Nationwide of my trip in advance. They know where I stay in Thailand. They know where I use my credit card, ie. Tesco Lotus and that's about it. So I go shopping in Tesco two weeks ago for 7000 odd baht and my credit card was declined. "Please contact your bank!"

Annoyed isn't quite the word and embarrassed too as I had insufficient cash on me to meet the bill and had to find an instant ATM. So I wrote to Nationwide and told them what I think of them. "We've unblocked your card now!". Thanks a lot, rather late in the day. What's the point of having a credit card if it doesn't work when you need it? ie. when you've got no cash!

I've told them straight, any more problems and I'm ditching their card which I have had for yonks. But they don't care do they?

This comes exactly a year on from another incident when Nationwide wanted to upgrade my credit card to their platinum one. This of course meant cancelling my current card whilst I was still in Thailand. What wonderful service! And they were not open to any delay in issuing the new card. So I told them to stuff the new card (and all it's wonderful benefits) and carried on with my old card. Which doesn't work too well either now!

Hopeless. Couldn't organise the proverbial pi** up in a brewery. Anyone suggest a reliable UK credit card for use in Thailand?

Happy days.

Halifax Clarity. No foreign currency transaction charges even on cash withdrawals. 12.99% APR if you're creditworthy. I used it to draw cash from ATMs and then transfer money in a day later (you aren't supposed to pre-fund it). Costs pennies.

thank you everyone for replies.Nationwide have now apologised for this problem and will replace my card but will only send this to my UK billing address.They have also said they will refund any charges if I use my flexi account for any retail transactions.

All in all have now responded positively to my concerns and lets hope everything else goes according to plan .I have this suspicion that there is more than one type of block on the account and they are not aware of it but for now consider the matter closed.

I have a nationwide visa credit card been here in thailand nearly 2 years , i have informed them about my circumstances never had a problem , every thing a ok

I find it hard to believe that you have told them EVERYTHING about your circumstances ! thumbsup.gif