Texaco's Remarkable Service

jbrain

This evening I went to fill up the truck at the Texaco gasstation next to Tesco South Pattaya on Sukhumvit, or at least that was my intention.

When I entered the station I noticed that the first row of pumps was occupied by a car already so I moved on to the second row where only a small motorbike was being served.

Same as everyone would do, I waited politely behind the motorbike and when he was served and left his place I took over that place in front of the pump.However the person who was serving the pump disappeared.

No problem as I expected him to return soon.So we waited and waited to the point that my Thai passenger started to get nervous, which explains already a lot I guess. In the mean time at the first row of pumps some 4 -5 more motorbikes had arrived and all got served by the employee located at those pumps.I also noticed some more employees walking around in the station grounds doing actually nothing.

Then, after about 5 minutes an employee appears and walks towards my car. I open the tank cap and also lower my left side window as I expect him to came ask how much diesel I want. When it becomes clear that nobody shows up at the window, I look in my rear mirror and see that the employee is chatting with the driver of a car that has arrived behind me, and starts proceeding to the almost impossible task of getting the pump tubing to that car as it is parked quite out of reach.

So in short, the employee walked past the side of the car with the foreigner without a glance to serve a native who has arrived probably 5 minutes after me.At the same time some more employees had been walking around doing nothing.

I'm sure some of you will understand the feeling that came up at that point

Now please let some of the apologists join in to remind me of what a wonderful land of smile this is and how much we are loved here by those sooo generous and non-racist population, because I have lost that view.

Edited by Rimmer

I'm sure that it had more to do with the Nationality of the driver than of the manufacturer of the car.Anyway I never heard what you mention about K bank since every new truck available here is manufactured in Thailand.

I'm sure that it had more to do with the Nationality of the driver than of the manufacturer of the car.Anyway I never heard what you mention about K bank since every new truck available here is manufactured in Thailand.

nah, i still believe it was the truck issuetongue.png

Seriously, lighten up, there are idiots everywhere and if you let each one bother you, you will live a very frustrating life.

Do keep in mind, that those working filling up the cars are not exactly the brightest bunch,he/she may be got scared of a farang, because he/she does not speak any English.

i fill up ay esso just down the road and when the staff learned there that i can speak Thai(few years ago) they often wave me in to an empty pump even when there is a queue

nah, i still believe it was the truck issuetongue.png

Seriously, lighten up, there are idiots everywhere and if you let each one bother you, you will live a very frustrating life.

Do keep in mind, that those working filling up the cars are not exactly the brightest bunch,he/she may be got scared of a farang, because he/she does not speak any English.

i fill up ay esso just down the road and when the staff learned there that i can speak Thai(few years ago) they often wave me in to an empty pump even when there is a queue

I get a good service at almost every pump in Thailand, the behaviour at this particular pump however was remarkable however and worth mentioning in my opinion.

Take in mind that I mentioned that my Thai passenger got nervous about the behaviour, and Thais are renowned for their Chai yen yen.

Edited by jbrain

I had excellent service at the Green Leaf at Banglamung a couple of weeks ago, I was by myself in the car, the service guy gave me 2 bottles of water and all the windows were cleaned by an attendent who wasn't serving someone.

Had another situation a couple of months ago at the Green Leaf near the train tracks down out the back of Sukhumvit. It was packed an I waited for my turn, I drove the car to bowser - however the bowser was not on the tank side of my car. I was happy for him to use the pump across the back of the car. I have done that before here in Thailand. Of course do it all the time back in farangland. I only have a Mazda sedan - so the hose easily reaches. Of course this attendent didn't want to/ not allowed to fill my car parked on the wrong side of the bowser. He told me I had to drive around to have the car the facing the same side tank-bowser, there were 3 cars already in that queue and I had an important golf date! So I got out of the car PASSIVELY and filled the car myself, smiling like a loon the whole time.... job done..

they were shy thinking they might have to communicate with someone they could not understand.

That would mean that no foreigners are served at that gas station ?

After all there is not much communication involved in filling up a gas tank, and it can be reasonable assumed that a foreigner who drives a car in Thailand isn't a one time tourist and will be able to understand and speak 3 words of Thai.

• Like 1

I've been driving throughout Thailand for over ten years and in and around Pattaya for eight years and have never experienced anything like the OP has described.

A vast majority of attendants do the job efficiently without fear or favour and deal with every customer - farang or Thai - regardless of vehicle make - in the order they arrive at the pump.

I have no reason to doubt the OP's experience and can only assume it was a one off. There have been some cases of gas stations around south Pattaya scamming customers, so maybe there is a bit of Mafia type mob operating there who are not properly managed.

It is probably because the gas station is so close to the 'centre of action', where anything goes, and much of the behaviour you will experience in such areas is not typical of what you will find elsewhere in Pattaya, let alone the rest of Thailand.

That part of 'sin city' does tend to attract the dregs from all over Thailand.

I suggest you stay away from South Pattaya when buying your fuel.

• Like 2

I've been driving throughout Thailand for over ten years and in and around Pattaya for eight years and have never experienced anything like the OP has described.

A vast majority of attendants do the job efficiently without fear or favour and deal with every customer - farang or Thai - regardless of vehicle make - in the order they arrive at the pump.

I have no reason to doubt the OP's experience and can only assume it was a one off. There have been some cases of gas stations around south Pattaya scamming customers, so maybe there is a bit of Mafia type mob operating there who are not properly managed.

It is probably because the gas station is so close to the 'centre of action', where anything goes, and much of the behaviour you will experience in such areas is not typical of what you will find elsewhere in Pattaya, let alone the rest of Thailand.

What a load of <deleted> Mobi, i am surprised at you!

You realise the station he is talking about is on Sukhumvit not walking street or soi 6?

Maybe the name confused you as it is Caltex not Texaco, i have used this one many times without incident, so i can only assume the OP's scenario was a bizarre one off.

Filling up my motorbike I've also had my share of bad experiences.

Not sure the name of the station, the first on your left when turning onto sukhumvit coming from central Pattaya going Bkk direction.

They have 2 bowsers dedicated to motorbikes, so most times you have a line of 5 - 7 bikes waiting to get filled up, with about 10 other bowsers each with an attendant sitting totally idle as there are no cars lining up.

I know it's the local manager's policy, at some other petrol stations they also do this but only when very busy, which I can understand...

Not when a 20 bowser station has 5 bikes lining up...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

You experience has been my experience too...much better than having to pump one's own gas as is the practice in my First World USA.

The Op should have added 'NOT' after his heading 'Texaco's Remarkable Service' as this would give TV members an idea what the topic was really about.

I opened the topic anticipating Texaco were offering something others were not.

Anyway, been here for about 7 years and never had any problem with gas stations. Maybe everyone thought someone else had already served you. A lack of communication between the attendants would be my guess.

You experience has been my experience too...much better than having to pump one's own gas as is the practice in my First World USA.

Please take note that I mentioned already that I never experienced this behaviour ever before, and I'm driving for 15 years in Thailand.

But what this guy managed was too striking to be ignored.

The Op should have added 'NOT' after his heading 'Texaco's Remarkable Service' as this would give TV members an idea what the topic was really about.

I opened the topic anticipating Texaco were offering something others were not.

Anyway, been here for about 7 years and never had any problem with gas stations. Maybe everyone thought someone else had already served you. A lack of communication between the attendants would be my guess.

Well I think the thread title is correct as the service was so remarkable as I've never received a similar service elsewhere.

As for your suggestion about the possible confusion among the attendants, I mentioned in the OP already that when I arrived at said pump an attendant was present and serving a motorbike.It was that he simply disappeared upon my arrival.

two of my cars need 95 octane. Texaco Sukhumvit is (to my knowledge) the only service station that sells 95. never had any problem. au contraire, always encountered very polite attendants.

OOPS! i think i made a "wrong mistake" and mixed up Caltex with Texaco wai.gif

Edited by Naam

two of my cars need 95 octane. Texaco Sukhumvit is (to my knowledge) the only service station that sells 95. never had any problem. au contraire, always encountered very polite attendants.

But you know that there are 4 Texaco ( Caltex ) pumps on Sukumvith ?

I think the OP is talking about the Caltex station next door to the Eastern Furniture centre, which is itself next door to Tesco. I've use this station regularly for years (and will be topping up the tank there again this afternoon) and I have only ever found the staff to be polite, cheerful and helpful.

Sometimes, after filling my pick-up's tank, the guy goes to get change, and seems to be gone a long time, so now, I never fill my tank, just put in 1000 baht, and so its easy to give the money and take off, same with the motor bike, just put in 100 baht, and not have to wait for the change or count it. Now I have a new bike, so have been trying to keep a record of km and amount of gas put in, but at one station, they seemed to get a bit nervous when I started writing down the numbers. Guess they never seen anyone do this before, or they thought I was checking up on them.

You state that you stayed in your car.

I always get out.

Possibly the attendant mistook you for the guy who had just filled his tank.I have sat behind guys that use their phones after filling up and do not move away from the pump.

I also use the Tesco Caltex.Never any problem.

You state that you stayed in your car.

I always get out.

Possibly the attendant mistook you for the guy who had just filled his tank.I have sat behind guys that use their phones after filling up and do not move away from the pump.

I also use the Tesco Caltex.Never any problem.

Good point.

I always get out too, mainly to ensure that I don't get cheated and ensure that at least according to the pump, I get what I paid for. Apparently, the scam is often perpetrated on customers, (usually farangs), who don;t bother to check the pump properly. (Of course there's no guarantees that the pump itself hasn't been tampered with.)

But getting out and standing next to your vehicle certainly makes your presence known to any recalcitrant attendants that maybe lurking lazily nearby....

jbrain, now you know threw the posters that :

the misadventure you described never happened to somebody else on this particularly station even nowhere in Thailand and in the last 10 years.

It must be your fault somewhere and how dare you insinuate that a Thai may have done something wrong or doing nothing at all.

Edited by luckyluke

jbrain, now you know threw the posters that :

the misadventure you described never happened to somebody else on this particularly station even nowhere in Thailand and in the last 10 years.

It must be your fault somewhere and how dare you insinuate that a Thai may have done something wrong or doing nothing at all.

I have read the comments and as I mentioned earlier that this is the first time I experience such behaviour anywhere, I agree that it most probably was a one off.

However I still try to figure out the reason for this rude and in my eyes rasistic behaviour.

The fact that i might have been mistaken for the previous customer, as another poster mentioned, doesn't come in play in my opinion since the differences between a moped and a truck is a bit obvious.

I use this Caltex station about 80-90% of the time when I fill up in Pattaya, both for my car and my bike. Always appreciated the staff there, they are usually very courteous and service minded.

However I did have a similar bad experience a month or two ago. I came in on my bike and took the spot that the previous bike had just used to fill up, the attendant walked off, most likely to hand in the cash of the last sale, as he was walking back again to the pumps, an mc taxi drove in on the other side of the pump and the dimw-t started serving him instead of me. Haven’t seen that guy around there before or after, so maybe we were just both unlucky with some temporary staff.

No idea where in "First World USA" you live but in some states like Oregon it's illegal to pump your own gas.