30 Armed Men Storm Volunteer Base, Steal All Weaponry Available: Pattani

webfact

Was discussing terrorism in the South with the wife today. One question I posed was that if you were a Jihadist intent on creating a Muslim Caliphate in the South then why go around killing teachers and rubber workers? If I were a good Muslim sociopath, presumably well advised by experienced phychopaths, I would be setting off bombs in Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok (we all know where) to destroy tourism and bring the government to the bargaining table, yet we don't see this. Read somewhere an analysis that suggested that many parties are profitting nicely with this little uprising, don't know whether true or not, but it does make you wonder. The governmnet doesn't go all out and neither do the Islamists, is there some sort of deal in place where certain things are allowed and not others, such as a wider bombing scenario?

Hmmmmm

There might be something like, if you want separation from Thailand, or will throw bombs everywhere, we will send all Islam people from the whole of Thailand to your area.

Was discussing terrorism in the South with the wife today. One question I posed was that if you were a Jihadist intent on creating a Muslim Caliphate in the South then why go around killing teachers and rubber workers? If I were a good Muslim sociopath, presumably well advised by experienced phychopaths, I would be setting off bombs in Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok (we all know where) to destroy tourism and bring the government to the bargaining table, yet we don't see this. Read somewhere an analysis that suggested that many parties are profitting nicely with this little uprising, don't know whether true or not, but it does make you wonder. The governmnet doesn't go all out and neither do the Islamists, is there some sort of deal in place where certain things are allowed and not others, such as a wider bombing scenario?

Hmmmmm

There might be something like, if you want separation from Thailand, or will throw bombs everywhere, we will send all Islam people from the whole of Thailand to your area.

Probably to hot for them.

"Suddenly armed men burst in". So the doors to the "armory" were open or not locked? Sounds like Thai professionals. Oh, right, they were not pros, but volunteers. Eh, volunteers to do what? Guard guns? Did they have a big sign outside pointing to the door too, saying "Here they are, come and get them!"?

This is pathetic, even for Thais.

"The intruders made off with four assault rifles, one M16 machine gun, five bulletproof vests, one radio-communications device, five mobile phones and more than 100 rounds of ammunition".

The "haul" of weapons looks like personal issued weapons and ammunition only considering there were only 5 there. I think the M16 is a typo and should read M60, unless they have another definition of assault rifles and machine guns..................wink.png

Not sure where the armoury bit came from ?

I thought about the M16 thing too for a minute then I realised that in today's world most journalist's

call AK's, M16's & M4's "machineguns" and they also call APC's "tanks".....I found the story odd that

the so called "armoury" was right across the street from a school too.

Edited by sunshine51

"Suddenly armed men burst in". So the doors to the "armory" were open or not locked? Sounds like Thai professionals. Oh, right, they were not pros, but volunteers. Eh, volunteers to do what? Guard guns? Did they have a big sign outside pointing to the door too, saying "Here they are, come and get them!"?

This is pathetic, even for Thais.

"The intruders made off with four assault rifles, one M16 machine gun, five bulletproof vests, one radio-communications device, five mobile phones and more than 100 rounds of ammunition".

The "haul" of weapons looks like personal issued weapons and ammunition only considering there were only 5 there. I think the M16 is a typo and should read M60, unless they have another definition of assault rifles and machine guns..................wink.png

Not sure where the armoury bit came from ?

I thought about the M16 thing too for a minute then I realised that in today's world most journalist's

call AK's, M16's & M4's "machineguns" and they also call APC's "tanks".....I found the story odd that

the so called "armoury" was right across the street from a school too.

Again, in addition, if it was in fact a typo, then they got the M60 but no rounds; M60 being belt fed and you would likely be looking at about 1,000 rounds at least.

Buuuuuuuut, that begs to wonder what they would be doing with the weapon and no rounds? Just for show?

Edit: Point of interest, what is the standard issued weapon to soldiers in the Thai army?

Edited by chrisinth

Well then I am just so relieved knowing that there are no terrorists involved in this, just think, if there were then maybe the people would have something to worry about. Having our illustrious deputy pm tell us that there are no terrorists in Thailand really takes the sting out of this, maybe they are the new boy scouts movement checking on the security so there is nothing to worry about, back to business as usual.

For sure, these cause shoot soldiers riding down street on motorcycle for no reason and go throughout great lengths to set bombs in areas that might take out soldiers. These dudes sold the weapons and concocted some story. They are actually lucky they did nit get taken out anyway unless they were ready to respond with violence during the exchange.

If you can muster 30 men in a relatively remote area to mount an attack and they they melt back into the populus, it strikes me that the majority of people there support autonomy.

Why not give them more autonomy if that is what the majority want?

Because that would be seen as loosing face, and would be seen by the population as backing down, the nationalism drilled into them just would not be able to cope with such a common sence idea.
  • Like 1

If you can muster 30 men in a relatively remote area to mount an attack and they they melt back into the populus, it strikes me that the majority of people there support autonomy.

Why not give them more autonomy if that is what the majority want?

Thailand’s national identity is predicated on the pillars of Nation, Religion and King that the military have pledged to uphold. I suggest this is why their is resistance from the military to granting autonomy. You may like to go to the URL below that is an analysis on the conflict written by a Thai Army colonel.

http://www.defence.g...d_Nurakkate.pdf

I have often wondered about this myself...... Seems like the logical thing to do would be to set off a few truck bombs in the northern tourist places you mention, then submit a list of demands to the Thai government. In Thailand when things confuse me I usually try the " follow the money", which can bring amazing clarity to mysterious Asia. But that does not really seem to work here.

Never would have happened had these lads been on duty at the armory

dads-army_2012067c.jpg.

United with these guys below, nothing would have gone missing. A potent force indeed!

Chalerm, are you paying attention? Do you have a cunning plan?

post-9891-0-70829200-1354970078_thumb.jp

Listen very carefully. I will say this only once. Chalerm is busy right now auditionng for a part in the Thai version of 'Allo 'Allo.