Ford Repairs?

oldsailor35

Took my 2007 Ford Escape to motor mech with vibration, thought it might be "wheel alignment". But was informed that Universal joints were stuffed, cost to replace Bht 2500 ea plus labour. So instructed them to go ahead and get the parts. after waiting one week was told that i would have to buy the whole drive shaft costing about Bht 20000. after waiting a couple of days i went back to see if parts had arrived and was told "NO ORDER" parts now Bht25000 'up'

Decided to ask Ford dealer in Naton how much to repair. "Sorry not sure, but think Bht 48000 up "

Has anybody here had this problem with a Ford Escape ?

Are you talking about the CV joints and front half shafts that drive the front wheels or the universal joints on the drive shaft to the rear diff or rear wheels on the 4WD version? The price and the whole drive shaft comment sounds like it is the front half shafts and CV joint. These are expensive for most FWD cars.

We had a number of 2004 2.3L 4WD Ford Escapes as company cars. I do not recall any issues with Uni joints but we did have one or two with vibration due to mud sticking to the drive shaft to the rear diff.

Are you talking about the CV joints and front half shafts that drive the front wheels or the universal joints on the drive shaft to the rear diff or rear wheels on the 4WD version? The price and the whole drive shaft comment sounds like it is the front half shafts and CV joint. These are expensive for most FWD cars.

We had a number of 2004 2.3L 4WD Ford Escapes as company cars. I do not recall any issues with Uni joints but we did have one or two with vibration due to mud sticking to the drive shaft to the rear diff.

NOT 4x4 and its the main drive shaft with uni joints both ends. 2.3ltr

Like most FWD cars the Escape front drive axles use CV joints, not conventional cardan type universal joints. CV joints are usually expensive but 48,000 baht sounds way high. CV joints also usually make a clicking sound while turning sharp when they begin to fail.

Maybe a visit to another Ford dealer or independent mechanic to check the price and diagnosis would be worth a try.

Sounds like the question you should be asking is: Does anyone know a place that reconditions Escape driveshafts?

Thanks, but if there were such a company, i would have been told of them by now.

And would you REALLY trust Thai "workmanship"???

OK! what choice is there ? However the answer is NO !

Sounds like the question you should be asking is: Does anyone know a place that reconditions Escape driveshafts?

Thanks, but if there were such a company, i would have been told of them by now.

I'm going back a bit but in some Thai car magazine I can't remember which one but they had reconditioned CV drive shaft's go to paper shop and have a browse it might save you some money.

How about trying a breakers yard and getting a second hand set? 50K is getting a bit on the expensive side, and you will never get it back on resale.

Do not know of a breaker on Samui and workshop owner tells me that to get second hand part "No possible"

reconditioned part "sorry no possible"

Please note, this is not a set of U/J's but the whole drive shaft with fixed U/J's at each end.

give it to a thai who can do welding,they can fix annything !

My Ford ranger has a driveshaft with a grease -nipple,in the dealership they never greased it ,because the greasepump had a mouth wich was to wide to

fit to the nipple.Afther 100 000 km there was slack on the drive shaft ,they wanted to replace the driveshaft (12 000 bht) I told them the cause was the lack of grease ,so their mistake ,theirs to pay.

I personaly took their grease-pump ,filed the mouth and put it on the nipple ,pumpt and waited for the old grease to come out first.....but it didn't ,only new grease came out ,soo there was never grease in it . Still they didn't want to replace it for free. So i took the shaft to a thai street shop ,he fixed it ,and now 70 000km further .....no problemo !

Hi I'm a new Thaivisa user. Can anyone help me in locating LPG systems repairing workshop in Chiang Mai? I have fitted my Ford Escape 2001 model with E@gas LPG systems. For the past 2 years I have not been able to locate any workshop that has the E@gas program software here in Chiang Mai. I have already gone twice to Bangkok (GMC Workshop) to retune and fix some problems. GMC is really good but I can't afford to go once again to BKK.

Type Ford Escape CV Joint into ebay. AUD$240 plus postage for the pair, from St Peters NSW Australia. I use them and Driveline Sydney all the time albiet Toyota Landcruser Jeep and Corolla.

Thanks mate, but this model requires the complete drive shaft which has joints fixed at both ends..........Such a big/heavy item would cost an arm and a leg to ship in.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in Bangkok I could help you with my thai independent fixer.

Thanks a lot mate, but i have had it done now. I inquired in oz and found it would have been even more expensive there. Apparently its one of the "tough luck" repairs with all SUV's